Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Guardian hates us for our wealth and the Mail hates us for our owner’s ethnicity.
The Guardian hates us because, like it or not, our owners have very close ties to a government, which, whilst not in the same class as the Saudis, has a dubious record when it comes to a number of issues that Westerners hold dear - worker’s rights, homosexuality, etc. It’s not stopped any of us (myself included) going to watch our team like we’ve always done, but it’s at least understandable, even allowing for the double standards practiced by several of the journalists concerned. The Mail I have nothing but utter contempt for.

The Guardian hates us because, like it or not, our owners have very close ties to a government, which, whilst not in the same class as the Saudis, has a dubious record when it comes to a number of issues that Westerners hold dear - worker’s rights, homosexuality, etc. It’s not stopped any of us (myself included) going to watch our team like we’ve always done, but it’s at least understandable, even allowing for the double standards practiced by several of the journalists concerned. The Mail I have nothing but utter contempt for.
There is clearly some truth in that but some of the Guardian writers (and their pals) have made racist comments about our owners (not just Ronay). Their false narrative (that we are owned by a state) is based on a trope that suggests that because Sheikh Mansour is of Arab heritage he somehow can't be trusted. Some of the stuff the paper has published about the investment in Manchester itself has been totally false. The sportswashing narrative itself is false. Why shouldn't Sheikh Mansour invest his money for profit like anyone else.
I have family and friends who have worked in the Middle East for many years and they insist that Abu Dhabi is one of the most liberal places in the region. To me the Mail and Guardian represent everything bad about this country. They represent both ends of the pollitical spectrum but their reportage is distorted and biased. I think people in this country deserve better from their media. We deserve impartial and honest coverage.

Pep: "Erling doesn't earn £950k per week"
Journo: "How much is he on then?"
Pep " thats a private matter but that figure isnt true"
journo " we believe he is"
Pep "You should stick to facts annd not guesswork"
Journno " what are the facts"
Pep " thats a private matter"

I would have more sympathy with attacks on other countries' morals if our country's morals were anything to boast about.

I would have more sympathy with criticism of billionaire owners if it was not virtually essential to be a billionaire to own a leading PL club. And if anyone ever became a billionaire by being a social worker or a nurse, and not by various questionable means and exploitation. The only 'honest' way to become a billionaire is to inherit it from your Mum/Dad. And you can still be a cnut then - e.g. Donald Trump.

Leave politics

You make some good points, and i would never approve of discrimination against same sex couples and other practices deemed in the west to be unacceptable. I personally don't like the part Chinese ownership of the club, My problem with the guardian and like minded journalists, is the continued never ending bullshit and lies about us being state owned, unlimited funds etc. And how unfair it is on the entitled red tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.