Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? (and I don't mean sarcastic 'really', I mean intrigued 'really')

I missed the Leeds/United game on Sunday due to my fuckwit brother-in-law. I'll listen out for this in future. I've always thought that Tyler toes the party line and backs the redshirt clubs but has utter disdain for City.
If you go on most team's forums you'll find threads about Tyler's supposed bias against them. Think he generally seems to favour the home team, but I guess if you're proving unpopular with so many fanbases then maybe it's time to hang up the mic.

I would buy or even subscribe to newspapers if they gave me what I wanted. Just one look at the Newsnow front page summeriser and you can see missleading headlines (most of which have titles begining with 'Liverpool' and that's ok). They have made the whole thing about (made up) finance issues. It seems there is nothing else.

I want more about actual football. There is a long piece in the MEN (I know) by Simon B, about one of our young full backs Rico Lewis. It's very good and could have been even better. There is a young lad called something like Ellabodoui, who was decent but left and has even played against us, I think. He had to stop playing for 2 years, because he went blind, but is now starting again at Galatasery. I wouldn't mind knowing a bit about what Peterborough players are about and their journeys to football.This is what I expected from the Athletic.

The point being, they are so wrapped up in negative shit and clickbait, they are missing the whole point about supporting. They seem so wrapped up in the people one line who are just here for the trophies and not in the hard core support of teams.
It would appear we are a dying breed, and that would suit the Yank owners vision for the 'soccer franchise' business model and the ability to move the clubs or games where they want. It's going that way.

In case anyone has forgotten, two years ago we were sanctioned by European football's governing body, which saw fit to exclude us for two seasons from its competitions. It was a punishment that posed an existential threat to our club's ambitions to compete at the highest levels of English and European football.

The 'evidence' used as justification of UEFA's decision took the form of hacked internal correspondence. It was presented selectively in a foreign publication, but gave rise to intensive lobbying efforts on the part of rival clubs seeking to have strict penalties imposed on us. They were backed by the British sports media, whose hysterical coverage gave rise to a febrile atmosphere in which UEFA didn't feel it could be seen not to take strong action.

Two UK newspapers plus several individual journalists from other outlets (some with demonstrable links to the rival clubs pushing for us to be penalised) were instrumental in setting the tone for the more widespread reporting that created such an atmosphere. As was subsequently proven in the proceedings before the CAS, much of the reporting of the outlets and individuals I'm referring to was manifestly in bad faith, while some of it was outright mendacious.

These newspapers and individuals now lack the casus belli that they revelled in with regard to our FFP investigation. They very much haven't gone away, though: their attitude hasn't changed, and they're out to discredit our club however and whenever they can.

I appreciate that not everyone will be interested in discussing that, which is fine. Personally, though, I want to keep an eye on people who have a platform and admit that they want to use it to damage our club. This thread seems a perfectly suitable forum for discussing what I and others with a similar interest see. If others want to use that to say I'm a "radical" or in Sam Lee's words a "militant crank", then those are labels I utterly reject.
This also led to the Premier League investigation which is still ongoing and being used to further the cheating narrative.

Part of the problem is that from the outside the media is largely one blob so one article from one writer can provoke a response because we don't see it in isolation - it's part of the mass. From the inside that's just one guy writing one article and City fan's are frothing about something small. It's almost like a team taking it in turns to kick your best player - no one tackle is a red card tackle and Scott McTominay can hold his hands in the air acting innocent whilst still being part of a "cheating" culture or tactic.

The FFP/CAS/squad size stuff was and still is in my obviously biased opinion malicious and logically unsound. We were found "guilty" of breaking a rule that existed very briefly and was quickly amended and we operate under the same squad building regulations as everyone else - our subs bench against Tottenham demonstrate our squad isn't super sized. We also haven't cheated on a football pitch. Our 11 have played other 11's. Compare that with how the media talk about Juventus.

Some journalists are enjoying the crusade and having their egos massaged. We have fan media complaining that they dont get support and access from the club whilst some journalists are crying about our comms team weaponising the fan base. Someone is mistaken

So there you go - "may do an article"

Yeh right - ofc he's gonna write an article on the responses; that was his MO all along, for the rags and dippers to lap up

Gotta keep those interactions/subscriptions coming eh? (Seeing as that's what the overlords at the NYT demand from their journalists)

Smh

We don't know that but it again makes you wonder, if it was the case, whether that's to do with the NYT purchase, and the risk of anything sensitive getting to the likes of Panja, and thereby to his sources.

And as Ahsan said, he made a complete hash of FFP/CAS, refusing help from Stefan, and going public with his story that we were jsut going to get a slap on the wrist. He stuck to that story doggedly and I think I understand why, as I'd been categorically told that was Ceferin's objective. But we turned that option down so either he didn't really understand what he was told or he was being briefed by Ceferin's camp, not the club.

The Athletic are treated just like PA - on the outside of any pooled briefs.

The newspapers wouldn't have it.

I would buy or even subscribe to newspapers if they gave me what I wanted. Just one look at the Newsnow front page summeriser and you can see missleading headlines (most of which have titles begining with 'Liverpool' and that's ok). They have made the whole thing about (made up) finance issues. It seems there is nothing else.

I want more about actual football. There is a long piece in the MEN (I know) by Simon B, about one of our young full backs Rico Lewis. It's very good and could have been even better. There is a young lad called something like Ellabodoui, who was decent but left and has even played against us, I think. He had to stop playing for 2 years, because he went blind, but is now starting again at Galatasery. I wouldn't mind knowing a bit about what Peterborough players are about and their journeys to football.This is what I expected from the Athletic.

The point being, they are so wrapped up in negative shit and clickbait, they are missing the whole point about supporting. They seem so wrapped up in the people one line who are just here for the trophies and not in the hard core support of teams.
It would appear we are a dying breed, and that would suit the Yank owners vision for the 'soccer franchise' business model and the ability to move the clubs or games where they want. It's going that way.
Well said. Football probably has the worst journalism of any major sport. What should be trivial peripheries are seemingly more important to the media nowadays than the game itself.
The depressing, clickbait led race to the bottom means football’s media landscape is now dominated by often exaggerated, misreported and/or out of context soundbites, contrived controversies and groundless gossip rather than considered reporting and informed, good faith, non-tribal discussion.
Sports like cricket, boxing, golf, rugby, tennis enjoy much better journalism than football. And a lot of that is not necessarily because these sports have better writers, but because they are allowed to be better writers

I used to get annoyed by some of the biased stuff the media wrote about us but my attitude is different now.

The way I see it, is if we weren't relevant nobody would write about us. The fact we see sportswashing articles, FFP cheats, dodgy sponsors article etc (usually after a win) just makes me smile now.

We wouldn't see these type of articles if we weren't relevant. Nobody gave a shit about us when we were "everyones favourite team from Manchester" when we were in division 1 or 2 or when we were lower down the PL.

As long as these click bit articles keep getting written, the more successful were likely to be so I'm fine with that. We will never be the media darlings, so there's no point wasting your time on them. I nist laugh them on and sip on our rivals fans and journalists tears. It's fantastic!
trouble is the shit sticks , someone was talking about dutch football cant remember team or why boom up pops "atleast he'll play in front of fans" and off it went empty this empty that and there job is done

In case anyone has forgotten, two years ago we were sanctioned by European football's governing body, which saw fit to exclude us for two seasons from its competitions. It was a punishment that posed an existential threat to our club's ambitions to compete at the highest levels of English and European football.

The 'evidence' used as justification of UEFA's decision took the form of hacked internal correspondence. It was presented selectively in a foreign publication, but gave rise to intensive lobbying efforts on the part of rival clubs seeking to have strict penalties imposed on us. They were backed by the British sports media, whose hysterical coverage gave rise to a febrile atmosphere in which UEFA didn't feel it could be seen not to take strong action.

Two UK newspapers plus several individual journalists from other outlets (some with demonstrable links to the rival clubs pushing for us to be penalised) were instrumental in setting the tone for the more widespread reporting that created such an atmosphere. As was subsequently proven in the proceedings before the CAS, much of the reporting of the outlets and individuals I'm referring to was manifestly in bad faith, while some of it was outright mendacious.

These newspapers and individuals now lack the casus belli that they revelled in with regard to our FFP investigation. They very much haven't gone away, though: their attitude hasn't changed, and they're out to discredit our club however and whenever they can.

I appreciate that not everyone will be interested in discussing that, which is fine. Personally, though, I want to keep an eye on people who have a platform and admit that they want to use it to damage our club. This thread seems a perfectly suitable forum for discussing what I and others with a similar interest see. If others want to use that to say I'm a "radical" or in Sam Lee's words a "militant crank", then those are labels I utterly reject.
Agree entirely.

The continous mendacious and/or malicious articles written about our club this past 15 years or so need calling out wherever and whenever they appear. These have been created to serve to undermine our club in so many ways, mostly financially driven. In doing so they have sought to discredit our club especially in the eyes and opinions of the wider public.

If calling this out makes us 'tribal' or whatever description it suits sports media hacks to apply to us, then so be it. The very nature of being a supporter of a particular football club is to be part of that tribe, wherever it happens to be on this planet. So when my club and my tribe is attacked, I reserve the right to defend it and them.

But let me say, I will only (and I mean ONLY) do this with full consideration of the facts of each an every matter as it arises.

Thus, if my club or fellow Blues do something wrong/illegal, or fail to do the right thing morally, I will call them out on it (for example, our dreadful decision to get involved in the ESL; I know we were railroaded but had it been my call I would've said 'On yer bike' to that cartel, without question) Because that's who I am, how I was brought up to behave by my parents; how I learned to be as a manager in the pharmaceutical industry; and also in my subsequent career in Law since I retired from that industry.

So, if my club and my fellow Blues are attacked unfairly and without cessation, as they have been by certain parties for a decade and a half now, I will point out the injustice and unfairness of such attacks, without question, taking the perpetrators to task for their words and actions.

And to those who say these articles, these opinions etc are 'just part of the game, the 'bantz', something trivial that we shouldn't get riled up about', I say no, it is worthy of response, it should be confronted, not least because of the shady characters directing it in the background, who seek to benefit (especially financially) from undermining our club and (increasingly) our supporters.

Bullies, liars and dissemblers should always be challenged wherever and whoever they are. And that's exactly what these people are.

Well said. Football probably has the worst journalism of any major sport. What should be trivial peripheries are seemingly more important to the media nowadays than the game itself.
The depressing, clickbait led race to the bottom means football’s media landscape is now dominated by often exaggerated, misreported and/or out of context soundbites, contrived controversies and groundless gossip rather than considered reporting and informed, good faith, non-tribal discussion.
Sports like cricket, boxing, golf, rugby, tennis enjoy much better journalism than football. And a lot of that is not necessarily because these sports have better writers, but because they are allowed to be better writers
And this is the point. The vast majority of online and press stories about City are clickbait articles which fuel hatred from other fanbases or just distorted angles from press conferences which have already been watched by most fans. There are also lots of opnion pieces, often from freelancers who actually don't know much about football but have latched onto it as a meal ticket. There are very few interviews or proper analysis. Has anyone other than Bloomberg actually managed to do a proper interview with Khaldoon yet about City's real business model? Coverage of boxing and cricket is miles ahead of coverage of our national sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.