Michael Brown

Was he that crap when he was at City? I know the physical game has changed but has someone forgotten to tell Brown that?

ZabbaStuntDouble said:
Was he that crap when he was at City? I know the physical game has changed but has someone forgotten to tell Brown that?
He was one of our best players and made a step up going to SheffU, where he played very well.

Franny Lee's Barrel Chest said:
I asked Joe Royle why he did get rid at a supporters function once. Wasn't a City supporters do, more of a general sportsmans evening. Anyway when I asked him, his reply was that he wanted his midfielders to be able to either pass the ball well, win the ball or score goals and sadly Browny never seemed to do any of those to any great effect. So that's why he went. If he went on and did well elsewhere (and he's certainly had a good living from the game) then that's probably due to him working on whichever of those attributes he came up short on.

At Sheffield United, where Brown went after leaving City, he had a really excellent scoring record, albeit at the level now known as the Championship. He went from there and played in the Prem for Spurs, Fulham, Wigan and Pompey, where he couldn't shown anything like the same scoring form against better opposition so was basically known for being competitive. Now that he's knocking on, the 'combative midfielder' shtick seems to be all he can produce in the Championship, too.

Big mIstake by joe royle to sell brown, but they didn't get on. Brown scored for Sheffield utd against us back in the days when our explayers always scored against us. Told royle to fuck off after the game too as he never wanted to leave. As his career progressed he was a player we could have badly done with in the 2000s. Steve lomas and Garry flitcroft were two other midfielders qho we never replaced, although I think their sales were for money.

What a terribly run club we were back then. How many players we sold who could have had excellent careers with us.

Didsbury Dave said:
Big mIstake by joe royle to sell brown, but they didn't get on. Brown scored for Sheffield utd against us back in the days when our explayers always scored against us.

In those days you could transfer a player and insist that he couldn't play in the next game against you. Joe Royle didn't bother to do that, and I remember us all saying the day before the game on the old BV that he was an absolute cert to get the winner against us at Bramall Lane. Of course, it ended 1-0 to the Blades, scorer Michael Brown. I was f**king livid.

Didsbury Dave said:
Big mIstake by joe royle to sell brown, but they didn't get on. Brown scored for Sheffield utd against us back in the days when our explayers always scored against us. Told royle to fuck off after the game too as he never wanted to leave. As his career progressed he was a player we could have badly done with in the 2000s. Steve lomas and Garry flitcroft were two other midfielders qho we never replaced, although I think their sales were for money.

What a terribly run club we were back then. How many players we sold who could have had excellent careers with us.
Michael Brown was utterly limited. A dreadful footballer. He was dreadful in a City shirt and dreadful for every other club. Had no idea how to pass the ball forward, all he could do was foul the opposition.

But you are a ****, Dave, and only you and your alter ego, Billy, could make a case for Michael Brown. You are a shit head. And you look like Herman Munster.

petrusha said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Big mIstake by joe royle to sell brown, but they didn't get on. Brown scored for Sheffield utd against us back in the days when our explayers always scored against us.

In those days you could transfer a player and insist that he couldn't play in the next game against you. Joe Royle didn't bother to do that, and I remember us all saying the day before the game on the old BV that he was an absolute cert to get the winner against us at Bramall Lane. Of course, it ended 1-0 to the Blades, scorer Michael Brown. I was f**king livid.
You're right. I remember it well. I was at bramall lane that day and he bossed the game and went mad when he scored, too. Bad day. Was it the season we were relegated under royle?

Didsbury Dave said:

We didn't sell him for footballing reasons. He was a bit of an alchy and was living with a couple of other players and bringing them down with him (Whitley brothers I think)

He was a bad influence and that is the reason he went. He was my fave player at the time but by all accounts we didn't have a choice.

My one memory of Brown is an FA Cup match against Darlington. Sat in a freezing Maine Road it seemed like the match was going to penalties and I was already envisaging us going out on penalties when he popped up with a goal that was far better than the game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.