Media persecution of Raheem Sterling

I think his father was actually killed in front of Sterling's grandfather, not in front of Raheem.

It is amazing though and I said this when the gun tattoo furore happened and people said he was a terrible role model - Raheem Sterling is an immigrant who grew up in a council estate known for its gangs and worked every day of his childhood to maximise his natural talent and succeeded in pulling his entire family out of poverty forever by the time he was 20.

And now, just after his 24th birthday, he's used his platform to start a nationwide debate about racism to protect younger black players and stop them going through what he had to endure.

He's as good a role model as you could want from a footballer.

It's not something they want really out there, but I was told Raheem was sadly present.

Anyhow, the guy is a great role model for kids with supposed glass ceilings.

It's not something they want really out there, but I was told Raheem was sadly present.

Anyhow, the guy is a great role model for kids with supposed glass ceilings.

In general, he seems like quite a good role model: some of the little stories that come out indicate that he is a polite considerate young man. Some of the media are obviously guilty of trying to sensationalise his lifestyle and paint him in a misleading light. He's not obliged to take on the mantle of role model but he is a bright guy and I think he could really make a difference if he wanted to put himself out there and publicly get behind certain causes.

Snidey question from the Daily Fail at the press conference yesterday. It came across as though it was trying to get pep to say he'd tamed Sterling's bastard side.

If you get a picture like that then it has to be used. Sterling is one of the most talked about footballers right now and it's a great shot with contrasting emotions. A picture that is truly representative of the game would just have a pic of the scoreboard. Stick a picture of Muric or Zinchenko up and no one will know who it is. Stick a picture of the city squad celebrating then it just becomes another picture of our squad celebrating. 100% this would be the most interesting photo taken of the night regardless of who was in it but the impact is increased several times over because Raheem is one of the most famous footballers in England right now.

If you get a picture like that then it has to be used. Sterling is one of the most talked about footballers right now and it's a great shot with contrasting emotions. A picture that is truly representative of the game would just have a pic of the scoreboard. Stick a picture of Muric or Zinchenko up and no one will know who it is. Stick a picture of the city squad celebrating then it just becomes another picture of our squad celebrating. 100% this would be the most interesting photo taken of the night regardless of who was in it but the impact is increased several times over because Raheem is one of the most famous footballers in England right now.
I'm not having that,it shows him being laughed at which is perfect after he outed the media last week,it's not representative of the game at all,zinchy scoring his first goal for us and the winner is much more representative,it's just another dig at him and i'm sure there was much smiling in the press rooms

I'm not having that,it shows him being laughed at which is perfect after he outed the media last week,it's not representative of the game at all,zinchy scoring his first goal for us and the winner is much more representative,it's just another dig at him and i'm sure there was much smiling in the press rooms
‘It’s shows him being laughed at’. Aw.

I laughed too, right after thinking ‘fucking idiot’. It deserved to be laughed at. Sterling’s non reaction to the keepers reaction tells you all you need to know. It was there to be laughed at. In the era of clicks and attention grabbing, that photo will always take centre stage over little known Zinchenko scoring his first goal from the penalty spot.

The desire to be offended by some borders Liverpudlian levels.

Shouldn't have used that picture but having watched it on TV it wasn't as bad as on the night and Raz smiled at Ward who I believe he played with at the dippers before the picture was taken.

Irrelevant of colour or even it being City, imagine Henry, Rooney etc missing .... I'm not having it they would have used that shot. They'd have gone for the young keepers performance every time.

Last edited:
Why use a photo of Zinchenko scoring though when you have that photo there to attract the click? The outcome is the same, the match report is read and whoever cares to read it finds out we won the game. They also see an event rarely seen, a reaction from a keeper to a player who tried to take the piss, and who has the complete opposite reaction - both captured in the same photo. Whatever that person chooses to take from that is up to them. Some will laugh. Some will think ‘dickhead’, which is what I thought watching it live. Some will think the keeper was a dick. Some will think sterling had balls to try it. Most simply wont care either way.
its actually a great photo of the emotions of football,sterling tried to take the piss,ward took the piss,excellent photo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.