Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last few pages, and in particular posts by Billy Shears and Prestwich Blue amongst others, have been a fantastic read.

Off the top of my head, there have been a number of suspicious goings on in the Premier League that have never really been looked at by any journalist.

Remember when "Fast-tracking" disciplinary hearings was rushed through to deal with Emmanuel Adebayor the week before the Manchester derby?

Remember when the referee from the West Ham home game changed his story and Sergio Aguero received a ban?

Remember when the Chief Executive of the Premier League said there was a "strategic plan to ensure a new name on the Premier League trophy every 6-7 years"?

Remember when the same man said that a poor Manchester United team was bad for the product?

Remember when it was reported that Liverpool and United got to vet the list of possible replacements for a subsequent Premier League Chief Executive?

Remember when Liverpool claimed to have spent £50 million in Stanley Park?

Remember when United cancelled a Premier League match because of a fake bomb but blamed a white van man in Wales and it was quickly brushed under the carpet?

Remember when United had to cancel another Premier League game after Gary Neville whipped their fans into such a frenzy that they broke into the stadium and altered the appearance of a police officer during what Neville described as "a peaceful protest"?

Remember when Liverpool were involved in the arrangements for our team bus to be attacked en route to Anfield?

Remember SKY sports becoming LFC TV for two years after they beat City 4-3, going as far as turning down the microphones in front of the away end halfway through a rendition of Bluemoon that threatened to compete with YNWA?

Remember when United paid £7 million for a player that their manager had never seen in his 26 professional matches?

What I don't remember is any of the above being given even 1% of the coverage, questions or column inches that are given to any mud that is slung City's way.

Most City fans can see quite clearly what goes on in the media. I even accept that it makes more sense from a business point of view for tv companies, newspapers and websites to show bias towards the red shirted teams. What I can't accept though, is the denial from them and the accusations from some City supporters that we are paranoid.
superb post.

This is from May last year.

The Anfield Wrap decided to do a "research" piece on the unhappy clubs of Manchester.....

Manchester: A Tale Of Two Owners​

They went to the swamp and it was all Glazers Out and the usual nonsense. But I've skipped to the Etihad where David Mooney gave a personal account of his conflicted relationship with City, based on our owner's human rights record and particularly their attitude to gays.

I have no doubt David feels these things deeply, his sincerity is not in question, where we profoundly disagree is when he extrapolates his personal view to paint a picture of a conflicted fan base.

"There are factions within the fan base"

"There are people who will go in to bat for the club no matter what happens"

"There are people who will go in to bat for the owners because of what they've done for the club"

"You can't help that"

David believes that most football fans fall in love with their club as kids, brainwashed by their parents, but as we get older and wiser we can see the bigger picture. Presumably in a more enlightened state of mind there are "City fans who aren't comfortable with the ownership and the ownership model", but can enjoy what takes place on the pitch in the consolation they'll still be cheering on their beloved club if the owners decide to leave.

One of the manifestations of David's angst is that he gives the club his season ticket money and nothing more.

"It's not City fans fault that the Premier League allows owners like Sheikh Mansour in"

"You can be critical of City fans for enjoying that (our success) and accepting that (our owners human rights record) but you shouldn't expect them (City fans) to just drop everything and walk away."

Thanks for posting this. I had previously tried to give David the benefit of the doubt but actually hearing him speak like this gives a different perspective.
What is he on about? Where are these divisions about the ownership amongst City fans? To be fair though, when we had Swales there weren't really issues about LGBTQ, although to be fair in those days it was mainly just LG. However, there was a division in the fan base then!!

Even allowing for undoubtedly dubious editing he again is allowing himself to be used as a vehicle for crap. There's a lot of fans very upset by the ESL and the fact City even joined and I was furious. There's others who think the ownership model detracts from a focus on City and Manchester but these are normal fanbase complaints about actions taken. There's no move towards ousting Sheikh Mansour.
The LGBTQ cause and acceptance is proceeding at different speeds all over the world layered over over by centuries of societal, cultural and religious drivers and interests. To simply compare the UAE against UK standards like for like is not correct and patronising. If David feels this issue so strongly then he should be campaigning to get rid of the ownership rather than sitting there earning money in such a hypocritical way.

I see Sam Lee is now trying to wind up blues on Twitter.

Its almost as is there has been some sort of plan between him and Mooney to antagonise blues.

Wtaf is he trying to achieve waving that big red flag at the Twitter bull? Apparently, he is looking for a serious discussion. On Twitter .... And then disappointed when he doesn't get it.

It's hard to take him seriously.

Last May, just after City had won the title, I watched CNN's sports show. Their two contributors were Rob Harris and Darren Lewis. I was gobsmacked at the fulsome praise they both lavished on City, Pep and our style of play. No caveats and no City Bingo bullshit about unlimited funds, squad cost, squad size, owned by a country, etc. It was just wall to wall positivity.

While a refeshingly uplifting watch it served only to reinforce my belief that the bitter, bile filled, snide rants, lies and innuendo both of them have aimed at City over the years is purely for the click bait driven domestic market dominated by fans of the American owned teams in red. Why the fuck can't they be that honest when they report on City for the domestic market?

Wtaf is he trying to achieve waving that big red flag at the Twitter bull? Apparently, he is looking for a serious discussion. On Twitter .... And then disappointed when he doesn't get it.

It's hard to take him seriously.
Nothing worse for a self opinionated, egotistical mouthpiece than being ignored and considered irrelevant.
He has nothing of interest to say and should find another sport to report on. Curling is quite topical.

Last May, just after City had won the title, I watched CNN's sports show. Their two contributors were Rob Harris and Darren Lewis. I was gobsmacked at the fulsome praise they both lavished on City, Pep and our style of play. No caveats and no City Bingo bullshit about unlimited funds, squad cost, squad size, owned by a country, etc. It was just wall to wall positivity.

While a refeshingly uplifting watch it served only to reinforce my belief that the bitter, bile filled, snide rants, lies and innuendo both of them have aimed at City over the years is purely for the click bait driven domestic market dominated by fans of the American owned teams in red. Why the fuck can't they be that honest when they report on City for the domestic market?
Indeed.

Travel around Europe and talk about us with locals. We're scared and revered by the fans and media alike.

It's only our domestic media that seems intent on destroying our reputation.

FSG and the rags are the shadiest fuckers in league with Arsenal edging them close.

I suppose having influence in media companies helps protect their image and any stories such as funding the Taliban via a shirt sponsor or proven cheating are buried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.