Moving to Australia

supercity88 said:
lostmyhouseski said:
supercity88 said:
I seem to be in a minority when I say I didn't like Melbourne. It has great facilities, things to do and is clean etc but I just found it to be a bit European and I liked Sydney a lot more largely because of the iconic places. Most people I know loved it and stayed to work there but I just wasn't too keen. I didn't explore much other than to head down the Great Ocean Road for a couple of days.

ha since when has being too european a bad thing? :) personally I found sydney great to visit but melbourne much easier to live in. Unfortunately the opera house and bondi beach doesn't typically feature in your daily commute. Melbourne is also smaller, more tangible and understated- all of which make for a better city in my opinion.

some say we have no culture, others that we are too european- I'm confused

I just felt it was like any other City in Europe, that's not a bad thing but travelling all the way to Australia I wasn't going to settle somewhere that I could have flown an hour for... in terms of culture Melbourne has it's fair share. There's no history to it but it depends how much you think culture is dependent on history.

I wanted the typical postcard Australia really... decent beaches, warm weather etc and Melbourne didn't satisfy enough. It probably didn't help that I stayed central whereas my first port of call after landing at Sydney was Coogee.

I chased the sun largely. Arrived for the end of summer in Sydney, moved up to Queensland for winter where it rained about an hour a week. Then back to Sydney for another summer and off to Perth for the next winter (which stayed mild).

actually mate I share your feelings about Melbs, I visited once and wasnt that impressed whereas I love Sydney

Sydney is gorgeous

blue roo said:
Expensive or not.
Cultured or not....

..... I have to disagree with nimrod's original post , it's the best country on earth to live a safe , healthy, happy life for you and your family .......so , if you're that way inclined give it a go. They always say that you regret things in life that you didn't do , not things that you did.
The only thing missing is watching the blues in the flesh , I know that's a big thing for some people but at least we get to watch EVERY game live.
Perth is a fantastic place ,nearly emigrated there 20 od years ago but it didnt work out

Germany probably has more going for it than Australia. Scandinavian countries are also very pleasant.

It's full of deadly animals, ridiculously hot weather and utter dick heads... That's why you shouldn't move there.

I bloody love Australia. Been three times on hols. Sydney, Perth, Brisbane, Cairns. Just love it. Australians just seem to have the lifestyle nailed - lots to do with weather no doubt but also seemed to me lots to do with a positive attitude. You can get false impressions when you are on hols so maybe I'm wrong. Have the view of Sydney harbour bridge and opera house as my screen saver for the last 7 years - stunning! Wish I had moved there when I was in my 20's.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.