Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
You stated, 2001, a lot has changed. However, not many kids make it from the thousands at English Academies. Our Club provides excellent education options and sports training, further support on being released is also provided. The biggest role models for these kids should be parents but we’ve all seen them at kids football thinking their children are going to be the next Beckham without any idea of their actual ability.

As a kid, like most who played football my dream was to become a footballer, at Senior School during the trial for the year team I realised there were two lads who were head and shoulders above my level and that dream died right there. My parents supported me in every sport I played but also instilled in me I would need to work hard at School to give me a chance in my working life, seems today some people want success on a plate with little graft.
Has anyone watched the c4 doc about the crystal Palace academy? All the kids say I don't know what I'll do if I don't make it and most of them.are.dreaming about fast cars.if they do , as for the parents jeez it's an eye opener

This may not be the thread for it, but genuinely interested in your views and trying to understand the issues here.

There are three criticisms as far as I can see: that education isn't good enough; that cancellations happen without warning or preparation; and that there is insufficient follow up after cancellation. Is that about it?

Any views on those three issues particularly and how City compares to other academies? We are pretty well-run now. I would be surprised if we are less than very professional with the academies.
Hiya mate, no my reach was nowhere near as deep as that, apologies if it came across as that, I was just involved with a club that often played in tournaments all over the country with many of the major clubs academies, teams affiliated to the clubs, even one from the FA School of Excellence one match, but obviously we got to speak to a hell of a lot of people/parents/coach’s over the many years, as well as people who I got to know personally and their links etc outside of that, being completely frank, back then, the phrase they most commonly used sadly was “they’ll drop you like a sack of shit once they don’t want you”, I never really stopped to ask what other clubs did that was different, I was a bit gutted tbh as I always thought we’d be better than most.

You stated, 2001, a lot has changed. However, not many kids make it from the thousands at English Academies. Our Club provides excellent education options and sports training, further support on being released is also provided. The biggest role models for these kids should be parents but we’ve all seen them at kids football thinking their children are going to be the next Beckham without any idea of their actual ability.

As a kid, like most who played football my dream was to become a footballer, at Senior School during the trial for the year team I realised there were two lads who were head and shoulders above my level and that dream died right there. My parents supported me in every sport I played but also instilled in me I would need to work hard at School to give me a chance in my working life, seems today some people want success on a plate with little graft.
He must have an unprecedented level of contacts to know so many staunch level headed Blue’s AND parents of other kids released from clubs, or is he just stating empirical evidence from his time at the Job Centre in 2001 when the Club was a completely different entity.
Steady on mate, unprecedented levels of contacts ha, no more or less than anyone involved in youth team football who bothered to chat to other people and get to know what was going on and keep their ears open.

But anyway, yes the 2001 thing was a completely different thing to the coaching side, the 3 that came in weren’t expecting to be let go, and I specifically remember that particular lad because he was so devastated I was actually concerned for his welfare, so much so I had to take him to one side and give him a bit of a pep talk and convince him to stay in the game at any level ( he’d been offered a place with Witton Albion).

Hiya mate, no my reach was nowhere near as deep as that, apologies if it came across as that, I was just involved with a club that often played in tournaments all over the country with many of the major clubs academies, teams affiliated to the clubs, even one from the FA School of Excellence one match, but obviously we got to speak to a hell of a lot of people/parents/coach’s over the many years, as well as people who I got to know personally and their links etc outside of that, being completely frank, back then, the phrase they most commonly used sadly was “they’ll drop you like a sack of shit once they don’t want you”, I never really stopped to ask what other clubs did that was different, I was a bit gutted tbh as I always thought we’d be better than most.

OK, thanks for that. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.