Milner [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
macmanson said:
big blueballs said:
you really do not get what milner is about obviously, you are trying to pigeon hole him as one thing or another and that just is not what milner is about
as has been pointed out on here by marvin he is a totally different type of midfield player to what we have now, he offers you options all over the pitch, in other words he is as effective in our box as he is in the oppositions, he is affective wide left or right, he can track back, he wins tackles, he delivers a good ball, he digs in when the chips are down, he scores and creates goals, he can defend do i need to go on

ireland on the other hand is an attacking midfield player and on his day is a decent one at that, but he is limited on the defensive side of his game and in wide areas of the pitch to the point where he becomes lost and ineffective, so to try to compare milner and ireland is way off, granted they maybe similar in build but thats where the comparisons end for me

the only thing i will agree with you about is milner maybe overpriced, but that is not our fault, villa own him at the moment they want £30mill for him and really don't want to sell, he is english and the right side of 25 all this adds to the valuation and there is nothing we can do about that
if mancini wants him and i can understand why he does it is up to him, cooke or marwood to get the best deal for the club which i am sure they will

So, he's an english born Zabaletta with some scoring touch? :) Kidding aside, I wouldn't mind having him in our squad. I don't think he's a replacement for Ireland, even though that's who I have been comparing him to. I think he would have complemented our side last year far more than he will this year.

My beef with him is not that Villa see his valuation as 30m but that some City fans believe he's worth 30m while they believe Ireland is only worth 5-10m when the end results they've produced are roughly the same. For me, he's a 10m dollar player with a %50 mark-up for being english. Villa bought an 8m dollar player with a 4m markup when they got him for 12m. We shouldn't be paying more than 15-18m (10+5 or 12+6) at the absolute tops. Villa can consider themselves the selling club all they want. We don't need Milner and they'd be stuck with an unsettled player if they don't sell, which in my mind puts us in the bargaining position not them.

not sure i have seen any blue say milner is worth the 30 million??absolute tops 20 million at most but if we pay 25 then we have been mugged but that is up to the club and how much mancini wants him in the squad!

but Ireland on current form is only worth no more than 10 million!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6282711,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 11,00.html</a>

O'Neill waits for Milner bid
Villa boss unsure if club will receive improved offer for Milner

Martin O'Neill has confirmed Manchester City are not currently prepared to match Aston Villa's valuation of James Milner.

City are keen to bring Milner to Eastlands before the start of the new season and had an offer rejected by Villa at the end of the last campaign.

The England international has subsequently informed Villa that he would like to leave and O'Neill is prepared to sanction his exit for the right price.

Reports claim Villa want £30million for the 24-year-old and O'Neill is waiting to see if City are willing to meet the asking price.

"At this moment, in terms of where we are with James, we don't really know," said O'Neill.

"The negotiations between Manchester City and ourselves are being conducted by our chief executive and owner and I'll be guided by them.

"The latest stage of play seems to be Man City feel as if they have gone as far as they want to, but we will wait with baited breath on that one."

Barry comparison
Milner was left out of the friendly against Walsall on Tuesday night and the situation is similar to two years ago when Gareth Barry wanted to leave Villa to join Liverpool.

O'Neill believes the supporters want Milner to stay at Villa Park this season and remains confident the midfielder will give his all for the club if a move to City fails to materialise.

He added: "I think obviously the overriding opinion of all Villa fans is that they would love James to stay at the football club.

"But as I speak here now at this minute, my honest opinion, I cannot guarantee that but we will see.

"We had a situation a couple of seasons ago with Gareth and, of course, it doesn't help preparations, but that's the way it is now.

"If you can draw a comparison to Gareth, if the deal doesn't go through of course you feel a bit of a loss, but at the end of it Gareth settled down to play brilliantly for us in that final year and deserved his move to Manchester City as much as anybody after the years he had served."<br /><br />-- Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:56 am --<br /><br /><a class="postlink" href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/8862366.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 862366.stm</a>

Manchester City & Aston Villa in James Milner stalemate

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has said Manchester City are not prepared to meet the Midlands club's valuation for midfielder James Milner.

In May, City had a £20m-bid rejected for Milner, 24, who held "amicable" talks with O'Neill on Monday after earlier indicating he wanted to leave.

"The latest state of play is that Manchester City have gone as far as they want to," said O'Neill.

"We'll wait with baited breath on that one, myself included."

Reports have suggested City are unwilling to pay more than £24m for the England international, with Villa believed to be holding out for £30m for a player who cost them £12m from Newcastle United in August 2008.

"I think the owner puts a price on players. Of course, he will have an idea on the price," explained O'Neill.

"Negotiations are being conducted by the Villa chief executive [Paul Faulkner] and the owner and I will be guided by them."

Milner returned to full training with Villa on Monday after being granted an extended summer break following his involvement in the World Cup with England, where he played in three of his country's four matches.

He did not take part in Villa's 2-1 friendly win over Walsall on Tuesday but is set to fly out to Portugal with the squad on Wednesday for the Guadiana Cup, featuring Benfica and Feyenoord.

The transfer window closes at the end of August and if Milner does remain at Villa Park, O'Neill is sure the player's professionalism will shine through.

"There is no question that James Milner will continue to give his best if the deal doesn't go through," added O'Neill.

"James loves playing and last season played when others wouldn't.

"That is why I have no concern in regard to his character and involvement with Villa."

The ongoing transfer saga echoes that which resulted in Gareth Barry eventually swapping Villa Park for Eastlands in June 2009 in a £12m deal.

Manchester City have splashed out more than £80m this summer already, prompting many to tip Roberto Mancini's outfit for a Premier League title challenge this season.

Not sure if im repeating what others have said BUT DO NOT SIGN THIS GUY!
Yes he is good, and Yes I would love him in the team
BUT it seems that every other club in the prem is waiting on us to splash the cash and the merry go round begins
If we are to believe what people are saying then, Villa and Spurs will strengthen massively from this singing-two teams who will be giving us hard games next season
Why should we do this???
Its been brilliant this transfer window so far as we are buying all the players whilst other clubs jealously sit and watch and hope we come a knocking
How ironic was it that Martin O Neil came out and said Milner wants to go in his little boy lost interview, just after we said that we were interested in Donovan???
Milners come out and said categorically it aint so-he hasn’t said these things, he’s blatantly just trying to pimp the guy out so he can buy three more players with our money
We gifted Everton 25mil last season and all it did was get their backs up and rob us of a valuable 6 points, they got a couple of decent players out of that cash too and again they are going to be hard to beat
So come on city, keep buying abroad and watch the other prem teams scrabble in the dirt for scraps
And hes not worth anywhere near 25 mil no matter what universe you live him
Fook him off and go for another young foreign lad if we really need someone in this position

Go to agree with that. There's no money in the Prem unless we buy Milner/Torres. Almost worth not spending at home so that our rival can't strengthen.

Judging by what O'Neill has said today looks like he is playing it safe, isn't ruling out the sale of Milner but also explores the general reaction if a move did fail to materialise, personally I still feel getting Milner in will be a good addition to the squad but do feel behind the scene James needs to apply some pressure to get the move sorted as Villa have shown before they will stick to their guns in terms of keeping a key player at their club.

City offer £18 million Villa say we want £30 million

City offer £22 million Villa say we want £30 million

City offer £24 million Villa say we want £30 million

Beyond ridiculous. I hope that's our final bid. I don't expect Villa to move from £30 million. £24 million has to be absolute maximum. Please don't up it again City. Ozil is going for £15 million FFS.

It's fair enough; Milner is Villa's best player and they don't want to sell unless it's an outrageous offer...so we move on....surely?

To be fair Villa know we're loaded, he had a great season for them last year and there bound to ask for stupid money, it's just what we did for SWP to Chelsea.

City now need to show we are clocked in and walk away from the deal, it would show when we put a price on a player we stick to THAT price like all the top clubs do. Besides, we have Stephen Ireland who imo is a much better technical player.

I like this new stance City seem to have taken under Mancini in regards to transfers, we set a price of £25m for Yaya Toure, got him for £24m, went in nice and early for David Silva, got him for £25m, got Jerome Boateng for £10.5m and told Lazio to stop fucking about and signed Kolarov for £15.9m. We also now seem to be playing hard ball with Inter over Balotelli which is great considering he's only 19.

In all we seem much smarter and harder in the transfer market this summer.

I think Villa may be about to sign David Bentley, which should clear the way for the Milner deal to finally go ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.