Melbourne City FC Thread

Re: Melbourne Heart FC Thread

dario2739 said:
Falastur said:
momo88 said:
seems to me a lot don't give a shit about colors some of are those united watcher in australia and now are moaning because of the sky blue color

but the club it self still less than 5 years of existence so or this shit history is talking is just way of bitching about City destroying football :)

Having been on their forums for 4 months now, I can't agree with this at all. I think I know of one United fan on that forum, at least who has identified themselves. I don't know what you've read to give you the idea they didn't care about their colours before, because there's not a single thing to suggest that. Before we came along, they had no reason to question whether they would ever stop wearing red & white. Otherwise, they've always been utterly committed to it. I'd say there's probably only 10% of them on that forum who would be willing to accept the change without concerns, and that's not including separating those who would welcome the change from those who simply will accept whatever happens.

I'm getting really sick of the whole "they've not got any history so why do they care about the colours" argument, too - partly because it's already been answered dozens of times now, including on the previous page of this thread. Why should four years (it's four, not five, FYI) not be long enough to become attached to a colour? Because we changed our colours when we were a new club? Very poor justification - when we changed our colours it was still the 19th century and football was barely a recognised sport. Clubs didn't know what identity was then. By the same logic, should we argue that Ukraine should have no right to resist Russia annexing its territory because it doesn't have the history to say that they think they have the right to keep control of their country? All that matters is that the Heart fans feel attached to the red and white and it forms their identity. Bear in mind that this is a team who have spent their entire existence being told that Victory are the "true" Melbourne club and that they should give up the foolish notion of supporting a weaker club - isn't that exactly what we were told about the scum for so long? How would we all react if Mansour had come in promising to change everything, and then had done so by turning us into Real Madrid-Manchester and changing our shirts to match Real's?

Really? Your likening changing the colours of a football team that's been in existence for 4 years to Russias aggressive land-grab for the Ukraine?
You really need to give your head a wobble!

It is exactly like Ardwick/West Gorton becoming Manchester City! Melbourne have the chance to become a strong, successful team with great resources. The fans will be treated (by the standards of Aussie football) superstar players. I'm sure there were fans of Ardwick and West Gorton who were vehemently against the change to Man City for the same reason Melbourne fans.
I could totally understand opposition to changing the colours of a team like Cardiff who have around a 100yrs of history – but not a 4yr old team. It also seems that most of the opposition seems to be off plastic rags, who are just bitter twats anyway!

Well fair enough. I'm going to continue believing that they have every right to be outraged - and to believe that they're not all a bunch of plastic rags - though.

Incidentally, for anyone who believes that the Heart fans do have a right to care about their colours, the Heart have announced another friendly, v Oldham on the 19th July:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20140602-melbourne-heart-friendly-1592140.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/ar ... 92140.aspx</a>

dario2739 said:
It is exactly like Ardwick/West Gorton becoming Manchester City! Melbourne have the chance to become a strong, successful team with great resources. The fans will be treated (by the standards of Aussie football) superstar players. I'm sure there were fans of Ardwick and West Gorton who were vehemently against the change to Man City for the same reason Melbourne fans.
I could totally understand opposition to changing the colours of a team like Cardiff who have around a 100yrs of history – but not a 4yr old team. It also seems that most of the opposition seems to be off plastic rags, who are just bitter twats anyway!
Actually, the Melbourne Heart fans are fans of all sorts of clubs in all sorts of countries. Very few of their teams play in sky blue of course, whilst many play in red and white - Arsenal, (Liverpool), Southampton, Sunderland, Stoke, Sheffield Utd, etc down the divisions, plus foreign teams, in addition to United.

What's so wrong with this? It's not as if both will be at home in the same game!

1397479616485.jpg-620x349.jpg

I guess MHFC could do an Argentina-type sky blue and white stripes. There wouldn't be any material difference between that and the current situation with MHFC and Adelaide Utd.

341797-2e03d984-8a65-11e3-9956-927a0b0ae164.jpg
613672-reds.jpg

Anyway, my team would be Western Sydney Wanderers. They're real menaces!

0.jpg

Out of interest I looked up the kits of the A-League...

5544094860_091e36dfed_b.jpg

There are three teams with yellow a predominant colour - makes the league's blocking our colour change seem somewhat hypocritical.

dario2739 said:

There are three teams with yellow a predominant colour - makes the league's blocking our colour change seem somewhat hypocritical.

Your kits are out of date. For a start, one of the teams wearing yellow went bust two years ago and was replaced by a team wearing red and black hoops. Another of the teams in yellow (Central Coast Mariners, with the blue trim) replaced their stripes with a single fat yellow band lined bookended by blue. Also the team wearing red and blue stripes, which previously looked similar to Melbourne Heart's red and white stripes, has replaced their stripes with a Crystal Palace-like half-and-half kit. In fairness, all of the A-League's kits look very distinct now, whereas a change to all sky blue would be pretty close to Sydney's shirt.

Falastur said:
dario2739 said:

Your kits are out of date. For a start, one of the teams wearing yellow went bust two years ago and was replaced by a team wearing red and black hoops. Another of the teams in yellow (Central Coast Mariners, with the blue trim) replaced their stripes with a single fat yellow band lined bookended by blue. Also the team wearing red and blue stripes, which previously looked similar to Melbourne Heart's red and white stripes, has replaced their stripes with a Crystal Palace-like half-and-half kit. In fairness, all of the A-League's kits look very distinct now, whereas a change to all sky blue would be pretty close to Sydney's shirt.

So what your saying - is that other teams, teams with more history then Heart, have changed their own designs and colours in recent years...

And the problem is?

billymumphrey said:
Falastur said:
dario2739 said:

So what your saying - is that other teams, teams with more history then Heart, have changed their own designs and colours in recent years...

And the problem is?
Don't how many times it needs to be repeated but its not the change of colour which is the problem per se but more the fact the club is potentially just being turned into Manchester city of Australia. Its perfectly understandable why their fans would be unhappy with this as every supporter wants there club to have their own identity.

What you also need to understand is that the League is just on 10 years old. All the clubs have been created somewhat artificially. Prior to the A league we had the NSL which had clubs over 50 years old, problem was the clubs and the league was a rabble. Now the objection to the change in colours and name is mixed some are staunch and won't budge but most don't like it but understand they don't have much choice. This biggest issue has been how the buyout has been handled and delivered to the season ticket holders very poorly. We have been constantly told by posters that CFG will be the best thing ever, that they don't do things haphazardly and we should consider ourselves lucky they have come along. We are hopeful that this is true, until now 4 months we have been given very little evidence of this. Time will tell. I am hopeful.

greasedupdeafguy said:
billymumphrey said:
Falastur said:

And the problem is?
Don't how many times it needs to be repeated but its not the change of colour which is the problem per se but more the fact the club is potentially just being turned into Manchester city of Australia. Its perfectly understandable why their fans would be unhappy with this as every supporter wants there club to have their own identity.

I guess the point that I was trying to make is that other clubs have gone through similar 'identity' changes - have changed colours and strips without a great deal of fuss.

From where I sit, there does appear to be an attitude of having their cake and eating it too. They want the marquee signings , check out the David Villa jizz thread, but then don't want the 'mini man city' identity. Despite the fact that there are detractors about name changes and colours, there is an overwhelming feeling about changing the culture of the club. To me that is intrinsically linked to changing the identity. And they can't have it both ways. Either they want a new culture that can translate to potential new success, or they maintain their old culture (and identity) and remain where they were.

You could argue that 'typical city' was an intrinsic part of our identity. However success on and off the pitch has engendered a new identity. Success and typical city cannot live hand in hand.

As an Aussie blue, I can tell you that much like we were "lickle City" compared to United, the A League is still the poor cousin compared to the other codes in Australia. Yet if they actually got their shit together, with the parlous state of affairs in both League and Union at the moment, there should be the groundswell there to become the second biggest code in the country (they won't ever overtake AFL) - however much like City they have a propensity to shoot themselves in the foot yet again - and by this I mean Sydney FC's objection to the colours, that Melbourne club registering names, some of the shambolic franchise decisions recently. If they looked at the greater good that City's involvement with Heart would bring to football in Australia, they would be tearing down the roadblocks rather than erecting them.

Put the self interest aside for the good of the game in the country and then they might actually start going places.

heartman said:
What you also need to understand is that the League is just on 10 years old. All the clubs have been created somewhat artificially. Prior to the A league we had the NSL which had clubs over 50 years old, problem was the clubs and the league was a rabble. Now the objection to the change in colours and name is mixed some are staunch and won't budge but most don't like it but understand they don't have much choice. This biggest issue has been how the buyout has been handled and delivered to the season ticket holders very poorly. We have been constantly told by posters that CFG will be the best thing ever, that they don't do things haphazardly and we should consider ourselves lucky they have come along. We are hopeful that this is true, until now 4 months we have been given very little evidence of this. Time will tell. I am hopeful.

Did they not produce a statement which said something along the lines of "Out of respect to the club and players in the middle of the season we will reserve wholesale changes and statements until at the conclusion of the season"?

So it's more like two or three weeks of inaction, not a third of a year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.