Media persecution of Raheem Sterling

Whilst this is no doubt all correct I would question the timing, unless he bought it yesterday. I'm not in the least bit wedded to any of the conspiracy theories about City, but: He's had a weekend where he's almost been lauded for not 'going to ground' following the Walker push in the box. Just in case opposition fans might be tempted to stop booing him, here's a non-story to remind them that they can all do their duty, next time he's on the pitch.

Evidence based logic doesn't wash with me mate!
It's the main article on their online Sport Page. Why is it there? Got nothing to do with football. It emphasises wealth, and the subtext is obvious. I don't recall other rich City players getting similar treatment.

It's the main article on their online Sport Page. Why is it there? Got nothing to do with football. It emphasises wealth, and the subtext is obvious. I don't recall other rich City players getting similar treatment.

Mario but for different reasons.

I think this is a different kettle of fish though. Players like Beckham, Rooney and Stevie Sliparse are internationally known figures, whose domestic lives are often featured in Vogue and similar publications, plus, and this is a key point, those articles on the rest of them aren't based on a wilful intention to mislead the reader. Yes, there's a clear common element, which you refer to (Footballer earning X buys........), but in Sterling's case, apart from the sheer number of times he is being featured (or targeted, depending on your viewpoint), there's surely more to it. In the summer, the press knew damned well that the bling house in question was one that he'd purchased 2 years earlier for his mum, but they tried to portray it as one he'd just bought for himself and presented as a giant sized, empty headed, 'fuck you' to the British public after his dismal performances in the European Championship - 'Raheem doesn't care about England, just his tasteless gold taps', was very much the message.
Similarly the Poundland thing was a device to reinforce the notion of the lad as a vulgarian. The photo of him in the shop was 3 years old (was it not newsworthy when he was a Liverpool player?!), but was again presented as current, and the story itself just a means of feeding the reader such nuggets as "he drives a £500k Bentley car and lives in a £3.5m mansion" and "one week in November he brought a different car to training every day".
And now this latest load of bollocks barely 3 weeks later. I think Ric is unquestionably right in raising the possibility of a racially motivated angle as well as a personal one. It's the Donald Trump supporting, Katie Hopkins employing, Mail we're talking about, a publication that relishes the opportunity to portray immigrants in a particular light and I doubt they would balk at extending that policy to convince its readership that young black men have no class, no taste and are only interested in showing off their bling. Otherwise why Sterling all the time? Why not Aguero, why not Coutinho, why not Gary Cahill?

I think this is a different kettle of fish though. Players like Beckham, Rooney and Stevie Sliparse are internationally known figures, whose domestic lives are often featured in Vogue and similar publications, plus, and this is a key point, those articles on the rest of them aren't based on a wilful intention to mislead the reader. Yes, there's a clear common element, which you refer to (Footballer earning X buys........), but in Sterling's case, apart from the sheer number of times he is being featured (or targeted, depending on your viewpoint), there's surely more to it. In the summer, the press knew damned well that the bling house in question was one that he'd purchased 2 years earlier for his mum, but they tried to portray it as one he'd just bought for himself and presented as a giant sized, empty headed, 'fuck you' to the British public after his dismal performances in the European Championship - 'Raheem doesn't care about England, just his tasteless gold taps', was very much the message.
Similarly the Poundland thing was a device to reinforce the notion of the lad as a vulgarian. The photo of him in the shop was 3 years old (was it not newsworthy when he was a Liverpool player?!), but was again presented as current, and the story itself just a means of feeding the reader such nuggets as "he drives a £500k Bentley car and lives in a £3.5m mansion" and "one week in November he brought a different car to training every day".
And now this latest load of bollocks barely 3 weeks later. I think Ric is unquestionably right in raising the possibility of a racially motivated angle as well as a personal one. It's the Donald Trump supporting, Katie Hopkins employing, Mail we're talking about, a publication that relishes the opportunity to portray immigrants in a particular light and I doubt they would balk at extending that policy to convince its readership that young black men have no class, no taste and are only interested in showing off their bling. Otherwise why Sterling all the time? Why not Aguero, why not Coutinho, why not Gary Cahill?

What about Cahill? - https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/n...-mega-mansion-despite-neighbours-kicking-off/

I'm not disagreeing that he's had disgusting treatment in the past, and he might well do in the future (and if he does I'll be one of the first putting complaints in) but this isn't part of that. This is just what everyone goes through. Wilshere isn't a household name worldwide, nor is Luke Shaw who's had it, Gary Cahill, Sol Campbell - all of whom have got the same article.

The sink fiasco was appalling, the twitter picture was borderline comical, but this house article isn't part of a campaign against Sterling, it's what they all get.

You can't just jump at any and all media coverage and throw it in with the unfair stuff, or you create a world where no media coverage of one of England's top players is a campaign, and it isn't. You can't point to this article and scream racism when there's literally dozens of articles with almost the exact same wording but different photos for white footballers.

If you do this, it will become just like the media bias against City thread where it descends into conspiracy theories and stops being taken seriously - people will laugh off the genuine racial element the coverage in the summer seemed to have. Keep the complaints to articles that actually are unfair treatment.

And for what it's worth, the sink thing, along with the Sun's prolonged campaign against him turned the public and the sports press (who weren't actually involved in that) against Sterling bashing. They went too far and everyone knows it. The poundland thing got dominated not by the original story but by the fact it was from an old article and the reaction from pretty much everyone was disdain for the paper not the player.

Last edited:
Media pandering to the vermin and red scouse shite. Oh well, just another day.
I don't even think they are pandering to them, they just are them. If you think about the age profile of the average journalist, they all either grew up when the rags won everything or when Liverpool did, and we all know the average journalist is too spineless to have supported anyone other than the team that was winning everything growing up.

There's no such thing as bad publicity and this is hardly a hit piece.

Sterling bought a new mansion, kudos to him.
It's not overtly decadent or lavishly/tastelessly decorated, if anything people'll just envy him or applaud him for it.

Must be a slow news day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.