Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBC Football reporting at it's best.

Explains it all.

The Reds face RB Salzburg in their next pre-season game on Wednesday before playing Manchester City in the Community Shield at Wembley on Saturday, 30 July.

Oh!

Nunez scored 4 goals in the 2nd half, so you can imagine the match report and the giddy Scouser comments.

Now I have read the whole report. It is comprehensive but very biased because it does not include any of the benefits brought into Manchester because of the regeneration which has happened. Its entire focus is on the income from housing and the so-called human rights record of Abu Dhabi (which as others have pointed out is much better than most other Middle East countries and places like China and the USA.)
I am certain that the whole focus of the council's involment in this deal from day one was not to provide housing income but to help regenerate the City of Manchester. That regeneration has been a staggering success which has been lauded across the world.
The only section of this report which would alarm me is the way most of the finances are apparently handled offshore which means that only a tiny amount of corporation tax is being paid by the Manchester Life Venture. No mention is made of council tax and business rate income though and this would presumably benefit the City Council directly.
It is a hatchet job. Without the investment from Sheikh Mansour Ancoats and surrounding area would still be a waste land and Beswick would still be dominated by disused industry and chemical pollution. I notice that the research has been funded by two quangos which are heavily funded by public money. Are the researchers arguing that the huge investment in East Manchester should have been paid for purely by the taxpayers and ratepayers?
I think the labels you are looking for at the end are Western and Caucasian.

Assuming that all of this land was available at such an 'undervalued' price, makes you wonder why no-one else decided to invest in it really................

I did a bit of digging and the hit-piece report was funded by the Economic and Social Research Council. So that means the report was paid for by taxpayer money to the tune of £458K. Nice one - we could have paid for nine coppers or nurses for a year the price of this one report.

‘orrible lot, those London-based snide journalists. Our council has done a lot wrong but the partnerships they have fostered to help develop and improve our city are to be admired and defended, not subject to Tax-payer funded hit-pieces.
Can't wait for the public funded report and in depth articles on Rat-Boys investments into the City.

What do you mean I shouldn't be holding my breath.................!?!

Had a quick read through it. It's all the University of Sheffield, FFS. Both these "independent researchers" CRAFiC and Urban Institute are UoS organisations. Isn't that where one of these new sports finance experts sits, pontificating on City?

Anyway, the report isn't that bad, apart from over-emphasising the human rights aspects and potential political fallout from a relationship with AD. "May affect the city's ability to attract talent". In what universe?

Typical intellectual stuff written by people who don't have the responsibility to regenerate a City quickly in a frighteningly difficult economic environment. I suspect they all wear sandals.

Can't really argue with the conclusions, though, as far as they go, but posters on here have already raised some issues that don't seem to have been properly taken into account in the report, imo.
The bit in bold deserves special praise - lovely bit of writing...........

Had a quick read through it. It's all the University of Sheffield, FFS. Both these "independent researchers" CRAFiC and Urban Institute are UoS organisations. Isn't that where one of these new sports finance experts sits, pontificating on City?

Anyway, the report isn't that bad, apart from over-emphasising the human rights aspects and potential political fallout from a relationship with AD. "May affect the city's ability to attract talent". In what universe?

Typical intellectual stuff written by people who don't have the responsibility to regenerate a City quickly in a frighteningly difficult economic environment. I suspect they all wear sandals.

Can't really argue with the conclusions, though, as far as they go, but posters on here have already raised some issues that don't seem to have been properly taken into account in the report, imo.

I was an export rep for the Middle East for many years, equipped neonatal units in hospitals all over the region. I've been to the UAE over thirty times and Abu Dhabi around twenty times as that's where the decisions are made. The company I worked for manufactured incubators, ventilators and whatnot out of Philadelphia.

Philadelphia is a human catastrophe, Abu Dhabi is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.