Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can also see from those comments that the narrative is still going in the Liverpool support that Everton should have definitely taken 2 points off City.

They're convinced:

That the phone call Lampard received, could only have been an apology and if it was an apology, it could have only been because it definitely should have been a penalty. Not explaining the decision, perhaps conceding where things could have been handled better(communication etc).

That there was definitely an offside check before the handball check and that they have proof Richarlison was onside in the build-up. Even though, Sky were never told about one during the game and no confirmation still-frame was shown at any point during or after the VAR check(odd no?).

Not to mention, NBC's own VAR check with their own software, had everyone in their studio saying it looked offside(unanimous apparently). Or that, had the check been done(and not shown to Sky's team or confirmed in any way), it would have been record timing on a call that close. To have completed it by the time Stockley Park were already showing Sky the images they were looking at on the handball call.

Aren't the offside checks also only automatic on goal decisions? If the linesmen are told to keep their flag down(if it's close), then surely this is an area that needs looking at. It would probably make penalty checks longer but if the linesman keeps his flag down because it's close or even he thinks a player is onside when he's not(as they do with goals sometimes). Then if it isn't automatic, why would the VAR go back and look for one? I do understand the pressure fans place on them, to get even the difficult calls done quickly but they seem like they are following a script like robots at times, with no common sense of their own. So, I'm convinced there wasn't an offside check personally. After weighing up what little information the media(Sky etc) are trying to lead the public to believe with, against what was/is still missing if the offside check was made(which far outweighs it).

The oddest thing about it for me, is still that Sky and company have convinced everyone there's been confirmation that it should have been a penalty when there was no official statement(as you'd expect there would be) by PGMOL or the FA. No confirmation that they think there was a conclusive angle on the handball(to overturn the refs call). No confirmation that the offside check was done before they got to that decision. We just have second hand information by an incensed Frank Lampard and the media's opinion on how that phone conversation went. I find it very hard to believe that PGMOL/The FA would even tell Frank the things people are convinced they told him, only to leave everyone else in the dark.

Are either of these likely:
"Hey Frank, keep this under your hat but we did check for an offside and he was miles on. We didn't think it was worth showing to anyone. We also think it was a clear handball now and deliberate. We fucked up massively here, don't tell anyone though ok? There's a good boy"

or

"We'll just confirm all this to you Frank and then you call brief the press how you want. We can't be arsed with all that. Who needs official statements eh?..."
Also if it was handball then, Sky would have shown the frontal view, as this didn’t happen (they 100% had a frontal view) you can bet your house it wasn’t handball!

ESPN keep finding these "analysts" to a find a way to show Liverpool have been wronged.

Reading the comments, they have gone full victim mode. They are convinced:

This is the proof that they deserve to be above City in the table already.

Despite the fact that, this is the table without VAR according to some self professed experts(probably uni students again). Meaning, the ref's first decisions would have been final and the calls that VAR got right would be wiped out. The point being, that the ref said no penalty during the Everton game. It also means if someone escaped 2 second yellow cards in a big game(potentially worth 6 points in the title race), that VAR has nothing to do with that either.

So their table doesn't reflect what they think it does. Neither did the other one they paid someone to research a few years back, to show Liverpool should have been top of the league/were the most hard done by. It was just some students opinions on referee calls, who were less qualified than the referees who made the calls in the first place.

Do ESPN have shares in Liverpool? They seem to be a full-on Liverpool fan-site at the moment... or do they have connections with the FSG group?

ESPN keep finding these "analysts" to a find a way to show Liverpool have been wronged.

Reading the comments, they have gone full victim mode. They are convinced:

This is the proof that they deserve to be above City in the table already.

Despite the fact that, this is the table without VAR according to some self professed experts(probably uni students again). Meaning, the ref's first decisions would have been final and the calls that VAR got right would be wiped out. The point being, that the ref said no penalty during the Everton game. It also means if someone escaped 2 second yellow cards in a big game(potentially worth 6 points in the title race), that VAR has nothing to do with that either.

So their table doesn't reflect what they think it does. Neither did the other one they paid someone to research a few years back, to show Liverpool should have been top of the league/were the most hard done by. It was just some students opinions on referee calls, who were less qualified than the referees who made the calls in the first place.

Whilst completely ignoring the diving of Mane and Salad. Nicely balanced as usual.

Also if it was handball then, Sky would have shown the frontal view, as this didn’t happen (they 100% had a frontal view) you can bet your house it wasn’t handball!
I actually thought at least one of the angles looked like it was hitting the sleeve already, one looked to be hitting the arm, another looked to be a bit in between both, if I remember right.

If you can't say with absolute certainty where the contact was, then by definition you will have to concede that it wasn't conclusive.

Then we have the offside.

Then we have the fact that a penalty isn't a goal or a guarantee of the end result, even if it is scored.

Then we have that fact that this was one decision. Even if it was a stonewall penalty(it wasn't but for arguments sake lets say it was), the media reaction to it would still be entirely disproportionate for like for like calls for other clubs. Whether they are in a title race or not.

Last edited:
I actually thought at least one of the angles looked like it was hitting the sleeve already, one looked to be hitting the arm, another looked to be a bit in between both, if I remember right.

If you can't say with absolute certainty where the contact was, then by definition you will have to concede that it wasn't conclusive.

Then we have the offside.

Then we have the fact that a penalty isn't a goal or a guarantee of the end result, even if it is scored.

Then we have that fact that this was one decision. Even if was a stonewall penalty(it wasn't), the media reaction to it would still be entirely disproportionate for like for like calls for other clubs. Whether they are in a title race or not.
I actually think he took the lace out, dribbled the ball like Meadowlark Lemon and then signed it before clearing it.
whogives a shit. Let the whole world moan and complain about us. It’s utterly pathetic and heartwarming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.