Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ronay is another one of the posh boy Guardianistas who latched onto football because it represents a meal ticket for him, not because he has any love of the game or understands its roots. On his Twitter feed he is trying (and failing) to create what he thinks is football banter. But it doesn't come naturally to him so he gets it wrong by trying to second guess what he thinks will amuse "moronic" football fans and, as usual, he gets it wrong.
Ronay is a fraud, like so many of his trendy London pals, but what is worse is that he is a patronising snob. Genuine fans who love football for what it is can see through him.

He is clearly just responding in kind to an obvious joke.

If anything he's making fun of himself there.
I disagree. I think he is sneering at football fans as he always does. He is being patronising, presumably at 11.24 pm after he has had a few drinks. He earns a good living reporting on football (though he has no qualifications as a journalist) but never misses an opportunity to mock the football fanbase.
I am sure it all goes down well with his chattering class pals but I think it makes him look arrogant and out of touch with his audience. He is a writer with a nice turn of phrase but a terrible sports reporter. Most of his content is "all about him" not about the sport that most of us love.

I disagree. I think he is sneering at football fans as he always does. He is being patronising, presumably at 11.24 pm after he has had a few drinks. He earns a good living reporting on football (though he has no qualifications as a journalist) but never misses an opportunity to mock the football fanbase.
I am sure it all goes down well with his chattering class pals but I think it makes him look arrogant and out of touch with his audience. He is a writer with a nice turn of phrase but a terrible sports reporter. Most of his content is "all about him" not about the sport that most of us love.
I am not a major fan of his writing - he doesn't really provide much insight and so needs "characters" to write about (I'd expect a LOT of Haaland articles from him, as the friction between Erling's style and City's is obvious, and that's about Ronay's level).

However, he even ends this article, by saying it will fascinating to watch how Pep coaches him, the antithesis of the Pep Fraudiola gang. The comment he's replying to on Twitter is a joke about Pep not cutting it in England - and replying with Erlying Fraaudland is exactly the kind of self-deprecating joke I'd expect to see on this site.

Henry Winter writing in the ST today:
“YNWA was booed by City fans, Bluemoon was jeered by Liverpool fans, God Save the Queen was drowned out by Liverpool supporters.”
Drowned out? Yes, by relentless booing!!! Call it out for what it is Winter you Clanfield fuckpig
Think the whole ground should stand and roar out our national anthem before we kick off aagainst the dippers at the Etihad.
No dippers in the Lionesses team so they keep telling everyone the rag goaly is a Liverpool fan.

If the Guardian had any integrity they’d have handed him a P45 after his ‘grinning beards’ comment.

Think the whole ground should stand and roar out our national anthem before we kick off aagainst the dippers at the Etihad.
No dippers in the Lionesses team so they keep telling everyone the rag goaly is a Liverpool fan.
It's laughable. After Russo's back heel, aided and abetted by the Swedish goalie, I spotted a headline in the Metro "Lessi is our Messi'! There's more bollocks printed in the football pages that if it sniffs a little of Dipper or Rag delight can make its way onto the front pages, and shove every world event back down the order on national news!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.