Michael Johnson.....

moomba said:
The cookie monster said:
moomba said:
Just on the Mail article, and I'm not saying anything like this will happen (I wouldn't have a clue what he's like as a person and what issues he has), but I would have hoped our media might have learned a lesson over that nurse thing a month or so ago.
How do you know the club havnt helped him moomba?

I'd be surprised if they haven't. Was more about the Fail taking the piss out of a person that obviously has some issues in life.

I doubt that anybody who has taken their own life would blame anybody other than themselves for doing what they do in the end.

In saying that some people need assistance to and the right kind and if that assistance comes at the right time the person can often lead a productive and long life afterwards.

With the power of the media these days and with social media having much more force and immediacy than the old forms ever did and will have it is the case the authors / editors have a responsibility to ensure the relevant piece is accurate and reflective of what the person they are writing about is comfortable with and would like others to know.

We all know bad news travels faster , sells more advertising space etc and has much more impact than good news and its reflective in the media in general.

Personally if I was a CEO of a media outlet outside the facts / figures and information everybody wants to know when it comes to storylines and opinion pieces I would make it a point of spinning good news as opposed to bad news.

I have learnt that you can look at everything no matter how disasterous and sad in a positive light.

If more of that became the norm we would all be richer for the experiences we have.

mancity1 said:
moomba said:
The cookie monster said:

I'd be surprised if they haven't. Was more about the Fail taking the piss out of a person that obviously has some issues in life.

I doubt that anybody who has taken their own life would blame anybody other than themselves for doing what they do in the end.

In saying that some people need assistance to and the right kind and if that assistance comes at the right time the person can often lead a productive and long life afterwards.

With the power of the media these days and with social media having much more force and immediacy than the old forms ever did and will have it is the case the authors / editors have a responsibility to ensure the relevant piece is accurate and reflective of what the person they are writing about is comfortable with and would like others to know.

We all know bad news travels faster , sells more advertising space etc and has much more impact than good news and its reflective in the media in general.

Personally if I was a CEO of a media outlet outside the facts / figures and information everybody wants to know when it comes to storylines and opinion pieces I would make it a point of spinning good news as opposed to bad news.

I have learnt that you can look at everything no matter how disasterous and sad in a positive light.

If more of that became the norm we would all be richer for the experiences we have.
That's very true.

However, the public love nothing more than a juicy, salacious, sensation, soar-away scoop that shows the rich and famous in meltdown to make them feel much better about their own sad, drab, empty and lonely existence.

mcfc_nick said:
Berkovic_blue said:
WNRH said:
Was getting pissed up most nights part of the recovery schedule?

And you were there to witness this? Or are you slagging him off based on hearsay?
to be fair i think its quite well known that he wasnt the most sober of people.

I replied to a comment stating "Was getting pissed up most nights" as if it wwas a fact. There's a difference between liking a drink and being out nearly every night. Unless the poster was there to witness it then how the hell does he know?

A friend of mine was a pretty good 1,500 metre runner in his time and always had an interest in athletics. When out one night I asked him who he best 100 metres runner in the World was (this was a few years ago) and he said: the best 100 metres runner in the World is proably sat in front of his sofa eating a Domino's pizza. Injury, laziness or plain bad luck has got the better of them.

I refuse to feel too sorry for Johnson. There are people who have been dealt a much worse hand in life who deal with it with great fortitude and dignity who are far more worthy of sympathy.

That said, I refuse to condemn him either. My life's been full of ups and downs and I'm not too arrogant to claim that I couldn't have gone off the rails if things hadn't worked out differently. As others have said we all deal with adversity differently.

I don't know what it was with him. Coming back from injury can be a pretty dispiriting thing, maybe he's lazy or maybe he likes the booze too much or maybe, as others have said he's a wanker.

What I do know is that life rarely turns out like we expect when we're 18. For him that will be especially the case. He had the World at his feet an has had to watch the club go from strength to strength whilst his career fell apart. The contrast between the two must intensify his agony.

I hope he finds some way of dealing with it, but it's certainly going to be far from easy.

mancity1 said:
moomba said:
The cookie monster said:

Last year two ex-rugby players from Sale Sharks, (David Tait and Selorm Kuadey), both in their mid twenties apparently committed suicide, when they had to retire early through injury.
There has been much criticism that the rugby club should have down much more to provide counciling and support to players unable to continue with their careers.
I would hope our club can learn from such tradjedies and give our players top level care and support physically and mentally.

Berkovic_blue said:
mcfc_nick said:
Berkovic_blue said:
And you were there to witness this? Or are you slagging him off based on hearsay?
to be fair i think its quite well known that he wasnt the most sober of people.

I replied to a comment stating "Was getting pissed up most nights" as if it wwas a fact. There's a difference between liking a drink and being out nearly every night. Unless the poster was there to witness it then how the hell does he know?
TBF, it is "common knowledge" MJ drinks locally in public so a lot of people have witnessed his drinking over a long period of time.
He's not drinking at home on his own. It's a difficult situation he's an adult but he needs help.

LoveCity said:
:(((((((

BAmhsSXCAAA24l_.jpg:large

I bet when he tries to chat the birds up and says "I play for Manchester City" they walk away laughing.

Plain Speaking said:
mancity1 said:
moomba said:

Last year two ex-rugby players from Sale Sharks, (David Tait and Selorm Kuadey), both in their mid twenties apparently committed suicide, when they had to retire early through injury.
There has been much criticism that the rugby club should have down much more to provide counciling and support to players unable to continue with their careers.
I would hope our club can learn from such tradjedies and give our players top level care and support physically and mentally.

Awful. Really is horrible.

However, do people on this thread know more about the Johnson situation than I clearly do. Why has it moved into talks of suicide and depression etc?

Is this just complete and utter guesswork as to what he could be going through? Seems a bit intense to be now suggesting Johnson is a suicide worry...??

This is in no way meant to belittle the situation, or indeed make light of the issue, or the issue of suicide.

Just wondering why the thread has taken the turn, and perhaps I have missed a couple of pages?

strongbowholic said:
mancity1 said:
moomba said:

That's very true.

However, the public love nothing more than a juicy, salacious, sensation, soar-away scoop that shows the rich and famous in meltdown to make them feel much better about their own sad, drab, empty and lonely existence.

Very true and the media know that and feed off the lowest common denominator.

Does it have to be that way?

dancity19 said:
Plain Speaking said:
mancity1 said:

Awful. Really is horrible.

However, do people on this thread know more about the Johnson situation than I clearly do. Why has it moved into talks of suicide and depression etc?

Is this just complete and utter guesswork as to what he could be going through? Seems a bit intense to be now suggesting Johnson is a suicide worry...??

This is in no way meant to belittle the situation, or indeed make light of the issue, or the issue of suicide.

Just wondering why the thread has taken the turn, and perhaps I have missed a couple of pages?
I'm saying the club has a duty to support him. It's an indication the club are not providing sufficient support when he is so obviously obese.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.