Metrolink to / from Etihad

Complained to Metrolink today about their dreadful service back towards town after yesterdays game. At least I got a prompt reply:-

Good morning,

Thank you for contacting Metrolnk and firstly please allow me to apologise that you have had to contact us regarding your recent experiences.

Please allow me to address your recent experience with our service after the Manchester City v Arsenal match on Sunday, September 22nd. I understand that you faced overcrowded conditions onboard the tram. It is regretful to read this as we had extra special services which were made available to reduce overcrowding but it is apparent that this did not help as expected. Staff on the ground should have stopped any further passengers from boarding at the point that the tram had reached its capacity. Your feedback regarding this will be passed to both the network managers and the planning department for their consideration.

Delays are often foreseen before and after events at the Etihad, However, we wouldn't expect there to be delays in excess of 20 minutes. Unfortunately, this did happen, due to an increase of extra tram services and extra patronage around the network, alongside any road traffic coming towards/away from the ground. I understand you wanted to travel in a timely manner after the match but we did experience a delay due to a number of different factors as mentioned.

I have also passed your comments regarding the drivers conduct to the driver managers, who will be able to establish who the drivers are to invite them to attend an interview to discuss the contents of your email and should the drivers have failed to ensure passenger safety, the appropriate action will be taken to satisfy your complaint.

Once again, thank you for this feedback and I hope that you will see an improvement to our services in response to your comments.

Best regards,

Lauren

Customer Services

I'm in total agreement with the comments around the old Mitchell Arms. Manchester City Council have done there worse to stop fans attending using their cars. They then allow Uber drivers to park/queue on the tram tracks.The tram service would be massively improve if the trams were given exclusive use of the tram tracks. The Ubers should be placed in a hold somewhere about 1k away from the stadium until 45 minutes after the final whistle. The bulk of Uber users after the match are generally people who have been in hospitality who stay for an hour after the match. MCC should have their road management team out post match along with Burnham to assess the issues.

Usually go to the grove after the match and have a few then get the tram from Clayton Hall an hour or so after full time. Wont be able to do this tomorrow and will have to get the tram straight after the game from the etihad to ashton. How terrible is this going to be?

Last edited:
For those complaining about the overcrowding, I'm not sure what you expect from an urban transport solution trying to transport people to/from a particular event. There are people at all of the stops to stop an unsafe number boarding (certainly towards town they only allow a set number onto the platform at a time), the same is true at Old Trafford (for the cricket!!!!!). Yes its uncomfortable but I'd be amazed if its legally unsafe.

Usually go to the grove after the match and have a few then get the tram from Clayton Hall an hour or so after kick off. Wont be able to do this tomorrow and will have to get the tram straight after the game from the etihad to ashton. How terrible is this going to be?

we park next to the grove pub. Is clayton hall met stop shut tomorrow?

If i was you, I'd either leave earlier than planned & get the tram outside the ground or just walk it to CH and wait.

For those complaining about the overcrowding, I'm not sure what you expect from an urban transport solution trying to transport people to/from a particular event. There are people at all of the stops to stop an unsafe number boarding (certainly towards town they only allow a set number onto the platform at a time), the same is true at Old Trafford (for the cricket!!!!!). Yes its uncomfortable but I'd be amazed if its legally unsafe.

its the same during normal peak times on the network. The metrolink is an accident waiting to happen

we park next to the grove pub. Is clayton hall met stop shut tomorrow?

If i was you, I'd either leave earlier than planned & get the tram outside the ground or just walk it to CH and wait.
yeah clayton hall is always closed for a bit after the game (not sure how long it is tho)

Always thought it was open, usually the stop outside Asda is shut but always see a crowd at CH
the stop at asda going to ashton as always been closed,no tram stops there after a match for probably an hour.
last season, towards the end of the season,they stopped stopping at clayton hall too , i know cos we always walk back
and they'd stop,but didn't open the tram doors for people to get on or off !
if I'd been a local coming home from town I'd have been furious.
i was told,it was because of people not paying for the tram,going and coming back from games

its the same during normal peak times on the network. The metrolink is an accident waiting to happen
That's what I fear. I can understand why Manchester is discouraging people from using cars but if we don't have a public transport system good enough to pick up the slack that's far from ideal. The good news is the shuttle bus service seems to be expanding out to more areas.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.