most powerful photos ever taken

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.worldpressphoto.org/50years/flash.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.worldpressphoto.org/50years/flash.html</a>

Loads here that i'd never seen before.

Lockerbie.

The Xmas of 1988 we were going to visit my sister who had moved upto Uddingston, Scotland. 2 days before we were due to go there was the Lockerbie plane crash, as the reports were coming through on the news (pre internet times) and my sisters house having a flight path above it we were frantically trying to contact her that night, but they were having issues with power cuts due to being on a new estate, this was crashing their new fangled home phone.
We managed to get through and all it well, So we set off as planned,

The drive us was fairly easy and somewhat dull, roads were quiet as people were preparing for Xmas, We enter Scotland, pass Gretna, Echlefechan and then the wildlife seemed to disappear, no birds in the sky, no farm livestock in the fields, we pass under a bridge and the whole feeling felt very eery, cold ...
The road is coned to 1 lane, the area feels empty, we pass under another bridge and an immediate change, suitcases, clothes, all kinds of baggage strewn againt the hedges, fences and embankments, firemen sat on the central reservation looking shattered, to the right was a smouldering crater with semi demolished houses in the background, the luggae from the plane was lining the roads perimiter, we pass under another bridge and the carnage ends, we travel another 3 or so miles and the wildlife returns.

For a good 10 minutes and 10 or so miles I have never experianced anything like that, a sudden sweep of cold eeryness flanked by otherwise normality, the whole area yet so busy with carnage felt empty, as did the faces of the rescue services trying to clear up the area.

<a class="postlink" href="http://cmgonline.com/images/stories/features/special_features/08_dash_for_a_dram/lockerbie_disaster_memorial.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cmgonline.com/images/stories/fea ... morial.jpg</a>

This picture I took myself 2 years ago

<a class="postlink" href="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/muatte/DSC00033.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/m ... C00033.jpg</a>

Big g, lockerbie is a place that will be forever with me. I was a 13 year old kid, travelling north with my mother and family friend, to take xmas presents for my neices in glasgow. I can only describe it as seeing a very bright firework, followed by the most surreal blanket of fire, hitting the ground. We were caught between jct 17 and 18 of the A74. we were stuck for 10 hours as the road was not clear behind us and there was a blue vauxhall chevette and a caravan in flames about 100 yards in front of us. My most vivid memory is a red haired young policeman being consoled by our coach driver, he had discovered a woman and a little girl still strapped to their seat and covered them with his jacket.

The most 'spooky' thing happened to me in 2008, when i was passing the town going to aberdeen for a family do, it came on the radio that it was the 20th anniversary to the day of the disaster. The funny thing is, i have passed that town hundreds of times since that night, going backwards and forwards, and i have never actually drove in.

mcfcliam said:
cyclops said:
Taken around 20 years later

15ft8bc.jpg

Let herself go.

glen quagmire said:
Big g, lockerbie is a place that will be forever with me. I was a 13 year old kid, travelling north with my mother and family friend, to take xmas presents for my neices in glasgow. I can only describe it as seeing a very bright firework, followed by the most surreal blanket of fire, hitting the ground. We were caught between jct 17 and 18 of the A74. we were stuck for 10 hours as the road was not clear behind us and there was a blue vauxhall chevette and a caravan in flames about 100 yards in front of us. My most vivid memory is a red haired young policeman being consoled by our coach driver, he had discovered a woman and a little girl still strapped to their seat and covered them with his jacket.

The most 'spooky' thing happened to me in 2008, when i was passing the town going to aberdeen for a family do, it came on the radio that it was the 20th anniversary to the day of the disaster. The funny thing is, i have passed that town hundreds of times since that night, going backwards and forwards, and i have never actually drove in.

So you saw the plane? That's chilling mate.

m27 said:
glen quagmire said:

Yes, before it 'flashed'. It was a clear sky and you could see the lights flashing on the wings.

glen quagmire said:
m27 said:

Yes, before it 'flashed'. It was a clear sky and you could see the lights flashing on the wings.

wow...unnerving, it's the biggest flaw in aviation though, people have to die for safety features to be enforced, even then they are often ignored because of financial costs.

Thousands of people die for our safety...makes you think, people just flying home or on business, and their killer still lives free for oil.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.