Mourinho or Mancini

Didsbury Dave said:
Damocles said:
Fair point, but those managers are in completely different positions and have starkly different theories on how to get the best out of players. I'm not sure what exactly you're criticising here?

Not a complex point. The fact that one of those manager's theories completely and obviously trumped the other last night.

Because they lost a game?

So by this logic, Mancini's theories have completely and obviously trumped Ferguson's theories? Mancini is a better manager than Ferguson?

When you take this point and think on it for a bit, it doesn't make sense which is what I was getting at. Your observation is good and I agree with the stark contrast but I'm not sure you can draw any particular conclusions from this, no more than if we would have won the game you couldn't draw any conclusions

Damocles said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Damocles said:
Fair point, but those managers are in completely different positions and have starkly different theories on how to get the best out of players. I'm not sure what exactly you're criticising here?

Not a complex point. The fact that one of those manager's theories completely and obviously trumped the other last night.

So by this logic, Mancini's theories have completely and obviously trumped Ferguson's theories? Mancini is a better manager than Ferguson?

When you take this point and think on it for a bit, it doesn't make sense which is what I was getting at. Your observation is good and I agree with the stark contrast but I'm not sure you can draw any particular conclusions from this, no more than if we would have won the game you couldn't draw any conclusions

We're not drawing conclusions based on one game. You are just saying we are because it suits your agenda. Just as saying "ooh look, there goes Billy calling everyone who disagrees with him dickheads and cunts" does.

Do yourself a favour a make up your mind whether you want to be that kind of poster, or one who is willing to converse on the wider problems with Mancini.

Didsbury Dave said:
OB1 said:
Last night was truly abysmal. I know Didsbury Dave commented much earlier in this thread on the contrast between Klopp and his team and City and it was a sickening comparison because it demonstrated how much better we should be. Another telling point was when they flashed up the distance covered at around 70 minutes and Dortmund had run a considerable distance further than City.

We have shown no progression this season, in fact, we have gone backwards.

I don't think we can get Jose or Klopp to City so our ex-Barca guys need to get their former colleague lined-up to take over in the summer.

It's something noone seems willing to pick up on, but to me it shone through like a beacon. They played like a unit. They kept their shape. They were superbly organised and worked like dogs. They smiled on the pitch, encouraged each other, celebrated as a team. The manager prowled the touchline, encouraging, talking to players, hugging them as they went on, hugging them as they came off. You could see the "togetherness", even though the game was a dead rubber and they played their reserves.

We were the exact opposite. Frustrated, falling out, manager screaming abuse on the touchline. Everyone blaming everyone else.

The contrast shocked me. I smelt coffee....

Dave, as you know, everything comes down to making the whole greater than the sum of individual parts.

Simple fact is we are nowhere near that at the moment, literally miles away.

What I can't work out though, is why. Mancini has shown he can get the team to perform, we did at the end of 2010/2011 season and the start and end of last season.

In terms of togetherness, did you read the quotes from Silva the other day. He said the morale against Chelsea and Wigan was at a real low, after going out of the Champions League. So there is an obvious knock on effect of being so poor in Europe. Fair enough we wherein a group of death, but to be consistently so poor has really knocked the players.

At the moment we are winning because of the talent at our disposal ( in the League) simply because we have too much for the opposition. It remains how long this can last without really playing well though. It's half way through the season, and we need to click into gear soon. To your argument are we winning in spite of him, or because of him.....at the moment I think it is in spite of him, something isn't quite right. At least we are picking up results.

Soon, (hopefully Sunday) we will click, and start winning because of Mancini and return to the football we saw at the start of last season.

BillyShears said:
Didsbury Dave said:
OB1 said:
Last night was truly abysmal. I know Didsbury Dave commented much earlier in this thread on the contrast between Klopp and his team and City and it was a sickening comparison because it demonstrated how much better we should be. Another telling point was when they flashed up the distance covered at around 70 minutes and Dortmund had run a considerable distance further than City.

We have shown no progression this season, in fact, we have gone backwards.

I don't think we can get Jose or Klopp to City so our ex-Barca guys need to get their former colleague lined-up to take over in the summer.

It's something noone seems willing to pick up on, but to me it shone through like a beacon. They played like a unit. They kept their shape. They were superbly organised and worked like dogs. They smiled on the pitch, encouraged each other, celebrated as a team. The manager prowled the touchline, encouraging, talking to players, hugging them as they went on, hugging them as they came off. You could see the "togetherness", even though the game was a dead rubber and they played their reserves.

We were the exact opposite. Frustrated, falling out, manager screaming abuse on the touchline. Everyone blaming everyone else.

The contrast shocked me. I smelt coffee....

As you said earlier Dave, the contrast was in the dugout rather than in the abilities and qualities of the players on show.

I'm afraid that all of the above is true.

Damocles said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Damocles said:

No, not because they lost a game.

Because it was a clear indication as to one of the biggest reasons why Mancini's City have failed in Europe this season and Klopp's Dortmund have succeeded - with significantly inferior players.

How would you define Mancini's tenure at City, overall, out of the following two words:

1) Success

2) Failure

Moo

Damocles said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Damocles said:

I reckon that by the end of the game the Dortmund players would have run on average 1 km more than their opponents. If I am right about that, it is unacceptable.

Now it does reflect a difference in approach of the managers but I know which approach I prefer.

My biggest concern with Mancini has always been his approach to man-management and last night amplified that. However, the tactical approach has not progressed as I would have hopoed and that was also put into stark relief last night.

Not mourinho. the owners want someone who will stick round for many years. look at mourinho's history... he can't stay at a club for more than 3 years

strongbowholic said:
How would you define Mancini's tenure at City, overall, out of the following two words:

1) Success

2) Failure

Moo

I really don't know where you are going with this?

Clearly he's HAD success. Has he been universally successful, then no obviously not.

"Moo" is the only valid response.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.