Media Thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Walton not embarrassed that he refereed in the top flight & didn’t know the rules, he should be saying thank fck for VAR.
Walton was the most consistently bent referee I've ever seen in my life. Fortunately he was fired by the PL (officially "resigned to take up another job in the US") when they were faced with incontrovertible evidence of his corrupt refereeing. Why the fuck BT have scraped the bottom of the barrel having him as their ex-referee panel member I'll never know. Dump him and get Mark Halsey in.

Last edited:
The Fail backtracking spectacularly now that someone with a knowledge of the offside law has had a word.

The Fail backtracking spectacularly now that someone with a knowledge of the offside law has had a word.

They still got it wrong he didn’t get two yellows it was a yellow then a straight red from what I saw.

From my wonky memory that was a ricochet from Milner not a deliberate attempt to play so the rule was correctly applied.
I don't think the law made a distinction between deliberate and accidental when that happened. If that was the case then it was a goal butMilner definitaly tried to head it clear so it still would have been classed as 'deliberate'.

I don't think the law made a distinction between deliberate and accidental when that happened. If that was the case then it was a goal butMilner definitaly tried to head it clear so it still would have been classed as 'deliberate'.
The point was that Sané was never in an offside position when a City player played the ball. The officials thought it was a City player who headed the ball goalwards when it was actually Milner. His intentions were neither here nor there.

Someone punching the ball into the net and getting away with it is morally unpalatable. Somebody blatantly diving to get a penalty is morally unpalatable. Somebody play acting to get a player sent off is morally unpalatable. Somebody winning the ball back from another player is normal and honest. Rodri wouldn't have had a clue if he was offside or not when he made that challenge, he was just doing his job. He wouldn't care, why should he it isn't his responsibility, it's the officials and var. All these words like unpalatable, not fair, doesn't sit right, this feigned outrage are all used to sully our name as per usual and whip the cretins of other club's into a frenzy. THAT is what's unpalatable.
Absolutely bang on the money, especially with your last sentence. This is the nub of the matter as far as the UK sports and football media goes. It underpins every post in this thread regarding the media, from the very first one up until today's contributions by Blues who are, quite rightly, irate with the unfair treatment that has been doled out to our club since 2008. The only thing that ever changes is the particular incident involved; whatever it is (from FFP/CAS to a 'morally unpalatable goal award' etc etc) the media response is always to sully our name and whip up the tribal cretins of other clubs, as you put it.

I posted a while ago quoting a line from a song by The Smiths ('Heavy words are so lightly thrown'), referring to the lack of accountability and awareness of the consequences of their actions among media johnnies like the cretins pontificating on City's game last night. From Ferdinand's ravings to Walton with his initial analysis of our first goal, they demonstrated not only their partiality and incompetence but also their complete lack of concern regarding the impact of what they are saying.

These people know the outcomes of what they say but they don't care what falls out from it. If they did care, they would know and research their jobs properly, including knowing the laws of the game. And they would demonstrate their lack of partiality by giving credit to any and every team, whenever it is due. But they don't do that for most clubs that they don't favour; and they certainly don't as far as City is concerned.

Growing up as a kid starved of football on the television in the late 50s/early 60s, it was thrilling to see football, ANY football on the box. Sure, we had tribal loyalties but we enjoyed whatever was on offer, frugal as it was, including supporting other teams in European competitions.

It isn't just looking back through rose-tinted glasses to say that commentaries then were always worth listening to. Wolstenholme, Weeks, Lofthouse, Davies, Moore, Coleman et al were mainly factual, to the point and authoritative in describing the game put before us. When the World Cup came in 1966, television responded with wall-to-wall coverage and innovations such as the 'action replay' and the 'expert panel' (well-respected players who'd become successful managers like Greenwood, Revie and our own dear 'Uncle' Joe Mercer; their analyses of players and tactics had gravitas, teaching us about the game and the only points of contention were such as when 'Uncle' Joe kept on referring to Pele as 'Pee-Lee'..!)

Compare that to the sensationalist ravings we're often presented with by the television providers nowadays. To me, it's almost as though everyone involved with football coverage has to be a fully paid up member of the Church Of The Nine Day Wonder.. 'This will be the greatest game in the history of football; No! the next one coming up will be the greatest game of football ever, featuring the greatest players ever!!; This will be the most talked about incident in football since the last one we can't give a toss to remember the details of! And it's all on (insert your channel of choice here)..!!!' ..and so on and so on..

All the sports and football media cares about is getting clicks and advertising revenue. And hang the consequences.

A consequence for me has been the change from being someone who always supported an English side whenever football was played and who always believed that, for the greater good and interests of the game, a sharing out of the trophy spoils was to be preferred (like when I was growing up, between 1959 when I first went to Maine Road and 1972, 11 different clubs won the title across the 14 seasons while 12 different clubs won the FA Cup).

However, now I couldn't give a stuff for other teams except my own and if City won the next 10 titles on the bounce plus dominated in Europe, I would be most content with that outcome and sod the rest of them, especially our venal media!

Last edited:
To be fair to Gallagher he said in the laws of the game it's a goal, but morally it was wrong. So in future we just make sure any goals we score are within the rules, moral and not unpalatable to the media.
Is this what we’ve come to?
Being lectured on the ‘morality’ of the offside laws by people who clearly don’t understand them.
A bit like being taught democracy by trump supporters.

all these ex players earning a living in the press/media but proving to their bosses that they dont understand football. Only in the football world could you be so open about not understanding your job and not get the sack. Unbelievable Geoff !

they should be praising Moss for knowing the rules and not making a huge cock up by disallowing

Ignorance, lies, or plain bullshit, it doesnt matter when they are "reporting" on City. Their bosses turn a blind eye as long as they are getting the message across to the rag/dipper plastic subscribers that we dont deserve anything.

As for wio claiming that none of the players would know the rules, the fcking players dont ref the games wio, thankfully the ref knew the rule. The days are gone when you and wooney and co could influence a ref with your own interpretation.

Some of these ex player pundits citing that its not in the spirit of the game!!!!!! Have they ever looked at their own careers, fucking hypocrits. That bt studio was ridiculous post match, the grief was palpable, and that wanker who hosts couldnt wait to get across that scum could soon be back on top.

These cretins have been through it all before and they can see us winning it again.......... its killing them inside lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.