Mike Dean

There were some odd decisions with some good tackles by both sides that were blown up for fouls, which I thought strange. Some advantages worked and some didn't. A couple of players on either side could have been booked but weren't....it was just a weird performance from Dean all round to be honest. Decisions for both sides had me scratching my head.

I'd like to see the Zinchenko incident again for the corner that brought their goal. First impression 'live' I just said it's a foul....looking at the replay last night from a different angle maybe the Villa player (was it Young??) was clever and rammed his shoulder into Zinch, dunno....very marginal. That said, fuck me we should be defending the corner better, no excuse on that once the corner is given. But the pen claim for Jesus wasn't a pen (IMO) and neither was the pen claim on the Villa player. I think both decisions were correct. If Gerrard thinks they should have had a pen then he really is clutching at straws.

But for all we are calling Dean a c*nt and VAR is rigged etc etc, that penalty claim on the Villa player was a perfect moment when ref and VAR could have fucked us over. If Dean had called it a pen - and it would have been easy to give it given how close Ake got - I doubt VAR would have overturned it as a 'clear and obvious error'. But he didn't give it, so at least I give him some credit for that.
The pen claim for Villa as you say wasn't a pen but still not correct as he gave a corner but once again should have been a goal kick.

There were some odd decisions with some good tackles by both sides that were blown up for fouls, which I thought strange. Some advantages worked and some didn't. A couple of players on either side could have been booked but weren't....it was just a weird performance from Dean all round to be honest. Decisions for both sides had me scratching my head.

I'd like to see the Zinchenko incident again for the corner that brought their goal. First impression 'live' I just said it's a foul....looking at the replay last night from a different angle maybe the Villa player (was it Young??) was clever and rammed his shoulder into Zinch, dunno....very marginal. That said, fuck me we should be defending the corner better, no excuse on that once the corner is given. But the pen claim for Jesus wasn't a pen (IMO) and neither was the pen claim on the Villa player. I think both decisions were correct. If Gerrard thinks they should have had a pen then he really is clutching at straws.

But for all we are calling Dean a c*nt and VAR is rigged etc etc, that penalty claim on the Villa player was a perfect moment when ref and VAR could have fucked us over. If Dean had called it a pen - and it would have been easy to give it given how close Ake got - I doubt VAR would have overturned it as a 'clear and obvious error'. But he didn't give it, so at least I give him some credit for that.

Think that’s a pretty decent sum up mate. I’ve gone with incompetent because the decisions were a bit baffling at times for both sides, although I thought Villa probably got more decisions go their way, they’d probably disagree.

The pen claim for Villa as you say wasn't a pen but still not correct as he gave a corner but once again should have been a goal kick.
I agree 100% mate....but I would rather he gave a corner than a pen! Just a thought, but if Dean believed the Villa player touched the ball last - i.e. it's then a goal kick - would he have given a pen? Maybe he thought Ake had got the ball first, hence the decision for a corner, so it couldn't be a pen. Dunno....who knows.

I actually thought he got that one right. The Villa player was on the ground with the ball trapped between his legs. He was in no position to play it and no other player could get at it so stopping the game before anybody was hurt was sensible. Clearly not obstruction, where you’re stopping an opponent reaching the ball when it’s not within your reach..
You are missing the point. Arguably it could have been an indirect free kick to us as Dean could have concluded that the Villa player was playing in a dangerous manner. According to the laws playing in a dangerous manner is any action that, while trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone (including the player themself) and includes preventing a nearby opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury. Even if that wasn't the case contested drop balls isn't a thing anymore so it was either a drop ball to us or Villa. Bear in mind that for a drop ball all players of either side, other than the designated player, must be 4 metres away from the ball until it touches the ground. Quite clearly Dean made yet another balls up but what will be done about it? Nothing I suspect and he will be rewarded with a game at the weekend.

And while I am on a rant about refs here is the law about keepers that no ref including Dean again last night continue to ignore:

An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:
  • controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it

For me, Andre Marriner is the worst of a very poor bunch of fanboy biased referees - he did more pressing and disrupting of our play in the Palace game, than they did
Everytime we have him he does the same, he always finds himself in our passing channels, the amount of time we have to pause or take another option is incredible really. I hope our coaching staff take it up with him

I’ve never really got the logic of that argument tbh. We keep the ball for long periods of time and teams tend to sit off us. When we lose it, which tends to be in the final third, we aggressively press and either win the ball back quickly or give a foul away trying to get it back (which isn’t particularly a bad thing either).

Dean was rubbish tonight as he was inconsistent. Possession stats don’t necessarily mean anything in regard to it though. It was 12 to 8 on the foul count, the real foul count wouldn’t have been far off level.
I take your point but there is almost always a correlation between amount of possession and fouls conceded in prem games. I was there last night and from my (slightly biased view) it appeared that every time we lost the ball he gave a foul against us for even attempting to win it back. There was a clear inconsistency and Villa players needed to almost commit GBH to have a foul given against them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.