Milner [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bart said:
Villa%20Park%206.jpg

and?

so your Billionaire owner who is a yank and a billionaire and a yank and a billionaire and a yank..is really a local lad from Birmingham who got the club for free and has spent no money at all .

Hypocrisy of the highest order !!

See your point, and I don't like the way we throw money around either. It's not the amount you're spending that's my issue, it's the concept that people can spend what they want. Obviously the wealthiest sides will outspend others, but it's this system that has to be changed. If caps was introduced, and clubs had to focus more on homegrown talent it would be for the better IMO.

Here a flavour of what some Villa fans are saying about the speculation surrounding the James Milner situation.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.villatalk.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=61243&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=4320" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.villatalk.com/index.php?name ... start=4320</a>

Bart said:
Real was basically saved by the goverment though, so it kinda showed it wasn't sustainable.
Chelsea is a tricky one. But they set it off so they would obviously be given the chance. No doubt you as well will be given a go as well, but everyone knows its just a matter of time before more clubs are bought by filthy rich people. And the English game will suffer. Football clubs throughout the nation with loads of history wont be capable of competing, and its happening right now. French, Italian and German clubs will find it even harder. And looking at Barcelona they are in the shit themselves atm. Do you really think UEFA will let this system go on for the next 20 years? I just cant see it at all. The French will do everything they can to limit the pulling power of the English league, and Im kinda glad for it.
What made football so great was watching academy kids coming through. Lads from your own area. Not watching world 11 fighting world 11. And this is where I could point out why the English national side is so shit, and why the Spanish, German and French are far better, but thats another debate.

Thats what football is all about though. There are plenty of clubs with shit loads of history and tradition who haven't achieved for years, with City being the shining example. Look at Newcastle, Spurs, even Nottingham Forrest and clubs like Sheff Weds. This has all happened whilst united and arsenal have dominated football in this country but that never seems to have been a problem. Football success comes in waves and phases, every club goes through the shit times and the good times. Now its our turn and I don't care how it happens!

flb said:
Giles said:
Third top assists last season, just behind Fabregas.

If he was called Milninho or Van Milner or even Millotelli he would be accepted

;-)

Tell me about it, it's astonishing. I'm pretty sure the same people who didn't want Bellers are the same that don't want Milner. Not a lot of football knowledge swilling around their noggins.

He's creative, versatile and scores the odd goal - what's not to like? (Apart from his square Max Headroom head). And he's a proven premier league game-changer. They're not ten-a-penny.

Bart said:
so your Billionaire owner who is a yank and a billionaire and a yank and a billionaire and a yank..is really a local lad from Birmingham who got the club for free and has spent no money at all .

See your point, and I don't like the way we throw money around either. It's not the amount you're spending that's my issue, it's the concept that people can spend what they want. Obviously the wealthiest sides will outspend others, but it's this system that has to be changed. If caps was introduced, and clubs had to focus more on homegrown talent it would be for the better IMO.

if people have the money why can't they spend what they want
the bigger clubs have always have more money
e.g you have more money than walsall

Bart said:

thing about it is though mate we can spend what we want!!!! but to be honest we dont go flashing the cash to show off its the media that make our finances a circus!!!! if we want a player dont forget its the selling club that makes the prices obscene these days!! every player we have bought we have paid over the odds for besides aj so to counter your arguement havent we helped other clubs??

richards30 said:
every player we have bought we have paid over the odds for besides aj so to counter your arguement havent we helped other clubs??

This is a good point too. Bart, because of Milner's great performances last season, it was likely that a top four club (United, Liverpool and Chelsea have all been mooted in the past) would make enquiries, he would have his head turned, etc, etc. At least with the 'City Premium', you'll be getting about £5m - £7m more for him.

That's in the short term, obviously. Longer-term, I completely share your enthusiasm for the proposed wage caps. I don't think it goes far enough, though. It just means that clubs can't spend more than they earn - the top five or six will still earn (and thus spend) more than everyone else, but no-one will be able to take a gamble, borrow some money and push for top four.

Villa Park is a great place and a classic example of how to upgrade an old ground, even if a new place is really the better option. Compare that with a dump like the shithole Everton play in and you can see a right way and a wrong way of moving forward, alittle like the two clubs.

Am I the only one who thinks it looks quite nice? Never been to Villa Park, but now I long to visit. That picture seems to commandeer my every thought.

On the subject of 'We're ruining football' (again) -

Bart, surely you can see how hard it is to break the top four? It's only been achieved twice in recent seasons, and the reason for that is the financial Catch 22 - you can't buy the best players and make top four without the CL money, and you can't have the CL money until you make top four.

Sad to say, a rich benefactor was the only way that the top four was going to be broken up, and it will be a better league for it.

Incidentally, Bart, if you're still here, where would you like the Milner money spent? I'm not sure Villa fans would be super-chuffed with Parker, but there's certainly a need for another central midfielder (if, indeed, Milner eventually goes).

Yeah I have no problems with somebody breaking into the top 4, and you won't find stronger hatred in any club then Villa I reckon when it comes to the monopoly of CL money. I just feel the sport, football as a whole, people,fans, national sides, everyone would benefit from a new system. Football was once a sport for the working class, something you could identify with and spend a life time cheering on. Now it's all gotten rotten IMO. Don't get me wrong, I don't buy the shit about United "earning" their way to spending the money they have spent. United spent fucking truck loads of money on wages and players even in the years they weren't successful. It's always had this problem were rich clubs outspend others, but now it's gotten to the stage where maybe something can be done with it. And I honestly fear for the very essence of football if things aren't changed. Lee Hendrie, if anyone actually remember him, epitomise what the game should be about and what I really hate about it. Everything in one 1.70 orange package. He was an overpaid shit, without manners or any idea how real life is. A little prick basically living the life of kings cause he could kick football. Throwing drinks at fans, spitting, acting up everything you can imagine. Yet on the football pitch he showed a joy of an 8 year old when scoring. He really was one of us right then, and the joy he showed is something I haven't seen in anybody except Gazza and Mellberg. Guess I got a bit sidetracked here, but really hope you see where Im coming from.

As for replacements for Milner, well I don't know tbh. It's a shame to lose Jimmy, not because he's such a great footballer, but more because I like him as a character. Honest footballers are hard to come by these days. I've seen links to Parker, Flamini, Witsel and some guy from Anderlect, but I don't know. Flamini would be ace, but can't see him coming to us.<br /><br />-- Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:17 am --<br /><br />
thing about it is though mate we can spend what we want!!!! but to be honest we dont go flashing the cash to show off its the media that make our finances a circus!!!! if we want a player dont forget its the selling club that makes the prices obscene these days!! every player we have bought we have paid over the odds for besides aj so to counter your arguement havent we helped other clubs??

Exactly! That's why something needs to be done. It shouldn't be possible now to spend what you want on transfers, or hand out the wages you want. Not only from a competetive view, not only for talking morale, but for the very essence of football. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.