Milner [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
DontLookBackInAnger said:
It doesn't really matter who you score against, the bottom-line is most players will have a better record against the weaker teams. Losting away to Hull is just the same as losing away to the rags, in terms of league points.
agree in principal about the points mate but dont agree that its just the same!! if it was old city then yeah maybe but when we have the squad that we did alot of the results just werent good enough!! milner is a superb footballer but hes also a grafter and if the going gets tough and physical you can guarantee he will stand up and be counted!!!!

It doesn't really matter who you score against, the bottom-line is most players will have a better record against the weaker teams. Losting away to Hull is just the same as losing away to the rags, in terms of league points.
It depends on who the teams in competition with, if you're in danger of relegation it's more important to beat teams near the bottom, so you prevent them getting points, etc...

macmanson said:
Marvin said:
WTF have their weights got to do with it, or their goal ratios?

Because we have already determined that he isn't coming to be a defensive midfielder, so his only worth to us is his attacking prowess, which is shown to be vastly overrated. He's scored most of his goals and assists against lower table teams. How he achieve's the goals and assists is not as relevant to simply achieving them. If I have 2 players who can guarantee me 10 goals each per season, playing different styles, I would be a fool to pay 3 times more for one of them. That's my argument. Milner is a useful squad player to us, not a 30m pound starter that Aston Villa are valuing him at. We can can get equal or better for far less.
you really do not get what milner is about obviously, you are trying to pigeon hole him as one thing or another and that just is not what milner is about
as has been pointed out on here by marvin he is a totally different type of midfield player to what we have now, he offers you options all over the pitch, in other words he is as effective in our box as he is in the oppositions, he is affective wide left or right, he can track back, he wins tackles, he delivers a good ball, he digs in when the chips are down, he scores and creates goals, he can defend do i need to go on

ireland on the other hand is an attacking midfield player and on his day is a decent one at that, but he is limited on the defensive side of his game and in wide areas of the pitch to the point where he becomes lost and ineffective, so to try to compare milner and ireland is way off, granted they maybe similar in build but thats where the comparisons end for me

the only thing i will agree with you about is milner maybe overpriced, but that is not our fault, villa own him at the moment they want £30mill for him and really don't want to sell, he is english and the right side of 25 all this adds to the valuation and there is nothing we can do about that
if mancini wants him and i can understand why he does it is up to him, cooke or marwood to get the best deal for the club which i am sure they will

keemcfc said:
It depends on who the teams in competition with, if you're in danger of relegation it's more important to beat teams near the bottom, so you prevent them getting points, etc...
Thats true but I recall a year when I think Leeds one the title and they didn't beat any of the top 5 home or away. However, you point about denying teams around you points is a good one.

big blueballs said:
macmanson said:
Because we have already determined that he isn't coming to be a defensive midfielder, so his only worth to us is his attacking prowess, which is shown to be vastly overrated. He's scored most of his goals and assists against lower table teams. How he achieve's the goals and assists is not as relevant to simply achieving them. If I have 2 players who can guarantee me 10 goals each per season, playing different styles, I would be a fool to pay 3 times more for one of them. That's my argument. Milner is a useful squad player to us, not a 30m pound starter that Aston Villa are valuing him at. We can can get equal or better for far less.
you really do not get what milner is about obviously, you are trying to pigeon hole him as one thing or another and that just is not what milner is about
as has been pointed out on here by marvin he is a totally different type of midfield player to what we have now, he offers you options all over the pitch, in other words he is as effective in our box as he is in the oppositions, he is affective wide left or right, he can track back, he wins tackles, he delivers a good ball, he digs in when the chips are down, he scores and creates goals, he can defend do i need to go on

ireland on the other hand is an attacking midfield player and on his day is a decent one at that, but he is limited on the defensive side of his game and in wide areas of the pitch to the point where he becomes lost and ineffective, so to try to compare milner and ireland is way off, granted they maybe similar in build but thats where the comparisons end for me

the only thing i will agree with you about is milner maybe overpriced, but that is not our fault, villa own him at the moment they want £30mill for him and really don't want to sell, he is english and the right side of 25 all this adds to the valuation and there is nothing we can do about that
if mancini wants him and i can understand why he does it is up to him, cooke or marwood to get the best deal for the club which i am sure they will

So, he's an english born Zabaletta with some scoring touch? :) Kidding aside, I wouldn't mind having him in our squad. I don't think he's a replacement for Ireland, even though that's who I have been comparing him to. I think he would have complemented our side last year far more than he will this year.

My beef with him is not that Villa see his valuation as 30m but that some City fans believe he's worth 30m while they believe Ireland is only worth 5-10m when the end results they've produced are roughly the same. For me, he's a 10m dollar player with a %50 mark-up for being english. Villa bought an 8m dollar player with a 4m markup when they got him for 12m. We shouldn't be paying more than 15-18m (10+5 or 12+6) at the absolute tops. Villa can consider themselves the selling club all they want. We don't need Milner and they'd be stuck with an unsettled player if they don't sell, which in my mind puts us in the bargaining position not them.

big blueballs said:
macmanson said:

Agree with you 100% on this. I actually think he'll be most effective for us wide right, regardless of what O'Neil did with him last year. When at Newcastle he was first class in that role, and as i've posted before, whoever we have at right - back will be very pleased to see a player with his energy and skill levels in front of him. I see Milner and Johnson as our main wide midfielders, with Silva and maybe Bellers as the other 2, but obviously DS may play more centrally. Crossing and ball retention much better than SWP.

samharris said:
leewill31 said:
without you knowing it you have hit the nail on the head with that last sentence,we aint buying him to excite us,we have other players to do that.

we have the flair players now but we also need the grafters..

spot on m8.

i thought this topic was about milner?

i can see milner becoming a gerrard type player

he will never be as good as gerrard, but similar style.

would be a fantastic signing, him and balotelli and we wont have to make a signing for years to come, as all of our players are so young...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.