Media Discussion - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can’t find a highlights programme on terrestrial TV anywhere, hmmm.
For the Community Shield? Have they ever shown highlights of it before?

There's extended highlights on City's website and the full 3 hour show on the ITVX app. At least you can fast forward through the waffle.

It's an empty threat.
Both the Trade Marks Act and IP Regulations make offences out for manufacture, distribution, sale and retail of goods containing Trade Marks (club & sponsors logos) or sufficiently imitating (looking like, doesn't have to be an exact copy) the club shirts in question.
Owning or wearing one is not an offence.
They certainly could eject you from the stadium although it really wouldn't be a good look. It's not like they'll be stopping anyone wearing a shirt for the correct labelling either. It's a very peculiar statement to put out. I'm guessing they won't be checking the away fans?

The managerial genius has a game later in the latest chapter of his preeminent career. I’d say it’s highly likely Plymouth Argyle will be in league one next August.
By which time they will have reverted back to being called Plymouth Argyle again rather than Wayne Rooney's Plymouth Argyle.

What you correctly describe is typical of the UK sports media's obsession with certain narratives regarding favoured clubs and individuals across all sports.

Last night I followed the discussion on Max Woosnam in the 'Paris Olympics' thread, which was stimulated by Clare Balding's comment on Andy Murray's retirement from tennis (she claimed, hyperbolically, that he was 'Britain's greatest ever sportsman', which has some merit but as I say was rather over the top..)

The discussion on Max Woosnam relates to your post above in that it took me back to one of the few conversations I remember having with my maternal Grandad 'Tim' (as in his nickname, 'Tipperary Tim' not his real name, Bert!) before he died prior to my eighth birthday.

My Dad and I were talking football one day when Grandad came to our gaff. Dad was telling me all about Max Woosnam and how he could play any sport at the highest level.. including captaining City to 2nd place in Division One; captaining England at both amateur and professional levels; winning Olympic gold at tennis; winning Wimbledon slams in Doubles and Mixed Doubles; being a top ranked golfer who could've played on the Tour; scored a century at Lord's; and so on and so on..

I remember asking my Dad why us kids hadn't heard of this amazing guy who Dad clearly put on the top pedestal along with Peter Doherty as City's greatest ever player (Colin Bell was some five years away from signing for us at that time!)

To which Grandad Tim interrupted, 'You'd know all about him if he'd played for that bleeding shower at Old Trafford, that's for sure..'

So, here we are, sixty years on, with commentary on and coverage of yesterday's game (or any other sporting matter for discussion) being, in effect, no different from how my old Grandad called it that day to me.. always favouring 'that bleeding shower' across town..

'Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose..' as we used to say back in Hulme.. (we could've been twinned with Paris..!)
I love it when you come out with one of your stories. Always a good read, and always makes me think of you as everyone's favourite grandad.

The Sunday Times Sport front page has a headline about the rags transfer news. The last but one paragraph does mention the Community Shield, but only to say that Wan Bissaka was left out of the squad, "which United drew 1-1, before losing 7-6 on penalties". You had to wait until page 12 to read about our win, after the Championship games, but before another double page Liverpool spread on that book promotion story they ran with yesterday. Cunts!
The ToryGraph follows a similar vein. They acknowledge somewhere in the verbiage about the Rags that we won, but the headline is composed by the Rag media luvvies and they want to know how long before the 'deposed kings of the PL are back'! And throughout the entire coverage of the Paris Olympics the only football article was more shite about the Rags.

Last edited:
Stewart Robson "It's a shame Sancho didn't score"

No Robson you fucking clown. It's a shame he's on £300,000 a week
I think it's hilarious that the Rags are paying this Billy Big Bollocks wamker so much money.
Nobody else will pay him that and they'll have to keep paying him or subsidise a fair chunk of that if anyone wants to take him on.loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.