Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sevilla has already qualified for Europa, haven't they?

Given their league position, I imagine they'll be resting players as well.

News feed this morning flagged up the annual Collins' Dictionary 'New Word(s) of the Year' (and btw, how's everyone dealing with the economic 'Permacrisis'? getting by at least, I hope..)

Included among the list of new words was our old chum 'Sportswashing'. Collins now defines this as:

'Sportswashing: The sponsorship or promotion of sporting events in order to enhance a tarnished reputation or to distract attention from a controversial activity.'

So, I was wondering, given this definition, what the media moralisers of recent years and the supporters of other teams threatened by us will make of that?

I mean, since long before Sheikh Mansour was even born, such as the motor racing and horse racing industries have been taking the Middle Eastern riyals by the sackload to promote their events; while if Mansour's intention when buying City was solely to deflect our gaze away from the problems in the Middle Eastern nations in general and his own home state in particular, then he's hardly made a good job of it, in fact I'd say he's made a right 'Town Halls' of it given the press coverage over the years..

Mind, I don't think the poor loves in the media will give it much consideration given the amount of work they've got on creating articles on why everyone's being beastly mean to Liverpool and hailing Marcus Rashford's return as England's World Cup saviour..

'Permacrisis' word of the year? 'Permab*ll*cks' more like..
So what term is used when you purposely promote and highlight a certain incident that happened decades ago to cover the shame of another incident 4 years earlier?
Scousewashing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.