Missing the Pearce days

che_don_john said:
And to think that he has been touted as a future England manager!

Met the guy once, along with some other players and staff, after a Div 1 home game against Palace (my Dad's company had done some sponsoring thing). Miserable tosser, he was. Very rude, face like a smacked arse (stark contrast to the likes of Keegan, Horlock and Goater, who were great).

Sacking him was one of the best decision our club has made (which was quite brave considering his popularity in the media at the time).

mcfc_ms said:
Still, how exciting was the season after with Sven?!
For the first half, yeah! I think people forget how bad we were in the second half of that season, once the honeymoon period had worn off and the likes of Bianchi seemed to disappear. Relegation form masked by our brilliant first half of the season.

We were never good enough to finish higher than midtable anyway. We did have some good results against the rags and spuds but dropped points against the likes of Reading and Derby which was shocking for our standard that year. I'll still never get my head around that 8-1 against Boro and i sometimes wake up sweating thinking about it.

Just done some quick stats on that season,we averaged a goal every 3 hours (2 games) and we are now averaging a goal just less than every 24 minutes,this season.Huge difference.For the record,we had 4 home goalscorers that season,in Barton,Samaras,Dunne and Corradi,how times have changed.City went 780 minutes without scoring a home goal until Michael Johnson netted against Derby the following August,227 days later.
When Samir Nasri volleyed home against the Rags in September,that 10th goal in 230 minutes this season equalled the total for 2006/7 season,when 1710 minutes were played !.

The band James saved me from not renewing my season ticket.

We played Aston Villa in the second to last home game of the 06-07 season. Alan Ball had just died and there was a tribute to him at the game. My dad, a lifelong blue and the reason that my family support City had gone upstairs 12 months earlier and it all caught up with me.
We were absolutely shite, Samaras couldn't hit a barn door but Villa couldn't cope with the silky skills of Darius Vassell, who only seemed to play well against his former club. They brought him down, penalty! An opportunity for Barton to score our first home goal of the year. What does he do, skys it over the bar. Villa went on to win 0-2. It was an emotional day because I was thinking about my dad. I left early (for once) 'cos I was going into town to watch James and me and my mate wanted to make sure that we caught one of the match buses into town. As I sat near one of the roof support anchors waiting for my mate to come down his spiral ramp I thought about all the pain and suffering that the blues had caused me, how this seemed worse than before because we'd pulled ourselves out of the shite that we got ourselves in by chasing Swales's dream in the late 70's resulting in us being strapped for cash in the 80's and 90's. We had a new home, we just needed a decent team to play in it. These players weren't even trying, Pearce was trying to get them to keep clean sheets and nick one, whereas before we'd gone down by being shite, but at least giving it a lash. I was gutted, my love for the club had died. I felt that City had betrayed me once too often and thought 'how the hell do I get a divorce from this club'?

So off we went to watch James, a great gig, and I was much happier at the end of the night, deep in the knowledge that a win against the rags the next week could at least salvage something from the season. We lost, we lost to Spurs last game too, but rumours of investment surrounded the club. Shinawatra bought the club and we signed Sven. A new hope had begun and I renewed.

Roll on 6 and a half years, the love for my beloved City knows no bounds, she is my love, my pride, my joy. I talk to my friends about her incessantly and show her off to the world at every opportunity. I hope that we can live together in love and harmony until my dying day. Ahhh.

Do I miss the Pearce days and the man who nearly caused a divorce from my beloved club? Not in the slightest.

Must admit the team today is a bit inconvenient. It now means we have to turn up for kick off when we used to stay in the pub till half way through the first half. And we talk football which requires me to remember players names and shit like that.

Carver said:
The band James saved me from not renewing my season ticket.

We played Aston Villa in the second to last home game of the 06-07 season. Alan Ball had just died and there was a tribute to him at the game. My dad, a lifelong blue and the reason that my family support City had gone upstairs 12 months earlier and it all caught up with me.
We were absolutely shite, Samaras couldn't hit a barn door but Villa couldn't cope with the silky skills of Darius Vassell, who only seemed to play well against his former club. They brought him down, penalty! An opportunity for Barton to score our first home goal of the year. What does he do, skys it over the bar. Villa went on to win 0-2. It was an emotional day because I was thinking about my dad. I left early (for once) 'cos I was going into town to watch James and me and my mate wanted to make sure that we caught one of the match buses into town. As I sat near one of the roof support anchors waiting for my mate to come down his spiral ramp I thought about all the pain and suffering that the blues had caused me, how this seemed worse than before because we'd pulled ourselves out of the shite that we got ourselves in by chasing Swales's dream in the late 70's resulting in us being strapped for cash in the 80's and 90's. We had a new home, we just needed a decent team to play in it. These players weren't even trying, Pearce was trying to get them to keep clean sheets and nick one, whereas before we'd gone down by being shite, but at least giving it a lash. I was gutted, my love for the club had died. I felt that City had betrayed me once too often and thought 'how the hell do I get a divorce from this club'?

So off we went to watch James, a great gig, and I was much happier at the end of the night, deep in the knowledge that a win against the rags the next week could at least salvage something from the season. We lost, we lost to Spurs last game too, but rumours of investment surrounded the club. Shinawatra bought the club and we signed Sven. A new hope had begun and I renewed.

Roll on 6 and a half years, the love for my beloved City knows no bounds, she is my love, my pride, my joy. I talk to my friends about her incessantly and show her off to the world at every opportunity. I hope that we can live together in love and harmony until my dying day. Ahhh.

Do I miss the Pearce days and the man who nearly caused a divorce from my beloved club? Not in the slightest.

I was in a similar position regarding the season ticket. It had only ever occured to me not to renew in the past once, purely as a protest against Swales, but I still bought one in the end.

I renewed when we went down via David Pleat, I renewed when we plummeted into the third, but sat there in the brand new ground, watching that utter shite, 11 players who could barely pass the ball 3 times without losing it, all I could think was 'did I go through all those years, for THIS ?' After watching Ali Benarbia only a short time ago, we have AGAIN decided to go from an entertaining, passing side, to become total & complete crap.

I doubt I would have kept my ticket if Pearce had stayed.

moon said:
Vassell missing pen v rags after about 3 and a half months without a home league goal and they won one nil
Just added to the agony
Especially after Dickov had come on, galvanised the team, won the penalty and wanted to take it, only for Vassel to pretty much snatch the ball from him.

There haven't been many better away days in my City supporting life than Newcastle away towards the end of that season though. Mpenza scored late on and we went absolutely bananas. One of the best goal celebrations in the stands i can ever remember. I think we were pretty much safe after that goal - a very underrated goal in our history.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
mekonmcfc said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
So to put this in to context you missed half of our goals at home by missing 2 games

FML we were shit, how we were not relegated is amazing

it was the most boring season I can remember, my first game was '75' but that Pearce year took the biscuit

Unsurprisingly we hold the record still for least home goals. I dont think it will ever be bettered either

Or should that be 'worsened'?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.