Milner [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bart said:
Exactly! That's why something needs to be done. It shouldn't be possible now to spend what you want on transfers, or hand out the wages you want. Not only from a competetive view, not only for talking morale, but for the very essence of football. IMO.

They tried Communism, mate. Nice idea in theory but it didn't work.

i like the idea of capping money in football, but because of its media evolution into the top sport in the world imo, itl never happen.
look at the nba, the nfl, mlb, they al pay ridiculous amounts of money to their players in wages, and it wont stop with football, because nobody in fifa, the fa, in football world wide has the bottle to stand up for the game, because of all the money sponsors pump into it

Giles said:
Bart said:
Exactly! That's why something needs to be done. It shouldn't be possible now to spend what you want on transfers, or hand out the wages you want. Not only from a competetive view, not only for talking morale, but for the very essence of football. IMO.

I tell you what, if Andy Burnham still wielded any power in the world of sport he would have eventually come up with a system that meant everyone had the same amount of money to spend just so his beloved Everton could 'compete'. But that's another story.....

Giles said:
Bart said:

A more suitable comparison would be the competition act.

Giles said:
Bart said:

Yeah, but in the US, where they totally don't dig Communism, they're obsessed with parity in their sports. Last place in the league gets first pick of the next season's college draft, they have wage caps and so on. It's geared to making the game competitive, and thus exciting to watch.

Look at Rangers and Celtic, where financial dominance has continued towards it's natural conclusion - is that an attractive model?

It's tricky, because without the wealth we wouldn't be able to compete with the top four. But that's the system's fault, not ours.

I'm actually a bit ignorant with regard to the proposed new regulations, can anyone here clarify the gist of it? Is it simply that no club can spend more than it earns? And does this include the servicing of debt?

dref619 said:
i like the idea of capping money in football, but because of its media evolution into the top sport in the world imo, itl never happen.
look at the nba, the nfl, mlb, they al pay ridiculous amounts of money to their players in wages, and it wont stop with football, because nobody in fifa, the fa, in football world wide has the bottle to stand up for the game, because of all the money sponsors pump into it

I can't understand why everyone always throws the NFL, NHL, NBA and MLB as examples of how salary caps work etc, It is not applicable to football, simply because all the organisations that are suggested are closed networks within the US (and okay Canada) The simple premise being that all the money is shared between the 30 or so teams that feature within the league/ organisation.

Football could never do this due to the fact that it is WORLDWIDE, yes there is a governing body in Fifa but that is as far as it goes. To even think of trying to implement this would be carnage, what figure would you try and cap it at? the legal implications would work and it would dilute the quality of leagues around the world

Bart said:
Giles said:

A more suitable comparison would be the competition act.

The EU is based upon the principle of free movement of people and capital. Any moves to restrict such movement would be unconstitutional. Football evolves - not always for the best, admittedly - and some people will not like the direction in which it evolves. That's tough, I'm afraid.
You can't turn back time.<br /><br />-- Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:45 pm --<br /><br />
ST Coleridge said:
Giles said:

Yeah, but in the US, where they totally don't dig Communism, they're obsessed with parity in their sports. Last place in the league gets first pick of the next season's college draft, they have wage caps and so on. It's geared to making the game competitive, and thus exciting to watch.

Look at Rangers and Celtic, where financial dominance has continued towards it's natural conclusion - is that an attractive model?

It's tricky, because without the wealth we wouldn't be able to compete with the top four. But that's the system's fault, not ours.

I'm actually a bit ignorant with regard to the proposed new regulations, can anyone here clarify the gist of it? Is it simply that no club can spend more than it earns? And does this include the servicing of debt?

As BB said, the American model is not applicable worldwide.
As for the regulations I recommend this blog - it's very good. Scroll down a way and there's an excellent analysis of what the new regs mean for City - it seems to be quite good news.

<a class="postlink" href="http://swissramble.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://swissramble.blogspot.com/</a>

Giles said:
As BB said, the American model is not applicable worldwide.
As for the regulations I recommend this blog - it's very good. Scroll down a way and there's an excellent analysis of what the new regs mean for City - it seems to be quite good news.

<a class="postlink" href="http://swissramble.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://swissramble.blogspot.com/</a>

Cheers for the link!

And yeah, I realise that a worldwide salary cap isn't viable. But the Communism thing led me to America, and I have to admit that the enforced parity is something that appeals to me, personally.

In lieu of the college system, I think that England could really benefit from a few FA-run Centres of Excellence, sort of independent academies. I know that Clairefontaine was held aloft as 'the way forward' following France's success at the turn of the century, and that Brooking constantly refers to the need for such an institution. It would also benefit the national team, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.