Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have decided to make a freedom of information request to find out how much Simon Stones jolly with the Rags has cost….
Don't waste your time
I made one for Dan Roan's interview with Maguire and I received....

Thank you for your request to the BBC of 28th August 2020 seeking the following information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (‘the Act’):

With regard to an interview with Harry Maguire, conducted by Dan Roan which was broadcast on the BBC One 10 o'clock news on Thursday 27th August 2020
I request two pieces of information
1/ In which country was the interview conducted?
2/ Who paid for Dan Roan's travel, accommodation and sustenance?
I look forward to you furnishing me with the information requested

The information you have requested is excluded from the Act because if held it would be held for the purposes of ‘journalism, art or literature.’ The BBC is therefore not obliged to provide this information to you and will not be doing so on this occasion. Part VI of Schedule 1 to FOIA provides that information held by the BBC and the other public service broadcasters is only covered by the Act if it is held for ‘purposes other than those of journalism, art or literature”. The BBC is not required to supply information held for the purposes of creating the BBC’s output or information that supports and is closely associated with these creative activities1

The limited application of the Act to public service broadcasters was to protect freedom of
expression and the rights of the media under Article 10 European Convention on Human Rights
(“ECHR”). The BBC, as a media organisation, is under a duty to impart information and ideas on
all matters of public interest and the importance of this function has been recognised by the
European Court of Human Rights. Maintaining our editorial independence is a crucial factor in
enabling the media to fulfil this function. However, the BBC makes a huge range of information
available about our programmes and content on bbc.co.uk.

Reactions: nmc
If people think that there is not a deliberate policy to ignore City by the British media at the moment, they are sadly mistaken.

Let's examine some facts. Haaland is undoubtedly one of the biggest signings in Premier League history. He is one of the highest profile players in the world and potentially developing into the best player in the world over the coming years. We are not talking about a world star past his best or a very young player with loads of potential e.g. Ronaldo signing with United on both occasions or Vinicius Jnr for Real Madrid.

Haaland's signing and the prospect of future success at City also poses an enormous threat to the brands of Manchester United and Liverpool. It therefore seems logical that they would call on their friends in the media to limit the potential damage.

An iconic world star at City is a potential game changer in club finances as well as on the pitch. If current story's are to be believed, United would allow Ronaldo to leave on a year's loan to Athletico, only if he signs on for a further year with them. From a footballing perspective this makes little sense, however it illustrates the financial and commercial benefits that accrue from retaining an iconic star.

I believe our owners view the British media as an inevitable and but relatively insignificant obstacle. They are working towards creating a worldwide fan base for the club and there is an advantage to being seen as a young vibrant side who are not part of the old favoured guard of powerful clubs.

Young football fans even in the UK want something different and will in my opinion be increasingly attracted to City. They do not get their updates from the BBC or the Mail. They ignore Facebook as old school and look more to online content provided by club channels to learn about their club. In this regard City are well ahead of the rivals and its development is part of our clubs strategy overtake our rivals.

Various British media organisations have provided the minimum possible coverage of the Haaland debut. Undoubtedly this will have the blessing of our local neighbours as they fight to be relevant on any level. From a wider perspective however, they can not halt our increasing popularity to a worldwide audience. The number of youtube views of our match highlights compares favourably to our media backed rivals. Haalands post match interviews were conducted by media outlets from various parts of the world in multiple languages. The increasing blue shirts and chants from the stands also illustrated our growing popularity.

Personally I have decided to stop using BBC football online for any information, for the coming season. They do not deserve one click.

Don't waste your time
I made one for Dan Roan's interview with Maguire and I received....

Thank you for your request to the BBC of 28th August 2020 seeking the following information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (‘the Act’):

With regard to an interview with Harry Maguire, conducted by Dan Roan which was broadcast on the BBC One 10 o'clock news on Thursday 27th August 2020
I request two pieces of information
1/ In which country was the interview conducted?
2/ Who paid for Dan Roan's travel, accommodation and sustenance?
I look forward to you furnishing me with the information requested

The information you have requested is excluded from the Act because if held it would be held for the purposes of ‘journalism, art or literature.’ The BBC is therefore not obliged to provide this information to you and will not be doing so on this occasion. Part VI of Schedule 1 to FOIA provides that information held by the BBC and the other public service broadcasters is only covered by the Act if it is held for ‘purposes other than those of journalism, art or literature”. The BBC is not required to supply information held for the purposes of creating the BBC’s output or information that supports and is closely associated with these creative activities1

The limited application of the Act to public service broadcasters was to protect freedom of
expression and the rights of the media under Article 10 European Convention on Human Rights
(“ECHR”). The BBC, as a media organisation, is under a duty to impart information and ideas on
all matters of public interest and the importance of this function has been recognised by the
European Court of Human Rights. Maintaining our editorial independence is a crucial factor in
enabling the media to fulfil this function. However, the BBC makes a huge range of information
available about our programmes and content on bbc.co.uk.
Not answerable to the public who fund them. What's to hide? Bloody Shiesters.

If people think that there is not a deliberate policy to ignore City by the British media at the moment, they are sadly mistaken.

Let's examine some facts. Haaland is undoubtedly one of the biggest signings in Premier League history. He is one of the highest profile players in the world and potentially developing into the best player in the world over the coming years. We are not talking about a world star past his best or a very young player with loads of potential e.g. Ronaldo signing with United on both occasions or Vinicius Jnr for Real Madrid.

Haaland's signing and the prospect of future success at City also poses an enormous threat to the brands of Manchester United and Liverpool. It therefore seems logical that they would call on their friends in the media to limit the potential damage.

An iconic world star at City is a potential game changer in club finances as well as on the pitch. If current story's are to be believed, United would allow Ronaldo to leave on a year's loan to Athletico, only if he signs on for a further year with them. From a footballing perspective this makes little sense, however it illustrates the financial and commercial benefits that accrue from retaining an iconic star.

I believe our owners view the British media as an inevitable and but relatively insignificant obstacle. They are working towards creating a worldwide fan base for the club and there is an advantage to being seen as a young vibrant side who are not part of the old favoured guard of powerful clubs.

Young football fans even in the UK want something different and will in my opinion be increasingly attracted to City. They do not get their updates from the BBC or the Mail. They ignore Facebook as old school and look more to online content provided by club channels to learn about their club. In this regard City are well ahead of the rivals and its development is part of our clubs strategy overtake our rivals.

Various British media organisations have provided the minimum possible coverage of the Haaland debut. Undoubtedly this will have the blessing of our local neighbours as they fight to be relevant on any level. From a wider perspective however, they can not halt our increasing popularity to a worldwide audience. The number of youtube views of our match highlights compares favourably to our media backed rivals. Haalands post match interviews were conducted by media outlets from various parts of the world in multiple languages. The increasing blue shirts and chants from the stands also illustrated our growing popularity.

Personally I have decided to stop using BBC football online for any information, for the coming season. They do not deserve one click.

All correct, but I wish people would realise it is due to the people who own the club rather than Mcfc as an entity.
It is twofold Liverpool and United are seen as part of the institution the owners of City are everything the institution despise.

Hardly anyone used to live in Ancoats. It was mostly Brownfield post-industrial sites as was the New Islington area. Gentrification has not really made many inroads into Beswick itself but that may come later. The area has been dramatically improved though with new schools, new community space, a community hub etc etc. The lack of affordable housing is a problem all over Manchester, especially in places like Chorlton. The city has been a victim of its own success to some extent.
Ancoats was where lots of people lived when no-one lived in the 'city centre'. Terraced streets north of the 'northern quarter' before it was the 'northern quarter', Cardroom estate before being cleared for New Islington (and residents promised social housing in New Islington), and the former slum of Victoria Square.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.