Most underrated player to play for city

From recent times, one of the most underrated for me is Gareth Barry. I honestly don't understand how some people didn't rate him. He wasn't perfect, wasn't the most nimble of players, but his positional sense was second to none, which gave him that advantage over those with more pace. Got caught out against the top bracket players, but who didn't? One of my favourites since the takeover. I'd take him over De Jong every time.

Also, a shout out to Bacary Sagna. Sadly we got him at the tail end of his career, when he had slowed down, but he was still in fantastic condition and very solid defensively.

Peter Dobing was very good in my opinion.

Very true, Old Blue. I remember (as you may) when City hosted the 1961 double-winning Spurs side the following season. We were 6-0 up with half an hour left, but eased up and Greaves scored two late goals to make it 6-2. Peter Dobing had scored a hat trick in that game.

You will remember the previous year when the Spurs started the season winning the first 11 or 12 games. We went down there expecting a thrashing but drew 1 each. Apart from stopping a record win sequence the thing I remember the most was Bert doing his usual diving at feet, missing the ball but grabbing a Spurs forward by both legs and would not let go. Thank goodness VAR was not in operation.

Peter Dobing was very good in my opinion.

Very good player was Peter. Saw him more than a few times in my first seasons watching City.

As an aside, his son Scott works at the Royal Stoke Hospital and treats Mrs Prague for her MS. A nice guy, and we chat constantly about Peter and the old days.

Very good player was Peter. Saw him more than a few times in my first seasons watching City.

As an aside, his son Scott works at the Royal Stoke Hospital and treats Mrs Prague for her MS. A nice guy, and we chat constantly about Peter and the old days.
He was not with us for long after arriving from Blackburn. He played at Wembley for them in the F.A cup final. They were tonked by Wolves after a Blackburn player broke his leg. His name escapes me! It never gets mentioned these days. :-)

From recent times, one of the most underrated for me is Gareth Barry. I honestly don't understand how some people didn't rate him. He wasn't perfect, wasn't the most nimble of players, but his positional sense was second to none, which gave him that advantage over those with more pace. Got caught out against the top bracket players, but who didn't? One of my favourites since the takeover. I'd take him over De Jong every time.

Also, a shout out to Bacary Sagna. Sadly we got him at the tail end of his career, when he had slowed down, but he was still in fantastic condition and very solid defensively.

The amount of times I've had to say to those that knock him (not City fans) that you really only truly appreciated Gareth Barry by seeing him play every week. Re: Sagna, I would have played him at centre-back more

Aha Alf Grey the Referee that night,penalised Kev for Illegally Jumping I remember it well

And that Daft John Bond Song too-i never joined in with that

Reeves was a very good player imo pity at times he seemed to get no help from the others
I can still remember the picture in one of the tabloids the next morning ..of Reeves..actual jump for the header with a Liverpool defender challenging..there are no illegal/akward arms.....not a shadow of a doubt in my mind,even as a teenager not present at the game.... something was badly wrong with that decision.
Always thought Kevin Reeves was a damn good header of a ball for a forward who wasnt that tall really.
Think he scored the penalty at Wembley v spurs in that replay......
One of the 1st Million Pound footballers,back in the day...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.