MEN - United have "embarrassed" City over academy graduates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, and yet some on here still miss the point. Patience is a virtue.
You saying it's only a matter of time before we see academy players in the first team?

I can't see it if you are mate. Most modern managers with a big kitty seem obsessed with buying the ready made players to slot in. Academy players require time and patience to develop and integrate in to the first team squad. Can't see who the next academy player will be to do that myself.

Rashford only got in by necessity and from what I've been told by rags i know, wasn't even the 3rd best player
in his youth group.

But that does not highlight exactly why kids should be given an opportunity?

From what you have said he was the third best player at youth level and yet now is an established part of a top 6 squad in England, capped by his country and probably worth in excess of 35 million in the current market. Shows what can happen when presented with an opportunity.

I will defer Neville Kneville here as he clearly knows a lot more about the set up to me and there maybe players ready now but I really hope Sancho, Diaz and Foden get a chance over the next couple of years rather than using the market every time to fix a problem.

You saying it's only a matter of time before we see academy players in the first team?

I can't see it if you are mate. Most modern managers with a big kitty seem obsessed with buying the ready made players to slot in. Academy players require time and patience to develop and integrate in to the first team squad. Can't see who the next academy player will be to do that myself.
I think foden is one of the best iv seen at that level. Could see Maffeo and Garcia being 1st team squad regulars as well. It is difficult in the cash rich premier league to put youngsters straight in but my point is that mourhino will not play youngsters unless he has injuries because theirs are also not deemed good enough, therefore their academy does not put ours to shame. I also think this will be our last big transfer window for a few years and that we will gradually phase in academy players. Pep didnt do too bad at Barca bringing a few through. Its an argument that takes several years to prove either way.

From what you have said he was the third best player at youth level and yet now is an established part of a top 6 squad in England, capped by his country and probably worth in excess of 35 million in the current market. Shows what can happen when presented with an opportunity.

I will defer Neville Kneville here as he clearly knows a lot more about the set up to me and there maybe players ready now but I really hope Sancho, Diaz and Foden get a chance over the next couple of years rather than using the market every time to fix a problem.

I was merely pointing out, that if not for any other viable option Van Gaal may not have picked him.
I'm the same as most football fans, we want to see youngsters come through the ranks. Just don't
think United play that many more than us.

I think foden is one of the best iv seen at that level. Could see Maffeo and Garcia being 1st team squad regulars as well. It is difficult in the cash rich premier league to put youngsters straight in but my point is that mourhino will not play youngsters unless he has injuries because theirs are also not deemed good enough, therefore their academy does not put ours to shame. I also think this will be our last big transfer window for a few years and that we will gradually phase in academy players. Pep didnt do too bad at Barca bringing a few through. Its an argument that takes several years to prove either way.
I hope you're right about phasing in our home grown, otherwise our academy will just become a mega expensive white elephant.

I hope you're right about phasing in our home grown, otherwise our academy will just become a mega expensive white elephant.
Not financially - an occasional sale like, say, Kelechi for £20m plus a number of others bringing in the odd million or more each (plus sell-on clauses of course) and the Academy will probably break even over the years, just like the old Platt Lane academy did over the 10 years from 1998 to the takeover - even without SWP's £21m the rest of the sales more or less paid for the running costs. It will take longer to recoup the much larger capital outlay for the new academy but I imagine ADUG factored that in when considering the pros and cons.

Of course it would be much more satisfying if it produced a few first-team regulars as well but if it doesn't the net costs are likely to be minimal.

it is important to understand what Rashford is ,he is a poor footballer who the Glaizers need to take over the mantle of icon from Rooney, just a marketing tool his stats do not stand up to Bents.
I know a rag who runs his mouth off about youth in the first team, my reply to him is the same as last year ` there are always better players abroad which is why you are a mid table team just as city was when we had the record for bringing through youth players into the premiership`
we will bring in youth when they are good enough , not just for marketing

As we would all love the academy to come through,imo I feel that the academy lads need bringing in gradually all though it would be great for Sanchez/Foden to be the next Silva/Aguero they would get so much stick if we aren't playing well. Unfortunately(for the academy) this is not the 1980/90s where we had to bring them in to sell on. Nowadays we can go out and buy ready made superstars. Everyone is getting excited by the likes of Mendy/ Mbappe and Ederson being signed.
Hopefully the next stage of Peps revolution is to bring the academy kids through. I also think that it would be difficult to have a token youngster on the bench. Pep put a whole lot of kids in for the league cup and is still getting stick for throwing the game even now.

The people running the MEN must be pretty stupid. They are the only local paper I know of to have few if any links to their local clubs - they never get an exclusive, they effectively have to make stories up or feed off second hand scraps and to cap it all they employ United supporting Essex Boys to shovel shit on City - thus alienating a significant chunk of their rapidly declining readership. It's got so bad I even decline a free copy these days - I have no interest in reading the MEN and quite frankly will never read it again... but then again how much longer can it stumble on - it's clearly gone into decline like most papers in recent years but the way it's handled things has been very odd and totally counter productive.
There's a beautiful fascination witnessing the newspaper industry enter the early stages of its death throes, but the MEN seems to aspire to speeding up that end process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.