Missing the Pearce days

After having to take a 5/6 season break due to cash and family commitments (been a season ticket holder from 70/71 with my dad and then on my own) I'd managed however to get my lad to the odd game over that period and managed as finances improved to get us both season cards for his full season. The previous season had ended as a proper City ending blowing it v Bro. Took my lad is into Dee's after that game. Nobody can party like City when we balls it up.

Unlike some of us my lad hadn't had the benefit of Halifax, Shrewsbury etc but he had a testing first season. He never wavered but it was shit that season.

He now goes to anything he can get to with working down south during the week
he's gutted to miss the odd midweek home game.

Do I or him miss the Stu days? Do we fuck but its part of what made us what we are.

I miss the days when season tickets were thrown on to the pitch, I never knew till then that throwing could be so interesting. City as usual took that joy away the day they switched to plastic.

moomba said:
The Pink Panther said:
I was reminiscing this morning over our ten goals at home season and the fact I missed four of them as I was on holiday for the Arsenal game (Barton pen) and the Fulham game (Barton and a Corradi brace)

Ha ha, was on holiday for Everton (2-1).
So was I and thereby missed 20% of our goals at home. Bloody good job I went to Boro, Newcastle, Watford & Spurs.

One thing that cost us in that era was the practice of each ballboy having a spare ball to throw in being banned.

It was something we used to pretty good effect. Then Moyes got it banned by picking and choosing when the spare balls were used depending on the score.

dobobobo said:
I miss the days when season tickets were thrown on to the pitch, I never knew till then that throwing could be so interesting. City as usual took that joy away the day they switched to plastic.
I threw mine on the pitch after Luton, bit of an empty gesture as it was the last game of the season, fuck you plastic cards, city yet again fuck my life up.

I'll never forget one of my Anfield visits watching one of Pearce's sides going for a point... we didn't even start to try and play until we were 1-0 down, and it was a joy to witness...

ah yes.. those were the days indeed

;o)

(and I had to suffer the 3-1 Boxing Day thumping we gave them back in 1981 when Big Joe got thumped by a bottle before we completed the afternoon with goals from the two Kevins & Asa Hartford)

dobobobo said:

Always liked the story that the club used to return those season tickets thrown on the pitch to the owners with a letter saying if we have to watch this rubbish so do you.

Like most blues above 40, whilst City has always been an enormous part of my life, my interest levels had ebbed and flowed throughout my life. Success has not been the most significant factor in this by any stretch. Some of my favourite years following City have been outside the top flight. I'd say with me the biggest factor as to my relative interest levels has been the opposite sex , with a bit of geography thrown in from time to time.

The latter part of the Stuart Pearce era marked an absolute low-point for me. It's why the following season under Sven, even though it was built on sand, was such a breath of fresh air and was when I got my City mojo back, never to look back, really.

I usually get over for three or four games a season, and I'm sure I was at the Fulham game that season (Corradi with 2?). I feel doubly privileged; I saw nearly a third of our home goals that season, AND I saw Corradi score. And even better, twice in the one game!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.