Most underrated and overrated cricketer

noely said:
Over rated Ashley Giles hows he involved in the england set up now??

Under rated got to be Glenn Chapple how he didnt pick up a rake of caps at one day and test level when as a nation at the time of his prime were pretty shite is beyond me

Reminds me of a Nat West Final Lancs v Essex. Conditions were that the ball was swinging all over the place. Ronnie Irani even moved the ball a little and took a couple of wickets. This was lauded by the old school tie commentators and watched by the MCC and selectors. By the time Lancs were bowling conditions were not so conducive yet a young Glen Chappell for 6 overs was absolutely unplayable and picked up 4 wickets I think. By this time of course the commentators were dismissing this as being down to the conditions and the MCC and selectors were pissed and had seen enough. The next week the test tour team is announced and includes one certain Ronnie Irani based on an average performance for a Home Counties side in a one day final! It was typical of the selection ethos at the time.

Well there's my overrated / underrated.

The Colonel said:
noely said:
Over rated Ashley Giles hows he involved in the england set up now??

Under rated got to be Glenn Chapple how he didnt pick up a rake of caps at one day and test level when as a nation at the time of his prime were pretty shite is beyond me

Reminds me of a Nat West Final Lancs v Essex. Conditions were that the ball was swinging all over the place. Ronnie Irani even moved the ball a little and took a couple of wickets. This was lauded by the old school tie commentators and watched by the MCC and selectors. By the time Lancs were bowling conditions were not so conducive yet a young Glen Chappell for 6 overs was absolutely unplayable and picked up 4 wickets I think. By this time of course the commentators were dismissing this as being down to the conditions and the MCC and selectors were pissed and had seen enough. The next week the test tour team is announced and includes one certain Ronnie Irani based on an average performance for a Home Counties side in a one day final! It was typical of the selection ethos at the time.

Well there's my overrated / underrated.

To be fair, Irani was picked as an all rounder. Even if he was a shit one.

As much as I love Chappel and his contribution to Lancs over many years, I'm afraid I can't agree with the general consensus amongst Lancastrians that he ever quite had enough to warrant a test place.

Am suprised no ones mentioned jaque kallis in their team to watch
Sunil gavasker,glen mcGrath,Garfield Sobers

And the daddy of them all

Bradman.

Over-rated got to be KP. His whole career seems to be defined by getting dropped by Warne and going on to manage one fantastic series winning innings in 2005 at the Oval. Yes he has scored a lot of runs, but then so did Hick and he is in no one's list of top batsmen. I just dont get all the arse licking.

Under-rated - Tom Moody. He was unfortunate to play in an era with Border, Waugh twins, Ponting etc so never got a proper run in Test cricket. If he had been English he'd be up to nearly 100 caps. A superb team player who helped crush Warwickshire's chance of winning all four trophies in 1994 in the Nat West final.

Tourist since 1971 said:
Over-rated got to be KP. His whole career seems to be defined by getting dropped by Warne and going on to manage one fantastic series winning innings in 2005 at the Oval. Yes he has scored a lot of runs, but then so did Hick and he is in no one's list of top batsmen. I just dont get all the arse licking.

Under-rated - Tom Moody. He was unfortunate to play in an era with Border, Waugh twins, Ponting etc so never got a proper run in Test cricket. If he had been English he'd be up to nearly 100 caps. A superb team player who helped crush Warwickshire's chance of winning all four trophies in 1994 in the Nat West final.

There's a few Aussies who have a similar story; Law, Lehman, Di Venuto and Bevan spring to mind.

The cookie monster said:
Am suprised no ones mentioned jaque kallis in their team to watch
Sunil gavasker,glen mcGrath,Garfield Sobers

And the daddy of them all

Bradman.

Kallis is a fine fine player, decent bowler and good slipper. However, he isnt the most exciting of batsmen, he is better than Freddie who i had in my selection, but it wasnt your best team but who you want to see play, i would rather see Flintoff bat and bowl than Kallis. McGrath again was a brilliant bowler, was very consistent, didnt produce magic like an Akram or Marshall, i didnt like him either, so wouldnt pay to watch McGrath at all. I didnt see Sobers or Bradman play sadly, i've seen snippets, but i've picked from what i have seen, not the history books and stats.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.