Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
And when they complain about the next song and the song after that ? Where do we stop ?
I've already posted how the Allez song was stopped, booing Milner, lets stop that, condemning them for wearing Suarez racist t shirts is clearly inflammatory, let's stop that.
we cannot keep giving in just because they decide to be offended.
You're wasting your time. The flight or flight brigade are in.

And what about when they complain about the next song? Which they will. And then the one after that?

I think maybe our only option would be to sing "your fans are perfect"...

Mind you, I guess that having nothing to complain about would confuse the shit out of them at least.

And when they complain about the next song and the song after that ? Where do we stop ?
I've already posted how the Allez song was stopped, booing Milner, lets stop that, condemning them for wearing Suarez racist t shirts is clearly inflammatory, let's stop that.
we cannot keep giving in just because they decide to be offended.
100% agree. Being offended, doesn’t automatically make someone right

Agree 100 per cent. It is just deflecting from our brilliant team and giving ammunition to our enemies. We should also ditch the "murderers" song. Heysel happened in 1986. We didn't sing anything about it till about five years ago so I don't think we should use it as a weapon almost 40 years after the event.
spot on

Agree 100 per cent. It is just deflecting from our brilliant team and giving ammunition to our enemies. We should also ditch the "murderers" song. Heysel happened in 1986. We didn't sing anything about it till about five years ago so I don't think we should use it as a weapon almost 40 years after the event.

They have literally weaponised every song about every misdemeanour they’ve committed it’s like we all need an anthem that every team sings with no mention of anything that can be twisted. This is the fan base that somehow miraculously linked allez to Sean Cox so it will be hard going.

How offensive could “your so vain, you probably think this song is about you”.

This
The fact that almost the whole home ends sang it surely shows that it's not about Hillsborough
Exactly...the words "never" and "Always" show this song is about a whole series of events and a state of entitlement they have that they never have to apologise for anything, ever and unrelated to Hillsborough.

I think maybe our only option would be to sing "your fans are perfect"...

Mind you, I guess that having nothing to complain about would confuse the shit out of them at least.
Lol, it’s like if you ever get arrested and cautioned by the Plod, just say:

“Cor blimey Guvnor, it’s a fair cop, you caught me red handed, hopefully I get what I deserve”

Quite right. Yet again though I would urge City Matters, Supporters Club to make strong complaints but I won’t hold my breath
We've made the point when I was on City Matters that these statements aren't helpful. Issuing a statement during the FA Cup semi-final could have had serious implications for the safety of our fans, while the two sets of fans were together.

I'm still in touch with CM and I can tell you they've already made their feelings clear to the club. When even Kevin Parker is severely pissed off, you know that they've got it badly wrong.

No punishment for the opposing players entering our technical area either?

Photograph carefully cropped so that it it doesn't show Tsimicas DELIBERATELY entering the City technical area, which is a YELLOW CARD OFFENCE

From Law 12:

"CAUTION

Caution offences include (but are not limited to):

• deliberately entering the technical area of the opposing team (non-confrontational)"
Doesn't suit the narrative though eh?
you know the rules, it's never their fault

Mr Samuel writes:

Pat, pat, pat. Pat, pat, pat. Pat, pat, pat, pat, pat, pat, pat. Pep Guardiola took his delight out, repeatedly, on the back of Jack Grealish. To be fair, it could have been any of them. There was not a Manchester City player undeserving of a Guardiola happy slap, but the two English starters were a particular revelation.

Grealish caught the eye with arguably the peak performance of his City career, but what about John Stones? When the teamsheet was read out, Guardiola had named four centre halves and there was some conjecture about where Stones would play.

Once the match began, it was clear. Stones would reprise his detail as defensive midfield pivot first seen against RB Leipzig this season. Yet Leipzig are no match for City, beaten 7-0 and battling to claim a Champions League place next season. This was

Liverpool. City had won once in their previous five league meetings. Jürgen Klopp is the only manager to have a positive winning record against Guardiola. Yet there he was, central defender Stones in City's midfield.

And it worked. Oh boy, did it work.

That is what Guardiola does. He takes players, often the English ones, and reimagines them for us. He takes Kyle Walker and shows how he can be a right back, a right wingback, an inverted wingback joining midfield, a centre half. He shows Gareth Southgate things he couldn't imagine. And he may be doing that with Stones too.

Stones is on his third England manager and, in 66 appearances, has played on the back line for all of them. Everyone knows he is good on the ball, everyone knows he can pass. Yet Stones, like Rio Ferdinand or any number of English centre halves with a gift for distribution, is pigeon-holed in central defence.

It takes a coach of Guardiola's imagination to think he can be both defensive shield and a playmaker. Stones is not Ilkay Gundogan, maybe not even Rodri, but these are early days. He certainly did not look out of place yesterday against a Klopp team who pride themselves on energy. By the end of the game he was so comfortable in his role he made regular contributions to what Sir Alex Ferguson once called "the passing carousel" as the home fans chorused "Ole!".

City were toying with Liverpool by that stage, no more so than Stones, who looked as if he would stroll into the red-shirted midfield and be its star turn. Grealish was an obvious man of the match and is irresistible on this form, but Stones was the day's discovery. Guardiola famously said his perfect team was 11 midfield players and, with Erling Haaland absent yesterday, he was close to getting there.

His forwards have midfield tendencies Grealish's first-half run to cover Mo Salah in a threatening position was quite exceptional his defenders and goalkeeper can all play and, in Stones, he has arguably the most versatile centre half in the country.

His statistics were outstanding: 80 touches with a passing accuracy of 96 per cent; 63 passes completed, including 12 of 14 in the final third; 100 per cent of long passes completed (3/3), 100 per cent of tackles completed (2/2) and two ground duels won. At times it was like watching Sergio Busquets. And while critics may cite

Stones's display as further evidence that Liverpool are inadequate in midfield, that underplays his talent. Stones looking so suited to his role doesn't show how far Liverpool have fallen; it shows how good he is, and the degree to which he has matured.

Everyone remembers when Stones had a mistake built-in every game, everyone recalls when his desire to play sometimes led to over-elaboration in the wrong areas. Guardiola called him the bravest player at the club, but even he had to acknowledge the flaws. Injuries have played a part, obviously, but Stone has passed 20 Premier League starts in only two of seven seasons at City.

Yet he's 28 now, and maturing with age. It was 2019 when his memorable clearance off the line against Liverpool helped to deliver the prize in a very tight title race, but there was no similar drama yesterday. Stones was in control, as were City, despite going behind to a Salah goal in the first half. They need to be at their best, too, given the way Arsenal have set about this season's home straight from a frontrunners position.

City may have been missing Haaland, but Mikel Arteta chose to do without Bukayo Saka and still swept Leeds United aside. All eyes will now be on Arsenal's meeting with Liverpool, scheduled for Easter Sunday. That it takes place at Anfield, where Klopp's team are much stronger, adds considerably to the intrigue.

What can be said about Liverpool after this? Little that hasn't been highlighted already. Midfield rebuild required, asap. City passed around them, beyond them, through them. Trent Alexander-Arnold had a torrid time trying to contain Grealish and Riyad Mahrez, although on occasions he seemed alone in following instructions for a high press. It is not meant as a chip at Klopp to wonder what role Alexander-Arnold might be playing in a Guardiola team.

Guardiola gave Rico Lewis five games at right back this season before thinking he had a defensive midfielder on his hands, and trying it against Wolves. That's what he does.

He has visions, and often about young English players. He sees things others can't.

Martin Samuel is one of the only journalists in the entire country who writes excellent and unbiased articles. He also constantly hits the nail on the head with his analysis of teams and players. I wish we had more journalists like him, it would make pre and post analysis football more interesting. Instead, we have to listen to bias crap from the 99% Liverpool/Utd fanboy media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.