Memories of the Pink Final

Mugatu said:
The truck / bus thing at Maine Road situated near the souvenir shop... it contained a sort of a mobile printing press that produced the Pink (early edition) if I remember rightly. I never bought the paper as I was about 10 but my Dad explained it to me saying you could get the results and a half arsed match report almost straight after the game.

Remember this and the long haird bloke. Thing was, the scores were just the latest and many a time got in to see a different set of results reported with last minute goals etc.
Was an invaluable source of info o the club though pre internet and Sky Sports

Waiting outside the newsagent for it to thrown out of the back of the evening news van it was a great honour to carry the bundle of papers into the shop to the waiting crowd

i used to get it at full time outside the ground at maine rd, mind it only used to have so many f/t scores

life as it was before sky and mobile phones !! only other links to other results were old blokes - to me at the time !- with a small transistor radio glued to their heads walking out the ground at full time, "how have so n so got on mate my old man used to ask ?" . nothin was finalised or confirmed until you saw it in print IN THE PINK !!

petermanc said:
Waiting outside the newsagent for it to thrown out of the back of the evening news van it was a great honour to carry the bundle of papers into the shop to the waiting crowd
Haha, indeed it was.
There was always a gang of blokes outside the shop, shuffling around aimlessly with their hands in their pockets, waiting for the van to arrive. It looked like a prison exercise yard.
The very first thing you looked at was the league table.

The Sunday football preview was great inside.
I played for the reformed hulton rangers and we were all over 30.
We made the semis in Manchester county cup.
The headlines every time we were due to play were
"Hulton old timers will meet their match"
but we kept winning.
We were then fancied by the pink in the semis and
lost to Thatched House from Middleton in extra time.

I remember my old man and i leaving maine rd and him picking up the pink straight away then we would get bus to picadilly for train.All part of match day experience lost in yesteryear.God i miss it when i look back

Happy, Happy days!
Used to go to Maine Road with my Uncle, he had season tickets for City, Utd. and Bury, and he was a Newcastle fan! came down here laying tarmac on the motorways. He would drive us to The Moss 'mind yer car sir' 50p, same street every match. I would be squeezed through the turnstile into the main stand, sit on any empty seat, even sat on a bench with the ballboys once, after the game we would wait for The Pink outside the souvenir shop, like I said Happy days.

the pink was good especially if you were lucky enough to get your fish and chips wrapped up in the results section even better if city had won

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.