Memories from the Kippax

Done all of this myself.Started sat on the wall in the open bit next to the Platt Lane End with my dad next to me. Then on my own at the front. Then to critics corner which was the open end next to the south stand. Was there when the official crowd was less than 30,000 but we couldn't move in a ground capacity of 60,000 (Good old Peter Swales RIP) Funniest moment was the announcement of a brand new tannoy system - Sounded just like the comic with the dodgy microphone routine. Best moment jumping up and down singing "What a waste of money" throughout the 5-1 win. Loudest moment - When the whole ground erupted for the substitution of Paul Power with King Colin waiting on the touchline. All fond memories, and what is so good is the fact that I still sit with the same people who were there when they moved us into seats. Thus having all been there when we were **** we were together on May 13th. Its this bigger picture and a one club journey of 50+ yeras that has once again created a little tear of joy!!

SaddleworthBlueRhino said:
Done all of this myself.Started sat on the wall in the open bit next to the Platt Lane End with my dad next to me. Then on my own at the front. Then to critics corner which was the open end next to the south stand. Was there when the official crowd was less than 30,000 but we couldn't move in a ground capacity of 60,000 (Good old Peter Swales RIP) Funniest moment was the announcement of a brand new tannoy system - Sounded just like the comic with the dodgy microphone routine. Best moment jumping up and down singing "What a waste of money" throughout the 5-1 win. Loudest moment - When the whole ground erupted for the substitution of Paul Power with King Colin waiting on the touchline. All fond memories, and what is so good is the fact that I still sit with the same people who were there when they moved us into seats. Thus having all been there when we were **** we were together on May 13th. Its this bigger picture and a one club journey of 50+ yeras that has once again created a little tear of joy!!

Great stuff, you can't beat your football family.

My brother used to work in one of the bars in the Kippax during mid 80s.

Him and the other lads used to take their own boxes of Oxo so they could sell the Bovril and pocket absolute profit.

Was pretty common practice and used to make a fortune. Me and my pals used to get sorted for free pies, although I wouldn't consider that a perk!

My worst memory was being taken short and having to use a cubicle in the bogs near the turnstiles at the back of the Kippax. They were absolutely vile, but I had to go. The experience haunts me to this day.
Also standing on the Kippax as a lad when it was uncovered, on a day it poured down. I got drenched, and got a right bollocking off my ma when I got home, but it was a better view than from the Platt Lane covered (seatless) stand. How many recall the open Kippax now?

horse_shit.jpg

and

Dog_shit.jpg

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
As a kid, looking for the 'best' place to watch before I settled on the old uncovered North Stand, I remember seeing THREE City place kicks in the last ten minutes. On eighty mins we were whipping Wolves 3-1 and then from the halfway line, as a Manchester smog descended on Moss Side, all I saw was the three place kicks and a 4-3 reverse. So all you buggers who haven't got over the Real reverse, 2-1 up with five mins to go, if yer true and blue, yer won't have got over it by 2065!

Dave, I take it you now reside in the States because f*ck knows what a 'place kick' is but I think the match you are refering to was the League Cup. If this is the right match I was with my old man in the Platt Lane and as you say we were 3-1 down. There was one penalty (F.H. Lee duly obliged) Bell scored another but I cant remember who got the third of the goals to put us ahead. I am sure bar Lee's penalty all were from open play. I remember knowing just knowing that with that kind of performance we were sure to go all the way to Wembley. We drew Bury away in the next round and lost 1-0 !!! Typical bloody City.

got my first kippax season ticket in 1981
always arrived at least an hour before kickoff
& loved being able to wander about freely down the front
but the biggest memory i retain was that wonderful surge forward after a goal
especially when the stand was full to bursting
the exhileration of being swept up in a mass of joyous blue squashed-upness
happy days

Many many good and bad memories from the Kippax, from the mid 60;s, but like our team now we have to look forward to memories we are going to make for younger blues, fans and footballers.

Coppers on raised platforms at the back of the Kippax

The deadly steep steps (later covered by the rebuilt "safe" exits in the late 70s)

The stinky bogs (nearer the North stand)

Dog sh#t ally (going towards the Platt Lane)

Crushed to f#ck (Charlton 85 and Everton 81)

Pints of piss aimed at away fans

Sh#t Dot matrix scoreboard

The sort of comradery that is rarely seen at football grounds these day. Simply, the best terrace ever

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.