Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we engage with our critics we validate their proposition and if we validate their proposition we will be forced to defend ours, but we don't want to defend ours because that would require engaging with our critics and engaging with our critics would validate their proposition.
And not engaging with our critics is the net result of what we have today. Our image and brand is totally trashed. If that is acceptable to you, others and the club then great. However, it's not acceptable for me and it's not acceptable for a few others also I would hazard a guess.

As fans, we want to stand up to those critics and we want the club to do so too. We condemn the apparent lack of action, evidencing the continued slurs. There is more than one way though, and we remain the decade's fastest growing sports business and its most successful on the sports front.

And not engaging with our critics is the net result of what we have today. Our image and brand is totally trashed. If that is acceptable to you, others and the club then great. However, it's not acceptable for me and it's not acceptable for a few others also I would hazard a guess.

Yet here we are.

This is politics.

We have the Guardianistas on one side and the mainstream media, old money clubs, Yanks, rival fans and the man on the Clapham omnibus on the other, plus we operate within football structures run by and for those very same old money clubs, it's a no win situation if we engage, so we don't engage.

I'm not happy about it either, but I accept the reality of our situation, you clearly don't.

I'm assuming you're looking for the club to start banning certain journalists and news outlets, or perhaps issuing rebuttals which must be acknowledged under threat of legal action.

That might make you feel better, but what do you think it would achieve?

The smple truth of the matter is if City's owners were truly in it to "sportswash", we'd be seeing a plethora of pro-City articles every week.
You wouldn't even have to bung the journalists. All it would take is a series of full page ads to be taken out by all of these supposed "related parties". Then they threatened to pull them because they don't like the paper's "ethos".
That's clearly not the case.
This to be is as near as be-damned demonstrable poof that (a) City's owners are not in it to sportswash and (b) City's owners are oblivious to the media's position.
Personally, I used to bite when the usual wankers in the media trolled. Now, am of the opinion that City's owners have far more reach, weight time and resources at their disposal than I do. If they're not bothering their bollocks, why should I?

Agreed. No one is suggesting we should start engaging with some of the loons on Twitter. That would be crazy. But it is standard business practice to protect your reputation and your brand. You would do that if you ran a corner shop never mind a global company. At its most basic it means we should always put a statement out correcting false information about us in the media. If Gary Neville says on SKY that we are "owned by a state" we should promptly rebut it on our own channels. We don't need to get into a big debate.
Full-blown legal action is only a nuclear option but there are lots of things we should be doing behind the scenes (and perhaps we are doing some of this) I also think Khaldoon(who is a class act at communications) should do more interviews, especially with the business media, explaining our long-term strategy. A lot of people are totally ignorant about what CFG is doing across the globe. We are just too passive.

What's going to be really interesting in the next few years will be the media strategy up at Newcastle. The same sort of things are going to be levelled at them once they inevitably start winning things (if they haven't already). Will they defend themselves any better than we have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.