Messi or Ronaldo?

GStar said:
il padrino said:
Cristiano Ronaldo; He can carry a team, and can score goals from distance, headers, free kicks. In the current Barca team he would have 60 goals by now.
Benjani would score 37 goals by January with Pedro, Iniesta, Xavi and Villa behind him.

Most Argentinians don't rate Messi, and refer to him as the 'Spaniard', as he is very one dimensional as a footballer, only able to function in the Tiki Taka style that Barca and Spain have exhibited in recent years.

Interesting.

I think Ronaldo is a more complete player... he has the agility and the technique but he's 6 foot plus and built to bounce defenders off him.

He's been the PL top goalscorer from midfield and is now doing it week in week out in Madrid.

Messi has and probably never will prove he can do it in a team that isn't streets ahead of everyone else.

So, for me, Ronaldo.

Ronaldo did not play from midfield for Man Utd, there were alot of games he played as an orthodox striker, and the games he did play wide, it wasn't as a midfielder, but an attacking inside winger/forward. Fletcher, Carrick and Rooney did all the donkey work, which allowed Ronaldo to score loads of goals. I remember an interview with Fletcher last season, where he said the team had to be tailored in a certain way for Ronaldo to benefit so well. Its the same at Real. This is why Ronaldo hasn't had the same success for Portugal, because the team is different, and he has to play for the team rather than himself, not the other way round. You say Messi can probably only do it for a great team, but its the same with Ronaldo, he's played for Man Utd, and Real Madrid, two of the biggest teams in the world. Its hardly like he's done it for Wigan, or Wolves.

GStar said:
il padrino said:
Cristiano Ronaldo; He can carry a team, and can score goals from distance, headers, free kicks. In the current Barca team he would have 60 goals by now.
Benjani would score 37 goals by January with Pedro, Iniesta, Xavi and Villa behind him.

Most Argentinians don't rate Messi, and refer to him as the 'Spaniard', as he is very one dimensional as a footballer, only able to function in the Tiki Taka style that Barca and Spain have exhibited in recent years.

Interesting.

I think Ronaldo is a more complete player... he has the agility and the technique but he's 6 foot plus and built to bounce defenders off him.

He's been the PL top goalscorer from midfield and is now doing it week in week out in Madrid.

Messi has and probably never will prove he can do it in a team that isn't streets ahead of everyone else.
So, for me, Ronaldo.

I remember when Ronaldo played for Wigan and was banging them in!!!

He has always played in teams miles ahead of the rest as well. Real Madrid may not be top in La Liga but they in the top 2 that dominates every year

il padrino said:

This

Messi is better but I'd rather have Ronaldo in our team since he's Premier League proven.

Sabster said:
il padrino said:

This

Sabster are you Argentinian, your not really allowed on these talks because your hatred for Messi clouds judgement

BoyBlue_1985 said:

He has always played in teams miles ahead of the rest as well. Real Madrid may not be top in La Liga but they in the top 2 that dominates every year

In response to what the other guy said about Argentinians not rating Messi.

And others saying Ronaldo scores goals on his own and Messi gets a lot of his goals as the result of great build up play.

So put Messi in a team where the build up play isn't there and see what he does.

GStar said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:

And others saying Ronaldo scores goals on his own and Messi gets a lot of his goals as the result of great build up play.

So put Messi in a team where the build up play isn't there and see what he does.

Go on youtube type Messi in and see just how many goals he scores on his own including doing something Ronaldo doesnt often do, beat players with skill alone

They both fantastic i would have both, but i do get bored of hearing messi is only good in a good team. If it was that simple then Villa would have 37 goals already this season as well

BoyBlue_1985 said:
Sabster said:

Sabster are you Argentinian, your not really allowed on these talks because your hatred for Messi clouds judgement

My hatred for Messi? He is the most enjoyable player to watch in the world and undoubtable has the best technique.

But he is ovverated IMO.

Lionel Messi.

He is the best player in the world and arguably one of the all time greats already.

We'll start off with some pretty simple stuff.

Ronaldo: 31 starts. 1 sub appearance. 32 goals, 9 assists.

Messi: 27 starts, 5 sub appearances. 37 goals, 18 assists.

Now for me though, the reason why Messi is the best and the reason why it hasn't worked for Argentina is because for Barcelona, he is just another player. He is better than everyone else but he has a role in a team, he plays for the team. You watch in hope of him getting the ball and dribbling every time, wanting him to take players on, does he? no. He plays it simple, he doesn't go searching for the ball, he plays his role, waits and comes alive at the right times. Barcelona do not rely on Messi and that's why he's so good because Barca don't just look to Messi, they look to everyone in the their team which means when teams play against them, you can't double/triple on players because they will exploit other gaps. Pedro, Villa world class players, Iniesta, Alves, Maxwell, Xavi, all heavily support the front line. Teams try to stop Messi but that doesn't stop Barcelona which is what makes them a great team and also makes Messi a great player. He understands it. He draws players into him and then releases it. I know perhaps people think...this is more talking about Barcelona as a team rather than why Messi is great but it says a lot about a player who has so many goals and assists and yet is so much of a team player. He knows the right times of being a team player which means he'll be part of great Barcelona teams and also when to be an individual, hence why he's such a great individual. He has the perfect balance.

Where as for Argentina, Maradonna tried to make him the star, the one man team. He isn't that player. That doesn't make him not as good but Messi is a forward player who is going to be in/out the game but then when he's in it, utterly unstoppable. He's not the sort of player who is in a game all the time who starts the moves off. Maradonna wanted Messi to be Maradonna but Messi is Messi, they are different players. He's not used to that role, it's hard for someone to completely adapt from being a team player to almost being forced to being an individual of a team.

Messi has pace, his dribbling ability is not matched by a single player. His creativity is up there as good as anyone's in the world, his passing in the final third is destructive, his vision and footballing brain as well as team ethic and work rate is top notch. His strength and power and balance is so under-rated, it's almost impossible to knock him off the ball.

Ronaldo scored 42 in 07-08, 9 assists in 49 games. During that season, Man City weren't the same team as they are now. Liverpool were better but still not title challenging, Arsenal were a very good team but not great, similar to now I'd say. Chelsea under Grant weren't a great team although still very good. If Messi was playing in that season from the right and through the middle at the level he is playing now but back then....I'd say he'd have similar if not more. He doesn't have to prove anything for me, why would he leave the best team in the world? The reason Messi has nothing to prove is because the last two seasons, he's been clearly the best player on the planet. Yes of course, if he moved, he wouldn't score and create so many, nor would Ronaldo. Ronaldo before moving to Real scored 26 in 53 the season before, so I mean, it's not as if he was scoring at the same rate.

Ronaldo is a world class player but for me he's just a level behind Messi, maybe not in terms of talent with the ball but his mental attributes of knowing how to play for the team and being that team player which is massive in big games, a reason why Barca destroyed Madrid. Also I think Messi is a far more creative player and has a better all round game. Messi can score goals like Ronaldo but he can also pass a ball like his team-mates, where as Ronaldo for Barcelona, he'd probably have 25+ goals, but I would also believe that firstly Barcelona would be a worse and less successful team and also Ronaldo would create far less for his team-mates also. He just wouldn't fit into a Barcelona style. He doesn't have the mentality.

Ronaldo has more attributes in terms of ways to score goals, left foot, right foot, head...but Messi is for me just the all round better player in individual and team aspects.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
GStar said:

Go on youtube type Messi in and see just how many goals he scores on his own including doing something Ronaldo doesnt often do, beat players with skill alone

They both fantastic i would have both, but i do get bored of hearing messi is only good in a good team. If it was that simple then Villa would have 37 goals already this season as well

See samuel eto'o two seasons befor and pedro thos season etc

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.