Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be a interesting test if they play the rags in the carabou final, normally a team that hasn't won a trophy in 60 odd years would get the underdog sympathy vote,not sure that'll happen this time, certainly not with the media.
It won't! There'll be the usual platitudes that get rolled out whenever an underdog gets to the final, but if it's a redshirt club they are almost full on for even the most right wing or left wingers, politically speaking, to mention the word 'bias'!

The tipping point for me is they way the world is currently, as we know business everywhere is affected by the current financial situation

With this in mind new impotuous is required and for the EPL they will look to their biggest assets for that Utd and Liverpool, now more than ever they need the glory clubs back to push their brand on
Sorry mate, but that’s a hugely speculative and nebulous response that could be applied to justify any theory involving a business. Why do you think that applies to the PL in particular, at this point in time?

And business everywhere isn’t affected by the current situation, at least not in the sense you are suggesting. Lots of businesses are doing well at the moment, many are struggling too. Don’t think Sky or the PL fall into thr latter category, at least atm.

And I thought the discussion was about Sky’s business model, nor the PL. Their interests might conflate, but won’t be identical.

Last edited:
So the best way of stopping Newcastle is attacking City?

Why are Newcastle getting a relatively easy ride in the press if what you say is the case?
Will change if they win the PL at some point, IMO. The attitude to City changed , from recollection, at each stage of our recent success - winning the FA cup, winning the league over united, winning the league of Liverpool. By that point ‘sportswashing’,’cheating’ and ‘dirty Arab oil money’ was starting to become a deluge.
I think Newcastle haven’t got to that point yet and ‘dirty Arab gas money’ doesn’t have the same ring!

We're gonna have to wait until NUFC actually win summat. We weren't subjected to all the shite that's come our way until we won a trophy and denied their chosen teams another piece of silverware. Let's wait until one of the historical TopFour, Five or Six, depending how low down the redshirts go, end up in the Europa League and not the CL and NUFC do - then they will be getting the same shite we've had for the best part of a decade. They started off laughing at us when Robinho signed, and then three years later we were Champions. It pissed 'em off no end, and so the state-owned, sportswashing, FFP dodging club never received anything like the accolades for playing the kind of football the PL had never seen before. Wait till NUFC get among the silverware!
Not disagreeing with anything you said there DE, but the discussion is around Sky’s business model needing the red shirt clubs to be at the top to succeed, when it demonstrably does not.

I’ll hazard the last ten years have been their most profitable and successful, which has coincided with our hegemony.

Tellingly, no-one appears to be challenging this particular assertion.

You're getting no sympathy or agreement from me if you're going to be quoting The Star 'newspaper'. You might as well quote The Beano.
That headline from the Star was a third party one on another website quoting the ridiculous "city fans slag off Otamendi" I didn't actually read the original Star article. It was in response to Bluetonions original point that "journalists" invent their own stories for the sake of clickbating.

I don't and never will pay to read the gutter press (and that includes the anti City brigade)!but sometimes you need to know what the enemy are thinking.

Sorry mate, but that’s a hugely speculative and nebulous response that could be applied to justify any theory involving a business. Why do you think that applies to the PL in particular, at this point in time?

And business everywhere isn’t affected by the current situation, at least not in the sense you are suggesting. Lots of businesses are doing well at the moment, many are struggling too. Don’t think Sky or the PL fall into thr latter category, at least atm.

And I thought the discussion was about Sky’s business model, nor the PL. Their interests might conflate, but won’t be identical.
It's just my opinion. And I agree it's speculation but I'm basing it on various statements from the EPL and reading between the lines, I am also not stating Sky and EPL are struggling, far from it, but if they stand still as a business they are going backwards, things need to be changed up, new impetuous is required to keep the cash rolling in and the EPL brand fresh, this can't be done if left to chance

also the two for me do go hand in hand, look at the agenda driven by the media Sky/BT especially when it comes to the glory clubs and City worlds apart from pundetry to offside goals even with VAR all singing from the same hymn sheet, ref watch on a Monday morning constant 24/7 SSN etc all ties things up nicely and it's accepted as the norm

Will change if they win the PL at some point, IMO. The attitude to City changed , from recollection, at each stage of our recent success - winning the FA cup, winning the league over united, winning the league of Liverpool. By that point ‘sportswashing’,’cheating’ and ‘dirty Arab oil money’ was starting to become a deluge.
I think Newcastle haven’t got to that point yet and ‘dirty Arab gas money’ doesn’t have the same ring!
clear n obvious who was behind it all
parry n gill

I can't wait until the transfer window closes, that's when all those net spend comparisons for the season get printed and talked about. Then again, maybe platforms like Talk Sport will dodge the subject completely, now that they can't point to Pep's first two seasons and complain "5 years is misleading" all of a sudden. It never was misleading, 10 years or 5 years is how CLUBS are normally compared, they just move the goalposts for Pep/City to keep their agendas going.

Here's a quick attempt from me. Though I'm still not fully certain how transfermarkt does the youth teams though(Is U21 truly separate from U18? Why do some some U21 and U18 profiles not appear in the results table?).

Last 7 seasons(Pep era) so far:

United U21 net spend: + €13.76m(added up manually in the summer because it doesn't show in the results)
United U18: €-17.64m
United Senior team net spend: €-899.09m
United Total Net Spend: €-902.97m = £-793.19m (€-3.88m for U21+U18 net spend)

Arsenal U21 net spend: + €14.21m
Arsenal U18 net spend: + €1.70m
Arsenal Senior team net spend: €-631.81m
Arsenal Total Net Spend: €-647.71m = £-568.97m (+€15.91m for U21+U18 net spend)

Chelsea U21 net spend: + €49.01m
Chelsea U18 net spend: €-3.02m
Chelsea Senior team net spend: €-690.49mm
Chelsea Total Net Spend: €-644.5m = £-566.15m (+€45.99m for U21+U18 net spend)

City U21 net spend: + €56.47m
City U18 net spend: + €12.74m
City Senior team net spend: €-661.66m
City Total Net Spend: €-592.45m = £-520.42m (+€69.21m for U21+U18 net spend)

There could be more signings for Chelsea and Arsenal before the window closes. The rest of the big 6 seem to be waiting for next season's summer transfer window. "How can they compete?".
The problem is that transfermarkt uses the average of media published figures for transfers, which often have no bearing on reality. The error margin is so large as to make the figures meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.