Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
More accurately, his ghost writer must be covered in phlegm an inch deep. You don't think he types this himself, do you?
I seem to remember a few years back him demanding the right to reply to Talksport when he was still playing and being called up by England but never getting picked. He wanted to know why the station did not understand his feelings. Perhaps he can understand why we feel badly done to by the media, most of it and not one populated by has beens and various ne'er do wells.

From the article:

City are one of the three richest teams in soccer. They are owned by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the deputy Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and a member of the royal family of Abu Dhabi. The other two wealthiest clubs are also Arab owned. Paris Saint-Germain are the property of Qatar Sports Investment and Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund has an 80% stake in Newcastle United.

The City takeover in 2008 heralded a new era for soccer. Mansour was not a boyhood fan or even an investor looking for returns. What he wanted was to use soccer to enhance Abu Dhabi’s reputation.

There are two ways of looking at this. The more generous interpretation is that it was an implementation of “soft power.” A less favourable analysis is that this is an exercise in ‘sportswashing,’ an attempt to use the glamour of the game to deflect from unsavoury aspects of life in the Middle East.

Thought he was doing well for a moment and not claiming we are state owned. Didn't have to wait long for the BS --this ongoing fallacy that Mansour isn't an investor looking for returns beggars belief and one that so many of the whats app group run with. His mucker Rory Smith says exactly the same thing that it's 100% about sportswashing.
Soccer?..He must be scribbling guff for American Kopshites.

Man City v Brighton (Sat, 15:00 BST)
18c44f8f-e824-4f4b-bb6b-dad259f741f9.jpg

Manchester City

The Manchester City manager also believes his club's rivalry against Liverpool has not become toxic "from our side at least".

His English is getting better ;-)

The UAE is surely one of the more liberal Arab states. (OK it's not a Western democracy.) I wouldn't particularly want to live there, but if I had to live in an Arab state, which would be better? More liberal? More stable?

Anyone would think the UK was a perfect society, put in place by God as a sort of shining light to the Gentiles. What right have we to impose our standards (and imperfect systems) on people whose culture is entirely different? It isn't 1890 and we are not in the business of sending gunboats the 'civilise' other peoples.
A few seasons back I had a chat with two brothers from Abu Dhabi in the Mitchell Arms. They didn't support any particular team but we're doing a tour of Europe taking in the big clubs. I'm assuming they weren't royalty just popping in for a few pints, but they were obviously well educated ordinary people enjoying a laugh with everyone and seemingly in no rush to promote the Arab spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.