Media Thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic victory for Harold that. Pity The Battle Of Hastings came only 3 weeks later and the English didn't have enough time to regroup and reinforce
Like many I only knew of the Battle of Hastings in that year until I was visiting a Customer many years ago in Market Weighton, I saw the monument at Stamford Bridge and was surprised at the battle date. As you say, it was a precursor to Hastings and severely hampered that battle.

Like many I only knew of the Battle of Hastings in that year until I was visiting a Customer many years ago in Market Weighton, I saw the monument at Stamford Bridge and was surprised at the battle date. As you say, it was a precursor to Hastings and severely hampered that battle.
To get to Battle(the town) just outside Hastings Harold got his men to walk 25 miles a day which is crazy. They got there in 9 days picking up the fyrd soldiers along the way and spent a week preparing for battle which normally they would have around a month. Williams army have 3 weeks rest before and Harold very nearly won which is remarkable considering the odds were massively stacked against him

Always stop off at Stamford Bridge for the local Chippy, on the way back from Bempton. Stretch the old legs by the river.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.