Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting that some elements of the English media seem determined to maintain their position that Athletico are just a bunch of scallywags and that somehow being good at the "dark arts" is something to boast about. It is all a bit of a lark. There has been very little focus on their racist fans making Hitler salutes in the first leg, booing the players taking a knee, and pelting Pep with bottles, and from some quarters, not much strong criticism of their players for trying to injure our team, spitting at our backroom staff, pulling hair, headbutting etc etc.
Why is it that Athletico fans, players, and their manager have such a problem with Manchester City? Are they driven by hatred and jealousy or is it political or even racial, given that their fans have a reputation in Spain for being anti-muslim? How much of their thuggish behaviour has been inflienced by the posionous way we are covered in the media both here and in Spain?
Some of the pundits seem to think what happened last night was just jolly japes from Simeone and his merry mob. I think the Athletico players behaved like animals and so did their thuggish Manager. Perhaps darker forces are driving the pure hatred of our club from many quarters.
You must remember that the dark arts of trying to cripple and main your opponent are nowhere near as serious as the tactical fouls only City commit. At least according Neville and his fellow band of lovers of the beautiful game.

It’s obvious the level of thuggery allowed against City has no limits. If anything the media are spinning it that we were just as bad if not worse last night. The media and establishment wanted us out and didn’t care how that was achieved. At some point one of our players will have his career ended by some Poundland thug following the advice of snide twats to “leave something on them”. It’s obvious no referee will protect our players so maybe the club should put out a warning that we will seek damages from anyone who intentionally injures our players. just remind the fuckers the referee may turn a blind eye be we won’t let them get away with it.

Todays Mirror
Wonderful Liverpool played their U23 team and still comfortably cruised into the CL semi finals after scoring another 3 goals against the Portuguese Champions at a raucous Anfield last night. Compare and contrast with little Manchester City, a team that has never even won the CL in its 12 year istree despite it’s oil state funding. City played all the big hitters in their obscenely expensive giant squad, except for potty mouthed 100m flop Jack Grealish. The fact dull, boring, dark arts City made the semi finals and an expansive, exciting, vibrant Chelsea team went out is akin to a war crime.

Terry Toshack McClair
Head honcho

It’s obvious the level of thuggery allowed against City has no limits. If anything the media are spinning it that we were just as bad if not worse last night. The media and establishment wanted us out and didn’t care how that was achieved. At some point one of our players will have his career ended by some Poundland thug following the advice of snide twats to “leave something on them”. It’s obvious no referee will protect our players so maybe the club should put out a warning that we will seek damages from anyone who intentionally injures our players. just remind the fuckers the referee may turn a blind eye be we won’t let them get away with it.
Smacks a bit of the Scousers wanting to sue Pickford for clattering van Dyke, that but I get your frustration.

I don't know if it is coincidence or policy but going all the way back to the days of Mancini, City's last three managers have been equally stoic about indiscretions and downright acts of thuggery and theft against us.
I can only think of Pep's un-be-leeev-able and his remarks about never getting anything at Anfield (after the game) that went against the grain.
Like you, I wish the club were more proactive in this regard. Only it has to be the manager's job to protect the players, not the lawyers.

Yesterday I took my son's nearly new parka to work as he has out-grown it, and i gave it to a homeless man sat outside Victoria Station. (It may be warm in the daytime but nights are still very chilly.)

The guy was very happy with the coat then he looked up at me and saw the City cap I was wearing.

"I like your hat," he said. "Fuckin' hate Liverpool."

Take that you red-top obsessed media.

It's interesting that some elements of the English media seem determined to maintain their position that Athletico are just a bunch of scallywags and that somehow being good at the "dark arts" is something to boast about. It is all a bit of a lark. There has been very little focus on their racist fans making Hitler salutes in the first leg, booing the players taking a knee, and pelting Pep with bottles, and from some quarters, not much strong criticism of their players for trying to injure our team, spitting at our backroom staff, pulling hair, headbutting etc etc.
Why is it that Athletico fans, players, and their manager have such a problem with Manchester City? Are they driven by hatred and jealousy or is it political or even racial, given that their fans have a reputation in Spain for being anti-muslim? How much of their thuggish behaviour has been inflienced by the posionous way we are covered in the media both here and in Spain?
Some of the pundits seem to think what happened last night was just jolly japes from Simeone and his merry mob. I think the Athletico players behaved like animals and so did their thuggish Manager. Perhaps darker forces are driving the pure hatred of our club from many quarters.
From what I've read and heard today, some of the UK sports media are calling out Atletico for their thuggery (thank you, Martin Samuel and Stuart Brennan for calling them out on their appalling behaviour)

But, as you say, still there's a goodly proportion of our own papers taking the side of the Spanish press (especially 'La Marca') and enabling them to pursue this 'poor, poor picked on Atleti, everyone's against us..' false narrative.

It's all very 'Paul Calf' and Monty Python's 'Piranha Brothers' from Atletico/the Spanish press. As in:

'He nudged me and I spilled my pint.. so I had to hit him, didn't I?' or

'He was a student.. I had to hit him, didn't I..?'

And you can almost hear the media whores apologising on behalf of Simeone and Koke and Savic and the rest of them with 'That Foden (or Grealish or Mahrez.. or just insert player's name here) was just too good for poor little Atleti.. but they did assure us it was a bona fide case, so they had to nail his head to a coffee table didn't they?'

Poor, poor wickle-diddums-Atletico-and-Simeone-and-your-Colchoneros.. just f**k off with your anti-football and dreadful behaviour, on and off the pitch. You're a stain on this great game of ours..

Smacks a bit of the Scousers wanting to sue Pickford for clattering van Dyke, that but I get your frustration.

I don't know if it is coincidence or policy but going all the way back to the days of Mancini, City's last three managers have been equally stoic about indiscretions and downright acts of thuggery and theft against us.
I can only think of Pep's un-be-leeev-able and his remarks about never getting anything at Anfield (after the game) that went against the grain.
Like you, I wish the club were more proactive in this regard. Only it has to be the manager's job to protect the players, not the lawyers.
Once the players step onto the pitch they have no protection. The referee is there to make sure the rules are followed but has no powers of arrest. What we are talking about is common assault. It wouldn’t be allowed to happen anywhere else so why should it be allowed on the football pitch? I get what your saying about the scousers and it may open a can of worms, but I think the club need to protect their assets. since the takeover in 2008 it’s been open season on City players, it’s now about making thugs think twice. Money is everything, if a player thinks he could end up getting sued for millions, his enthusiasm to ”leave something on them” will diminish.

Pickford may have deserved red but his clash with big daft Virgil wasn't malicious on his part and not anything remotely similar to the assaults on City players last night. How we ended up with five yellow cards last night and they only got two is something else the club should question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.