Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
It fails to recognise, despite the many failings of our own democracy, that sometimes autocracy, properly managed, has its benefits, particularly when it comes to avoiding major political instability.

It's for all these reasons that it ideologically hates our owner and his country. In being impeccably liberal, it's implicitly (and often explicitly) illiberal.

I myself am more 'woke' than 'conservative', but you make excellent points. Social and cultural reality is extremely complex, and the most liberal boxes in which we order it for us are still boxes that can't do full justice to its complexity. The attempts to import liberal democracy in some non-Western countries have been costly failures.

This sport washing stuff could make some sense if City were unsuccessful as a business project. But it's the opposite: it's a great investment project that is likely to be hugely successful in purely business terms.

Last edited:
I am clearly in the minority here but I like Ronay’s writing. And to put a bit of balance back for those who haven’t read the article he ends by saying “this looks like the most irresistible club team English football has ever witnessed”.
If our fans are getting their knickers in a twist over someone who says that about us then maybe a bit of perspective would help.

Irresistible?

Don't get carried away, it has more than one meaning....

too powerful or convincing to be resisted.

They used to call the Wehrmacht irresistible.

Ronay doesn't mean it as a compliment.

It fucking kills them to ever mention Utd's spending, I can honestly never think of a time anybody has pulled them up over it. All of their shit buys like Di Maria, Depay etc sweet fa of a mention, allowed to slope off in a blink of an eye. Just a case of oh well it didn't quite work out, nothing lost there

Yeah, but their growth is "organic".

Simon Jordan says so.

Neither was KDB at the time.Although a great player our Pep turned him into the best midfield player in the world.After all it was those lovely old so called "pundits" Merson,Big Nose Thompson and the useless Scottish pundit who claimed we had gone mad spending that amount on him.
I will not put Matt Le T into the equation as he regularly spoke sense and certainly was NOT anti City
KDB the £50m flop wasn't he?

There haven't been too many of ours not described as a waste of money when they signed.

Another one below, not quite as in your face this time but none the less almost ostracising city from being a component of the Premier League. It's like 'lets just forget about THAT team at the top and have our own party', whereas if it was a team in red they'd be embracing and celebrating their lead.

Yeah, football can still be fun despite us.

Have you noticed how "Covid is our friend" has emerged as another attack line, it's popping up in all the mainstream and social media sewers.

I dunno. Just seems to me that many folks have pretty thin skins and see conspiracies lurking everywhere. I’m not sure Ronay wants the “ruination” of our club or exactly who and why he is making this “conspiracy” with.
Also, life’s too short. Enjoy the fantastic spell we are having, take compliments in good faith and take any criticism with a hefty dose of salt.

Yeah,life is too short to be overly worrying about conspiracies against the club.

Having said that,there are certain journalists who are spiteful with regards to City.
Constant tiresome,vacuous untruths re "unlimited funds" "State owned" do understandably wind up blues.

These journos don't like being called out on their nonsense on twitter for instance,and I've witnessed spiteful replies to polite blues rebutting some of their claims.

Sometimes people take a stand and object to some of the bullshit,supposedly educated,influential people spout,and good on them.
If we all did this in general life,not just football,we may not have ended up with the bellends we've got running the country.

The Guardian's position on City and our owner is a product of their 'ideology'. They are the voice of what we now call "the woke"; those who believe themselves to be tolerant of all faiths, sexualities, creeds and colours. The climate warriors and those seeking to remove traces of our colonial past. (I'm not criticising or mocking those people by the way.)

But here's where their problem is. In being impeccably tolerant, they have become intolerant of those who don't share those views. They celebrate diversity but simultaneously have a great aversion to elements of that diversity that conflict with their liberal, western, christian views. They will celebrate Islamic culture, for example, but reject elements of that culture that they celebrate that they don't like. LGBT rights is one good example. It's a part of a conservative religion but that doesn't count in the Guardian's eyes. Islam should be what the Guardian thinks it should be, not what it is.

You'll see many Guardian readers champion Hamas over Israel, yet Hamas is a determinedly illiberal organisation that rejects virtually everything the Guardian holds dear whereas Israel, for all its many faults, is the sort of liberal, inclusive (unless you're a Palestinian of course) democracy it champions.

It fails to recognise, despite the many failings of our own democracy, that sometimes autocracy, properly managed, has its benefits, particularly when it comes to avoiding major political instability.

It's for all these reasons that it ideologically hates our owner and his country. In being impeccably liberal, it's implicitly (and often explicitly) illiberal.
The Guardian’s ideology and other “received wokefulness”, if you can call it that (as it’s doesn’t really stand up any examination of cohesive reasoning) will be the first to object to outside initiatives to overthrow, or significantly reform, autocratic regimes.

They are seemingly happy that years of “tradition” and culture never be questioned. All countries, by implication, should be permitted to continue with abhorrent mechanisms for marrying off daughters at 13, permitting female circumcision, forbidding the education of girls beyond primary age etc.

Seeking to put an end to such medieval practices is merely western arrogance, apparently. A hangover from our imperial past.
How dare we tell others how to rule themselves or try and instil basic human rights for everyone in the world. Every country has a right to rule as it sees fit (according to some) and we should butt the hell out.

Instead of concentrating on trying to bring an internationalist reform of women’s and girls’ rights that could improve the life chances of millions, too many wokeful types divert their lazer-like focus and energies into the truly pressing matters of our age instead, like the correct delineation of toilet and changing room facilities in their home countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.