Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pickford may have deserved red but his clash with big daft Virgil wasn't malicious on his part and not anything remotely similar to the assaults on City players last night. How we ended up with five yellow cards last night and they only got two is something else the club should question.
Agreed on Pickford. I was thinking more about the perceved whiney- ness of such extracurricular action on the club's part

Felipe (twice), Llorente, Savic & Simeone = 5 yellow cards, by my count but yeah, you're right. We weren't equally to blame by a very long shot. And that's exactly the sort of thing that Pep should have been saying last night, when he had the attention of the football World on the subject.
That's his job as far as I'm concerned. The club making pompous threats after the horse has bolted wouldn't necessarily be helpful.

Once the players step onto the pitch they have no protection. The referee is there to make sure the rules are followed but has no powers of arrest. What we are talking about is common assault. It wouldn’t be allowed to happen anywhere else so why should it be allowed on the football pitch? I get what your saying about the scousers and it may open a can of worms, but I think the club need to protect their assets. since the takeover in 2008 it’s been open season on City players, it’s now about making thugs think twice. Money is everything, if a player thinks he could end up getting sued for millions, his enthusiasm to ”leave something on them” will diminish.
I think point in question Leroy Sane, with a big money move to the German rags in the works. Pep decided to play him in the Community Shield against the dippers and sure enough dipper arnold managed to substantially reduce the transfer fee we could have expected for Leroy, think before injury €80 - 100m, eventually getting€53m I think. We constantly see Kev and Phil getting wildly over the top tackles, which refs give the other way. Specsavers indeed!!

And Pep doesn't try to influence the refs before the game, and is a better loser. So, while I agree with his basic premise, as usual, I am not sure why he dragged Pep into it.
I think he just meant “don’t complain” (just get on with it) rather than stop complaining.

Just had a look for the first time in years to see how bad it was, even ignoring the bias the reporting on the football side is woeful including the line ‘Gundo headed against the post’ no he didn’t !!!!!! Did you even watch the game before writing this twaddle?
These middle class media types have their story half written before the game,riddled with miss truths and lies to suit an editorial agenda they think 90% of football fans desire. The game is an afterthought that interferes with them eating complimentary canapés and supping free wine.

Why do I feel like Sky Sports News have been gloating all morning over our injuries and expected tiredness, and how simple the BinDippers progress was.
Red machine will be loving our problems. It’s all about the Scousers winning an unprecedented cup thingy. We could be doing with their luck changing over the next few weeks, starting on Sat.

From what I've read and heard today, some of the UK sports media are calling out Atletico for their thuggery (thank you, Martin Samuel and Stuart Brennan for calling them out on their appalling behaviour)

But, as you say, still there's a goodly proportion of our own papers taking the side of the Spanish press (especially 'La Marca') and enabling them to pursue this 'poor, poor picked on Atleti, everyone's against us..' false narrative.

It's all very 'Paul Calf' and Monty Python's 'Piranha Brothers' from Atletico/the Spanish press. As in:

'He nudged me and I spilled my pint.. so I had to hit him, didn't I?' or

'He was a student.. I had to hit him, didn't I..?'

And you can almost hear the media whores apologising on behalf of Simeone and Koke and Savic and the rest of them with 'That Foden (or Grealish or Mahrez.. or just insert player's name here) was just too good for poor little Atleti.. but they did assure us it was a bona fide case, so they had to nail his head to a coffee table didn't they?'

Poor, poor wickle-diddums-Atletico-and-Simeone-and-your-Colchoneros.. just f**k off with your anti-football and dreadful behaviour, on and off the pitch. You're a stain on this great game of ours..
They remind me of Don Revie's Leeds who had a limited amount of success in the early 70s but were despised by most football fans because they were filthy cheats. There are some pundits who have tried to restore their reputation in modent times by making jokes about Norman "bite your legs" Hunter etc. But I saw Hunter play. He was a despicable thug and so was most of their team.

They remind me of Don Revie's Leeds who had a limited amount of success in the early 70s but were despised by most football fans because they were filthy cheats. There are some pundits who have tried to restore their reputation in modent times by making jokes about Norman "bite your legs" Hunter etc. But I saw Hunter play. He was a despicable thug and so was most of their team.

Spot on.

When we lost at home to Leeds 0-1 on the first day of the 71-72 season, I was there with my VIth form mates after playing for the school that morning. One of the lads had his older cousin with him, a Geordie lad who was visiting for the weekend.

When Hunter dropped Franny Lee for about the 3rd time in the game (and having done so to Colin Bell and others throughout), the referee called him over 'for a word', with the crowd going hushed as it seemed, at last, some action might be taken against him. Not a bit of it, more finger wagging and tut-tutting from the referee, letting Hunter trot back into position next to Jack Charlton.

Cue my mate's Geordie cousin, who'd previously been watching the game in silence, to shout in the deepest, loudest Geordie guttural voice/accent you could imagine that rolled down the Kippax.. 'Ah f**king hate you Hunter, man, and ah'm a Geordie meself!'[/QUOTE]

Agreed on Pickford. I was thinking more about the perceved whiney- ness of such extracurricular action on the club's part

Felipe (twice), Llorente, Savic & Simeone = 5 yellow cards, by my count but yeah, you're right. We weren't equally to blame by a very long shot. And that's exactly the sort of thing that Pep should have been saying last night, when he had the attention of the football World on the subject.
That's his job as far as I'm concerned. The club making pompous threats after the horse has bolted wouldn't necessarily be helpful.
I meant players on the pitch rather than their thugs on the sidelines. I think only Rodri was booked in the ninety minutes before added on time, so to me it was farcial the German ref went on a booking spree with our players when it was in a period the game was extended because the Madrid players lost the plot.
Having read Spitty Carraghers article in the Telegraph defending Simeone and claiming he would love to see him in the pl you wonder what planet these pundits are on. One minute they're all for cleaning bad tackles out of the game, next the idiot wants one of the most unpleasant characters in the game in a top job over here. No doubt he would fit in well at Liverpool.
I honestly dont see how the club taking action to protect its employees can be perceived as 'whineyness'. Liverpool may have gone over the top but that doesn't mean every case lacks merit. It's bad enough fighting a losing battle with refs and var, so I don't ever want to see City involved in a match like that again, no matter however much buffoons like Neville and Carragher think it creates rivalry and adds excitment to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.