Media persecution of Raheem Sterling

Are you kidding? He would become public enemy number one if he did that. He'd be painted as thinking he's bigger than England. Anyway, the kid is clearly fired up to prove his doubters wrong so I bet he's dying to become a key man for the country.
If he did retire from English football he would get absolutely battered by the media, just like now. Then it would stop imo.

It's a predictable pattern nowadays... England do shite, they look to sterling to scapegoat/moan, the hate press dies down until next major tourny, it all starts again. He's actually getting good press at the moment LOL.

anyway I jest, just would be interesting to see the stark difference in reporting if he did it after Scholes and Shearer both "retired"

If he did retire from English football he would get absolutely battered by the media, just like now. Then it would stop imo.

It's a predictable pattern nowadays... England do shite, they look to sterling to scapegoat/moan, the hate press dies down until next major tourny, it all starts again. He's actually getting good press at the moment LOL.

anyway I jest, just would be interesting to see the stark difference in reporting if he did it after Scholes and Shearer both "retired"

Perception is actually changing for the better, because you simply cannot argue with his output this year. But if he's poor in Russia he'll become the scapegoat I bet.

Definately

It was quite interesting reading the press from Euro16 about Sterling, https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...uring-england-nightmare-at-euro-2016---where/ - How things have changed.

Ha. That's interesting. I remember watching that game with a load of dads from the football team I coach. I had quite a heated discussion with one (typical know-nowt football big mouth) who was saying "Sterling is shit". I was saying "He's not shit. He can play. He's just lost his confidence".

Perception is actually changing for the better, because you simply cannot argue with his output this year. But if he's poor in Russia he'll become the scapegoat I bet.
One of the reasons I would be fine if he retired from international football as a statement.

I know you have said the abuse would get worse if he did, and I agree, but there’s a bigger point in that: he’ll get all of the blame if they fail and very few of the plaudits if the succeed, so why continually undertake the endeavour?

It’s akin to an abusive relationship.

I was trying to think of a new chant for the lad, he deserves it.
The best I could come up with was “The answer my friend, is Sterling on the wing”

They get a lot of this stuff from social media - Twitter and particularly Instagram. Anyone can see what Sterling and his friends are up to by following those accounts. If it really bothers him then I'm sure he'd keep it private but by publicising it then it make him fair game. So we have to assume it doesn't bother him in the slightest because if it did, it wouldn't be splashed all over social media.

Have you never wondered why paparazzi just happen to be on a beach where a celeb is? Most of the time it's all set up. After all, there's no such thing as bad publicity is there?

Perhaps it's an old-fashioned view but if you want to keep it private then keep it private. If you don't, then don't complain.

As an aside...
Of our players, I think that Sterling is the least likely to be awarded a penalty - this past season he's been fouled numerous times in the box without a penalty being awarded.

He came to us with a reputation for diving - which he's largely eliminated from his game - but I guess that the reputation still haunts him, as he's fouled time and again in the box with no call.

Somewhat related to this topic - under the rubric of "persecution by referees."

Last edited:
They get a lot of this stuff from social media - Twitter and particularly Instagram. Anyone can see what Sterling and his friends are up to by following those accounts. If it really bothers him then I'm sure he'd keep it private but by publicising it then it make him fair game. So we have to assume it doesn't bother him in the slightest because if it did, it wouldn't be splashed all over social media.

Have you never wondered why paparazzi just happen to be on a beach where a celeb is? Most of the time it's all set up. After all, there's no such thing as bad publicity is there?

Perhaps it's an old-fashioned view but if you want to keep it private then keep it private. If you don't, then don't complain.
Come on col,most footballers do the same with instagram and twitter as it's the youngsters thing nowadays but he is the only one that the sun and the mail stalk and i mean stalk and write crappy things about,ususally how rich he is and what he spends his money on,there is a sinister angle to this,if there wasn't they would do the same to the others,he is the scapegoat for england as well,he is targeted by the media and pundits who do england games,as far as i can see he deserves none of it,he is as entitled as everyone to put his holiday snaps on social media without the witchunt

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.