Monaco (a) pre-match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
PEP: The best way (to defend) is score goals. When one team scores that many goals and you think about just defending, you kill yourself.

PEP: The idea is to try and attack. We scored five goals when it’s not easy to score against them.

I'm scared lol

Monaco averaging almost 3 goals a game this far into a season is scary. Fully expect we will need to score 2 or more as can see them getting a handful themselves, especially the way Pep is talking!

Have to play as if we are already behind and hunt for goals from the off. Pep's comments aren't sugar coated by any means, but if you want evidence of trying to play a defensive game against a free scoring side look no further than PSG-Barca.

Ideally we'll look to disrupt their 4-4-2 and make them run a lot more, as in the first leg, so they tire easily. An early goal for either side will set the pace for the contest but, ultimately, we'll probably need at least two on the night anyway.

So pleased we got Yaya back, the best possession retainer I have ever seen for City, and I am old. Will be invaluable tomorrow

Fernandinho had a mare at LB, continually too far forward and made it easy to get behind us, Sagna when he moved over cut off that route to goal. He wasn't too much better as a RB either.
Saying Dihno had a mere is a matter of opinion. And the narrative that he didn't play well is often supported by the fact he was subbed.

However, saying he was "continually too far forward and made it easy it get behind us" is factually untrue. By and large the full back who got leaked behind was Sagna, not Dihno. Most of their attacks down the flank came from Lemar and and the LB.

True Silva often drifted inside but whoever drifted outside, often Sidibe, got no play on the right. One bad play in which Dihno actually made the tackle but the ball bounced back of his shin to spring Sidibe down the right, was the only attack of note due to Dihnos positioning.

His runs off Silva to put in crosses and his interplay on the invert, and his passing out of pressure were all 2ice as good as Sagna's on the right. Who kept going back to the keeper.

More breakdown and crosses came from the left flank (I.e our RB), more chances were created from their left flank and Sagna and Zab got beat more often in the box on their side than Dihno did on his.

Dihno had more tackles, more clearances more through balls, more passes in the offensive half, more long balls, and completed, fewer attacks down his side and fewer crosses from his side

I have done this rundown before but the narrative that he had "a mere" persists.

Did he have a good game? No. Did he have a mere? Compared to Sagna, Stones or Otamendi? Answer has to be no.

And the only reason he was pulled was because he was the fullback with a Yellow.

So yes, given the choices, Fernandihno on fact and not narrative, is the correct choice.

Last edited:
Fernandinho is to hit and miss in 1v1s to play left back. He's almost as rash as Otamendi but not as good tackler as Ota is. In both his game at LB he's been a defensive liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.