Media coverage 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he Deputy Prime Minister in this scenario?

Don’t get me wrong, we are owned by an individual, not a state, but I’m showing why they’re saying the opposite.

I get that, but just showing by our wanky journos standards an individual cannot be a member of a government and have a privately owed business, unless tgey are all hypocrites and singling out our owners for some strange reason.

I know, and for the record you’re preaching to the converted. I’m just pointing out that - purely in my opinion - it’s not unreasonable for journalists to link City’s ownership to the UAE government, and I would base that opinion on ADUG having been motivated to buy an English football club for reasons other than altruism - again, purely in my opinion
Personally I don't subscribe to the idea that we were bought for "Sportswashing" reasons. Putting Abu Dhabi's name out there(which never used to be called sportswashing) may have been one of the reasons but it clearly wasn't the primary one. They'd have bailed years ago if that was the case, they were under far less scrutiny before they entered football, all it's done is intensified it, increasing the more success we have if anything.

Even the Etihad link, to me it seems logical that it was probably always the plan to use them but not as a "disguise" for state funding(that's journo spin). Etihad is a real business and they wanted/still want to grow the brand to compete with their neighbours Emirates... isn't that business? Does anyone object to United favouring American sponsors because their owners are from there?

ADUG are a private investment company too, so Sheikh Mansour may have been influenced by his connections(is that abnormal in business?) but he had the final say. Would anyone care if Obama influenced John Henry's/FSG's decision to take over Liverpool?

Last edited:
But @Exeter Blue I am here is not a journalist, he’s a long standing City fan under the misapprehension that the United Arab Emirates owns, by proxy, Manchester City and then compounded his mistake by saying it was a country, showing all that he’s not a clue about it.
I interpreted him and the other fella pedalling that direction as trying to portray the perspective from the journalist viewpoint. Maybe I am assuming must blues especially posting on a public forum understand our ownership structure as it’s pretty simplistic.

But @Exeter Blue I am here is not a journalist, he’s a long standing City fan under the misapprehension that the United Arab Emirates owns, by proxy, Manchester City and then compounded his mistake by saying it was a country, showing all that he’s not a clue about it.

My apologies. Abu Dhabi. My point was that if you accept - and you may or may not - the primary reason for the purchase of Manchester City was to promote Abu Dhabi, then it’s not hard to understand why journalists feel that it is reasonable for them to link our owners to AD

How come no fucker ever claimed AC Milan was owned by a country when that bent twat Berlusconi was Italian prime minister?
Quite a few did, to make it worse they were owned by that fucking countries pm, juve definitely felt the pressure from fiat when he agreed to increase Italian export fees on cars in exchange some Eu pr bollocks. Was a bonus for him face all over Brussels and biggest competitors backer lost about 10% of its value

Sadly, for the sake of this particular argument, the US Government does not own any British football clubs. The UAE does, albeit by proxy. There are plenty of things we can criticise American club owners and sponsors for - Standard Chartered being a case in point - but holding them to account for US foreign policy isn’t really a starter IMO. It’d be like pinning illegal whaling operations by the Japanese government on Chelsea, because they’re sponsored by Yokohama Tyres

I interpreted him and the other fella pedalling that direction as trying to portray the perspective from the journalist viewpoint. Maybe I am assuming must blues especially posting on a public forum understand our ownership structure as it’s pretty simplistic.
But he isn’t trying to represent the viewpoint of a journalist.
He states quite clearly above that we are owned by a country.
Then admits that he’s wrong about the UAE bit but we are owned by Abu Dhabi.
Without evidence to the contrary his opinion is inaccurate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.