Media Discussion - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
And here's me thinking they love to keep utd stories at the top of their page. Looks like the small print states "unless it's negative"
I thought I'd do a quick comparison to be fair. After all, maybe they never give it prominence because it's technically a friendly.

The current page:
Screenshot 2024-08-11 at 2.03.22 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-08-11 at 2.03.38 PM.png
The Community Shield is the next story down after the Scores and Fixtures and Football VIdeos sections. Genuinely putting a Tottenham friendly above the Community Shield in the rankings.

And the page the day after Arsenal won it last year during the women's World Cup (courtesy of WaybackMachine):

Screenshot 2024-08-11 at 2.03.01 PM.png
Two stories out of the first six during an actual tournament.

I see the hyperbole started early yesterday. An early move by the Rags with no end product was described as a 'goal of the season contender '.....if someone had been on the end of it and finished it. Utter bullshit.
You'll not see a better finish than the offside goal ha ha

Hoooofffff ……. “That’s a beautiful ball…. If someone can get on the end of it…… out for a City throw in.”

Repeat, no wonder the pricks think they played us off the park & have turned a corner.

What I always find strange is Rico Lewis never gets his age mentioned. It’s never Rico still a teenager & won everything in the game…. Or Rico 19. Same could be said of Nico’s age although more inexperienced.

They ignored the 4 academy starters getting their picture taken with the trophy or the fact 3 were all from Manchester & along with Foden to return.

So many narratives would have been created if it was on the other foot.
What you correctly describe is typical of the UK sports media's obsession with certain narratives regarding favoured clubs and individuals across all sports.

Last night I followed the discussion on Max Woosnam in the 'Paris Olympics' thread, which was stimulated by Clare Balding's comment on Andy Murray's retirement from tennis (she claimed, hyperbolically, that he was 'Britain's greatest ever sportsman', which has some merit but as I say was rather over the top..)

The discussion on Max Woosnam relates to your post above in that it took me back to one of the few conversations I remember having with my maternal Grandad 'Tim' (as in his nickname, 'Tipperary Tim' not his real name, Bert!) before he died prior to my eighth birthday.

My Dad and I were talking football one day when Grandad came to our gaff. Dad was telling me all about Max Woosnam and how he could play any sport at the highest level.. including captaining City to 2nd place in Division One; captaining England at both amateur and professional levels; winning Olympic gold at tennis; winning Wimbledon slams in Doubles and Mixed Doubles; being a top ranked golfer who could've played on the Tour; scored a century at Lord's; and so on and so on..

I remember asking my Dad why us kids hadn't heard of this amazing guy who Dad clearly put on the top pedestal along with Peter Doherty as City's greatest ever player (Colin Bell was some five years away from signing for us at that time!)

To which Grandad Tim interrupted, 'You'd know all about him if he'd played for that bleeding shower at Old Trafford, that's for sure..'

So, here we are, sixty years on, with commentary on and coverage of yesterday's game (or any other sporting matter for discussion) being, in effect, no different from how my old Grandad called it that day to me.. always favouring 'that bleeding shower' across town..

'Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose..' as we used to say back in Hulme.. (we could've been twinned with Paris..!)

Last edited:
What you correctly describe is typical of the UK sports media's obsession with certain narratives regarding favoured clubs and individuals across all sports.

Last night I followed the discussion on Max Woosnam in the 'Paris Olympics' thread, which was stimulated by Clare Balding's comment on Andy Murray's retirement from tennis (she claimed, hyperbolically, that he was 'Britain's greatest ever sportsman', which has some merit but as I say was rather over the top..)

The discussion on Max Woosnam relates to your post above in that it took me back to one of the few conversations I remember having with my maternal Grandad 'Tim' (as in his nickname, 'Tipperary Tim' not his real name, Bert!) before he died prior to my eighth birthday.

My Dad and I were talking football one day when Grandad came to our gaff. Dad was telling me all about Max Woosnam and how he could play any sport at the highest level.. including captaining City to 2nd place in Division One; captaining England at both amateur and professional levels; winning Olympic gold at tennis; winning Wimbledon slams in Doubles and Mixed Doubles; being a top ranked golfer who could've played on the Tour; and so on and so on..

I remember asking my Dad why us kids hadn't heard of this amazing guy who Dad clearly put on the top pedestal along with Peter Doherty as City's greatest ever player (Colin Bell was some five years away from signing for us at that time!)

To which Grandad Tim interrupted, 'You'd know all about him if he'd played for that bleeding shower at Old Trafford, that's for sure..'

So, here we are, sixty years on, with commentary on and coverage of yesterday's game (or any other sporting matter for discussion) being, in effect, no different from how my old Grandad called it that day to me.. always favouring 'that bleeding shower' across town..

'Plus ca change, c'est la meme chose..' as we used to say back in Hulme.. (we could've been twinned with Paris..!)

Have you noticed that no City players ever get in the best prem league. Its funny that all the improvements in athletic performance & yet none of our players are better than tubby cunts from the 90s,

I thought I'd do a quick comparison to be fair. After all, maybe they never give it prominence because it's technically a friendly.

The current page:
View attachment 127951

View attachment 127952
The Community Shield is the next story down after the Scores and Fixtures and Football VIdeos sections. Genuinely putting a Tottenham friendly above the Community Shield in the rankings.

And the page the day after Arsenal won it last year during the women's World Cup (courtesy of WaybackMachine):

View attachment 127953
Two stories out of the first six during an actual tournament.
Clear and obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.