Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn’t Trafford Park the largest employer in factory’s in 1950s & 60s, wouldn’t that have had a bigger impact on crowds. Finish work Saturday at 12pm, then a few pints until they close just as the football starts?

Im not sure if any truth in it but my old fella used to talk about how many people worked there.

At 1 point 25,000 worked at Westinghouse alone

I still think that site is the best you'll find. I could be thinking of someone else here but I seem to recall GJ's point was a lot of City's attendances were under-reported(the Swales era for example). So if they are slightly off, it's through no fault of the site and nobody else can claim their figures are more accurate because they'd be guessing(since that's what the club reported).

Regarding the seasons in the topflight(although Wiki is also a reliable source for that too). Yep, I like to point that out too, to the City bingo players.

As we know, 5 of City's seasons outside of the topflight came in the first decade of the PL era, a real low point(you could argue the worst) for the club. Without those troubles, City would have a higher total than the rags. Those 4 seasons in a row without topflight football in the 90s, were a club record since they first reached that level back in 1899. I think that says something about City as a club. There can't be many clubs who fair better than that. Liverpool and United don't for example. Only Arsenal from the big 6 can claim that, 2 seasons in a row is as bad as it's got for them, since their promotion in 1904. Everton are another(Villa aren't), with 3 in a row as their worst. That's some consistency, to be fair to them.

I don't even know where the term "yo-yo club" comes from for City, considering the fact that City are in the top 6 for most topflight seasons in all of English football(how can that be?).

A yo-yo to me, has to be where a club comes up and goes straight back down again. Or do they have to be promoted, relegated and promoted again? Either way, that's only happened once to City by my reckoning. At the start of the 00s. They came close to doing that in the 80s(2 seasons before going back down) but other than that I just don't see any justification for it. IMO, the people who say that are those that took great glee in the City fans anguish as they got relegated again in the 2000/01 season, just when the fans thought the dark times were over. It just shows what empty heads they are. If they form the whole basis of their opinions of a club, though such a narrow scope. "That's all I remember, so that's all City are".
At least City have NEVER had the lowest average attendance in the top division, that's something the trafford club can never say. In one of Gary James excellent articles in the City program, trafford averaged 11.685 in 1930/31 season, long time ago but it was the lowest in the whole division. same season City averaged 26.849,more than double.

Wasn’t Trafford Park the largest employer in factory’s in 1950s & 60s, wouldn’t that have had a bigger impact on crowds. Finish work Saturday at 12pm, then a few pints until they close just as the football starts?

Im not sure if any truth in it but my old fella used to talk about how many people worked there.

At 1 point 25,000 worked at Westinghouse alone

In the early 90’s I used to work at that Westinghouse plant (was GEC by then) and there was a fantastic picture of rows upon rows of buses to transport the workers.

The other thing that stuck me is how smart the men leaving were. Looked like a couple of thousand and the majority were in overcoats and/or bowler hats.

Edit - just remembered this as well. In one of the corridors there was a series of panels on the wall for long service awards. They went up in 10 year increments. There was one guy who had worked there for 50 years!

In the early 90’s I used to work at that Westinghouse plant (was GEC by then) and there was a fantastic picture of rows upon rows of buses to transport the workers.

The other thing that stuck me is how smart the men leaving were. Looked like a couple of thousand and the majority were in overcoats and/or bowler hats.

Edit - just remembered this as well. In one of the corridors there was a series of panels on the wall for long service awards. They went up in 10 year increments. There was one guy who had worked there for 50 years!

Seen it in many places, 50 years in the same factory & at times on the same machine, sometimes generations.

In most factories the shift would be 6am to 2pm. That is why the traditional k.o. time is 3pm. No absenteeism (one shift only Saturday), just time for a pint and off to the match. People think that the rags is a Catholic club (which it isn't) because Trafford Park had thousands of Irish immegrant workers whose nearest game would be at the swamp.

I have never witnessed as many replays of a handball as I did last night. ITV, and others, are truly desperate to be on the side of United.

Seen it in many places, 50 years in the same factory & at times on the same machine, sometimes generations.
I worked at the same place for over 50 years, started when I was 15 and worked a couple of months over after my 65th birthday to get the 50 years. It used to be the old Fairey Engineering when I started, changed its name a few times while I was there but its still going. Been back a few times since to help them out, but definitely called it a day now.

I worked at the same place for over 50 years, started when I was 15 and worked a couple of months over after my 65th birthday to get the 50 years. It used to be the old Fairey Engineering when I started, changed its name a few times while I was there but its still going. Been back a few times since to help them out, but definitely called it a day now.

Some great banter from the fellas how things were done in the past. Great work fella, my old fella worked in the same job for 46 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.