Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conn's joined the race to the bottom in football journalism. In fact, he's become the Usain Bolt of football journalists in that respect.

He used to be one of the very few who did dig out uncomfortable facts that the mainstream either couldn't be bothered to look for, or knew and wilfully ignored. He did more than any other journalist to highlight the lies and cover-ups over Hillsborough.

Back in 2012, when united were about to float on the NYSE, I came across some information that suggested they'd pulled a fast one, and were using accounts that shouldn't have been used to provide potentially misleading financial information to investors. The accounts they should've used wouldn't have been quite as flattering.

I spoke to him about it and we spent the best part of a day pulling it together. He ran it, and united had to issue a statement saying their next accounts would show a worse position, plus the float price had to be dropped by $2. No one else would have taken on and run that story; only him.

(Here it is: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/jul/10/manchester-united-accounts-share-offer?CMP=gu_com)

Then he got our FFP case hopelessly wrong and I started to suspect he was acting under instructions. That was (for me) proven beyond doubt when he picked up my tweet about the key evidence presented in the New York court, to support the Open Skies case against the three Gulf Airlines. I was miffed that he didn't contact me but at least it finally got aired.

The next day he'd changed his story completely and I can only imagine he'd been told, in no uncertain terms, that the truth, based on actual documentary evidence, didn't fit the media narrative. After all, we know the Guardian, for all their liberal credentials, are closet racists where Muslim Arabs involved in football are concerned.

Had Conn come out in respect of Saturday's events and said that everyone involved - UEFA, the clubs and the fans - needed to have a good look at themselves then I'd have regained some respect for him. But UEFA, who were their allies during the CAS case, are now the enemy. It's so Orwellian.
1894?

Although I wish they'd stopped called them "British fans" and call them " Liverpool fans". Last time we all got banned from Europe it's because we all got lumped in with them
I know what you mean but don't worry nobody's getting banned. Ramifications for UEFA would be too great. What it will do is make the policing of the British teams away in Europe even worse.

The French have got it bang on! Klopp has to take some responsibility

In spite of the problems at this years final, Klopp couldn't help himself, even immediately after the game telling their fans to book hotels for next year's final. Putting aside how arrogant and disrespectful that is to every other team taking part in next season's competition, it's wreckless at best. He played a part in encouraging ticketless fans to travel to the final this and he deserves to be criticised for that.

The analogies with rock and roll go further than just football style when it comes to the scousers. The whole ethos of the club is like a really bad rock and roll band on tour, turn up, cause a load of trouble, trash the place, clear off and don't take any responsibility for what they've done. Then the English media accept it and paint it out as a positive attribute when in fact it's it's a disgrace, they are a disgrace

Even if those damned Frenchies were to blame what was the major disaster that occurred?

Some people with tickets didn't see the match
Some people got minor injuries from the police.
Some people got a whiff of gas which is unpleasant for children and old people. By its nature it swirls with the wind and can be carried on the wind for significant distance.
The French police wre caught out by the extra fans and wereThe match kicked off late.
TV timetables went awry but they would if there had been extra time.
Liverpool were unhappy after getting beaten.

I don't think there was much else but l think the last one has been the driving force in this debacle and all the rest isn't really a big deal.
No big deal this time but it could have been very serious… again. The main reason for that is ticketless fans turning up, egged on by people who should know better. Now they won’t take responsibility for it and expect everyone else to toe the party line.

If it happened to both sides they'd have a leg to stand on but it didn't. Madrid fans didn't travel in the tens of thousands without tickets, they lined up with real tickets and got let in and their end was full well before kick off. I'm sure the police were heavy handed but then the police were also probably worried that if they didn't disperse them quickly a crush could have happened.

It's the lack of self awareness that really rubs me the wrong way with the dippers. They are just incapable of taking a step back and saying yeah maybe it wasn't such a good idea for Barry and his mates to go to Paris with tickets printed on toilet paper they bought for a tenner off dodgy Trevor down the pub.

No it always has to be some big huge conspiracy against them and their angelic fans who wouldn't harm a fly.
I saw a quote that sums them up perfectly: Offended by everything, admit to nothing. Says it all for me

Bbc have an article on players worried about plying back to back games ...

You guessed which team they uses for the headline picture...

Also am I missing something big ....

Why is this a special season for them so far ?? .....

What's the odds of crowd trouble Saturday
Hmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.