Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read this article and found it relatively interesting but I’d probably say that this history of Britain and our development would probably mean you need to at all City’s for this. Liverpool for example, built on slavery. Many mayors of liverpool during the 18th and 19th century were either traders or descendants of traders. I’m no Liverpool historian but is the liver bird on the badge taken from the liver building? At the docks, the docks that developed as a result of the slave trade, I wonder how far back into the Royal Liver Assurance Company you’d have to go before you found slave links. I don’t want to turn this into whataboutery and turn it into a Liverpool thing (don’t want them thinking they live rent free in our heads) it’s just a prominent example. You could say the same about Bristol?

It seems a bit odd to start looking at badges though, Arsenal’s cannon, Royal armouries at Woolwich, they had a role in subjugating people all over the world and it’s a weapon of war. Where do you draw the line?

I think the Hattenstone article is basically a big pile of whataboutery.
a hodgepodge of factoids and assumptions. One thing that jumped out at me was a campaigner calling for the ship to be removed because these ships led to the depopulation of Africa. Well, yes ships were used and I would guess the conditions were awful, but it kind of forgets one thing. The slaves were sold by African chiefs to whites, Africa didn’t have a penal system as such, these slaves were generally men and women captured during tribal wars and then enslaved. The chiefs then sold them. I am not saying the slave trade wasn’t horrendous, it was, what I am saying is printing emotive questionable throw away statements doesn’t add to the conversation.

I read this article and found it relatively interesting but I’d probably say that this history of Britain and our development would probably mean you need to at all City’s for this. Liverpool for example, built on slavery. Many mayors of liverpool during the 18th and 19th century were either traders or descendants of traders. I’m no Liverpool historian but is the liver bird on the badge taken from the liver building? At the docks, the docks that developed as a result of the slave trade, I wonder how far back into the Royal Liver Assurance Company you’d have to go before you found slave links. I don’t want to turn this into whataboutery and turn it into a Liverpool thing (don’t want them thinking they live rent free in our heads) it’s just a prominent example. You could say the same about Bristol?

It seems a bit odd to start looking at badges though, Arsenal’s cannon, Royal armouries at Woolwich, they had a role in subjugating people all over the world and it’s a weapon of war. Where do you draw the line?
Yeah it‘s all a bit convenient.

We need to get the Eagle back, ASAP.

What about the strangled chicken?

page_1_thumb_large.jpg

Minus Heysel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.