Mourinho or Mancini

nevilletogoater-in said:
Caveman said:
nevilletogoater-in said:
i think as a collective we are very grateful for being taken over and winning the league last year but there's got to come a point where we've got to start matching the owners ambitions.
Yes, the one where Khaldoon stated that Sheikh Mansour has a ten year plan, not four year and three month plan.

The 10 year plan was when Hughes was in charge, then we were informed that we had moved ahead of schedule and the plan had now been revised. The 10 year plan is now to do with the academy. Khaldoon in his own words in pre season said that he wanted us to now start to challenge both domestically and in Europe.

We've failed in 1 so far. Massively!!
So far.

People said we failed to get into a Chmapions League spot in 2009-10. People said we failed to win the league in 2010-11.

After our performance at home to Madrid the other week, I have no doubt in my mind that next year we will win our three home games in the CL. Something seemed to click with us in that game - we dominated possession, we created lots of chances, we kept all of their dangerous players fairly quiet, also the crowd were better than we had been before in the CL. Exactly what we should be doing in CL home games.

I didn't feel like that back in September. I don't think we're as good as some people think we are and I thought we'd struggle and finish third, we struggled and finished fourth so I wasn't far off at all.

Berkovic_blue said:
Well I've just looked at the stats from the Everton, Arsenal and Chelsea games and compared them to last season. In every case we had almost as many shots on target (1 or 2 less) as last year. That to me says the problem is missed chances. Oh, and we're still the 2nd highest scorers in the league currently.

Stats can be very, very misleading. In some games we have 20 shots yet when you watch the game the goalkeeper is tested once as half of them hit a defender or don't even reach the goalkeeper.

Can you list the great clear cut chances for those three games for me? Because from memory I could probably list them on one hand.

Creatively bankrupt indeed

So you don't think there is a problem with our service to the strikers in recent games. REALLY?

Berkovic_blue said:
LoveCity said:
Berkovic_blue said:
IMO this is mostly due to the forwards being in average form and failing to take the chances presented.

That may have been the problem against West Ham but in other recent games the problem isn't the forwards failing to take the chances presented, it's the failure to PRESENT chances to the forwards. I've been saying it a lot recently, you'd be hard pressed to find a top club in Europe as creatively bankrupt in the final third as we are at the moment. It's staggering how low on ideas we are after all the money spent - instead of spending millions on efficient but limited midfielders (Garcia, Rodwell), we should have added some fresh creativity in any or all of three areas (midfield, attacking midfield, wings).

Well I've just looked at the stats from the Everton, Arsenal and Chelsea games and compared them to last season. In every case we had almost as many shots on target (1 or 2 less) as last year. That to me says the problem is missed chances. Oh, and we're still the 2nd highest scorers in the league currently. Creatively bankrupt indeed.

-- Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:52 pm --

nevilletogoater-in said:
Berkovic_blue said:
See, to me this is completely nonsensical. It's as if you're just bored of the title win and you seem to believe we can go up another 3 levels instantly under a new manager.

Simple question, would you prefer to be in the knockout stages of the CL if it meant being 11pts behind in the league?

I'll answer your question in the form of a question.

Would you prefer to be out of the champions league without winning a single game whilst playing shit and be 3 points behind in the league?

At last, reality

Yes, because it's better than being 11pts behind obviously and we'll be top by tea-time on Sunday. Now answer the question.

Now of course I wouldn't take it but that's not the argument. That's a hypothetical situation that no one would agree to. The fact is, we're out of the champs league cos frankly we've been shit and we've been stuttering in the league. It's ok making the excuse we're unbeaten but we could go unbeaten all season and get relegated.

greasedupdeafguy said:
Berkovic_blue said:
nevilletogoater-in said:
Mancini has taken us as far as he can and I think it's time to move on.

See, to me this is completely nonsensical. It's as if you're just bored of the title win and you seem to believe we can go up another 3 levels instantly under a new manager.

Simple question, would you prefer to be in the knockout stages of the CL if it meant being 11pts behind in the league?
So its impossible to perform well in the league and in the Cl at the same time?

The evidence suggests it is hugely difficult not impossible, therefore it's unrealistic to expect to dominate both after 2 years.

Not just talking about Dortmund and RM either. Have a look how the other qualifiers are doing.

LoveCity said:
Berkovic_blue said:
Well I've just looked at the stats from the Everton, Arsenal and Chelsea games and compared them to last season. In every case we had almost as many shots on target (1 or 2 less) as last year. That to me says the problem is missed chances. Oh, and we're still the 2nd highest scorers in the league currently.

Stats can be very, very misleading. In some games we have 20 shots yet when you watch the game the goalkeeper is tested once as half of them hit a defender or don't even reach the goalkeeper.

Can you list the great clear cut chances for those three games for me? Because from memory I could probably list them on one hand.

Creatively bankrupt indeed

So you don't think there is a problem with our service to the strikers in recent games. REALLY?

Not a consistent problem in my opinion, although pretty true of the Wigan performance.

Caveman said:
nevilletogoater-in said:
Caveman said:
Yes, the one where Khaldoon stated that Sheikh Mansour has a ten year plan, not four year and three month plan.

The 10 year plan was when Hughes was in charge, then we were informed that we had moved ahead of schedule and the plan had now been revised. The 10 year plan is now to do with the academy. Khaldoon in his own words in pre season said that he wanted us to now start to challenge both domestically and in Europe.

So far.

People said we failed to get into a Chmapions League spot in 2009-10. People said we failed to win the league in 2010-11.

After our performance at home to Madrid the other week, I have no doubt in my mind that next year we will win our three home games in the CL. Something seemed to click with us in that game - we dominated possession, we created lots of chances, we kept all of their dangerous players fairly quiet, also the crowd were better than we had been before in the CL. Exactly what we should be doing in CL home games.

I didn't feel like that back in September. I don't think we're as good as some people think we are and I thought we'd struggle and finish third, we struggled and finished fourth so I wasn't far off at all.

Aside from the fact that Madrid could have again been 6-0 up inside 25mins do you not think that we kept possession in none key areas. Possession isn't the problem, it's what we do with it.

Pam said:
nevilletogoater-in said:
Caveman said:

Oh come on, ffs, the owners are as interested in winning our domestic league as we are. It is the most watched and the most competitive league in Europe.

Pam what most people seem to ignore is that there is additional revenue from success in CL - and I just don't mean winning it. £1m for a win I heard bandied around -and the potential of further fans across the world. Commercial revenue and new fans is what the owners want to see.

If some people in the far east saw the Dortmund or Madrid games - who's products would they have most likely have gone and bought. Not City!!

The failure in the CL is having a financial impact on the club - The bosses are also interested in return on investment and forecasted return.

We're happy as we are doing ok domestically but there is a bigger picture.

nevilletogoater-in said:
Caveman said:
nevilletogoater-in said:

So far.

Aside from the fact that Madrid could have again been 6-0 up inside 25mins do you not think that we kept possession in none key areas. Possession isn't the problem, it's what we do with it.
They had two chances other than their goal. I don't see how they could have been 6-0 up.

LoveCity said:
Berkovic_blue said:

lol, was waiting for that and you didn't dissapoint. It's the easy get out and renders further discussion pointless.

I obviously was not counting blocked shots.

Berkovic_blue said:
lol, was waiting for that and you didn't dissapoint. It's the easy get out and renders further discussion pointless.

I obviously was not counting blocked shots.

Then please, list all our great chances against Everton, Arsenal, and Chelsea. Everton and Chelsea are fresh in my mind and their goalkeepers hardly had to make a save.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.