Mental Illness

BlueSam said:
Like ive helped her for the past 3 years and i am gonna try and get her to see her gp. Hopefully she will be okay. I do have to think of myself though. Ive got 4 uni exams on monday and i cant think straight at all. Its just so sad to think that someone so full of life and with such an amazing brain and kindness could soon be something totally different

My experience of this is that the person with mental issues has to realise that there is a problem.

Whilst they refuse to accept there is a problem then it is difficult to do much for them.

BlueSam said:
Like ive helped her for the past 3 years and i am gonna try and get her to see her gp. Hopefully she will be okay. I do have to think of myself though. Ive got 4 uni exams on monday and i cant think straight at all. Its just so sad to think that someone so full of life and with such an amazing brain and kindness could soon be something totally different

Good luck with those exams :)

-- Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:04 pm --

nashark said:
Not your problem.

You are right, of course. But if you found yourself in his girlfriends situation, I'm sure you'd want someone as caring and loving as BlueSam looking out for you......

She may not recognise that now, but in time I'm sure she will.

I think im gonna take her up my tv and a freeview box this weekend. Keep her mind off things maybe is my thought process. she already has an old xbox so we could play halo online or something.

I know this might sound stupid, but have you thought about physical exercise, I suffer from depression have done since the eighties, it comes and goes,I call it my black moods. I find that if I feel it coming on that if I go to the gym within the week it starts to subside and I can cope with it a lot better thus not having to take any medication for it. I have refused medication totally for the past 15 years which has probably given me the freedom to combat it in my own way without someone else controlling me. But good luck and listen to the little things she says that usually gives you a clue to how bad she is feeling at that time.

I will talk to her about fitness, I have tried encouraging her to run loads in the past but she didn't seem very interested.

She seems like really great when you talk to her but the more you do the more stuff comes out.
I really don't think I am very good at dealing with emotional stress, ive never felt like I have done today, my heart is literally hurting and I cant eat anything, I feel sick. I dont want her to get ill :(

she needs professional help to draw the problems out from her. sadly as someone close to her you may be too emotionally involved to support her through it as you wish. you can be there as support but ultimately she needs to recognise the issues and seek relevant help. it's awful watching someone go downhill as you feel you should be able to snap them out of it. it then drags you down also as you feel guilty about being happy around them. good luck and hope she recovers her mental health.

BlueSam said:
I will talk to her about fitness, I have tried encouraging her to run loads in the past but she didn't seem very interested.

She seems like really great when you talk to her but the more you do the more stuff comes out.
I really don't think I am very good at dealing with emotional stress, ive never felt like I have done today, my heart is literally hurting and I cant eat anything, I feel sick. I dont want her to get ill :(

You may not feel you are very good at dealing with emotional stress .....but you will do it because you have to...your posts on here prove that much. There is a balance to be dealt with here - your own life and (in the immediate situation) your exams. and the fact that you are (and, as importantly, you know you are) the most important person in the world to this girl right now. So, make her aware / keep her aware that you are there for her (see knows it already but a bit of reiteration never hurts when somebody is feeling low). The advice further up - re exercise - is a sound one (so encourage her in that direction)....and it is not all about running....what about some a bit more upbeat - zumba et al - which, as well as the physical benefit, might help her widen her social circle.

All in all, while you are around, the smart money is on her coming through this. Stay strong - you are a hell of an individual from what you've shared with us on here ...and very good luck to both of you. Am sure it will be a happy ending - you'll sort it man!!!

I work with people with severe mental health problems. The main answer to anyone with a mental illness is they have to want help and to change there own lifestyle. They cannot be forced to seek help, only advised.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.